Ever been taken to cleaner by the Tolls ?

Teddy KGB

Local bridge here is taking me to the woodshed for 700.00 over a handful of trips across the bridge with some ungodly late fees.  

Paying 106.00 for one trip across in 2016.  

Anyone else ever get fleeced with insane charges due to late toll payments ? 

Edited by Teddy KGB

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No.  I just pay my tolls to the toll troll when I cross his bridge.

I wish that was an option as I would be out 50.00 not 700.00 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Usually, if you're diligent about it, they'll remove the late fees. Sometimes, because i use Slea-z-pass, I get the point where I've depleted it and accidentally cross without toll. A simple phone call will fix the issue

Not with this bridge.   They will not assist at all and have me by the balls through DMV restraints. 

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How long were you delinquent?

Couple years.    I have 5 accounts for some reason with 3 diff debt collectors for one truck 

They won’t consolidate them into one and assess fees on that or let me pay through them 

Thought I owed them 100 w late fees assessed but now I’m on the hook for 700

Edited by Teddy KGB

Should have used the lock and dam.  It's toll free, "common highways"... Guaranteed toll free by the US Constitution.

$700.00.  How many times did you not pay?

Deadbeat.

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Usually, if you're diligent about it, they'll remove the late fees. Sometimes, because i use Slea-z-pass, I get the point where I've depleted it and accidentally cross without toll. A simple phone call will fix the issue

This.

If you miss a toll.  Just go online and pay right away.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's one trip cost?  Probably goes up by axle too (higher for semis)?

$35 iirc. I was just up there and considered crossing it but $70 to go over and back didn't sound good unless I knew I could get a U-eey on the other side before the toll.

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

It is but I’m a fan as you can actually pay there as opposed to this pay by plate nonsense that doesn’t give you that option 

I can't stand that *****. I was driving to Baltimore years ago and got stuck in a lane that did ya in by the plate without easy pass. No one was letting me merge.  They sent me a bill for $7.60 or some ***** like that. I called over the course of 3 months and told them I'd never pay and that they can take me to collections if they dared but then I'd file suit against them for extortion by some law I made up of NC law and basically annoyedthe ***** out of them until they dropped it. It was a slow time at work so I spent maybe 10 hours all told on it while bored at the day job.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Local bridge here is taking me to the woodshed for 700.00 over a handful of trips across the bridge with some ungodly late fees.  

Paying 106.00 for one trip across in 2016.  

Anyone else ever get fleeced with insane charges due to late toll payments ? 

I know they are having a butt load of trouble with the new system over the Grand Island bridge...

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

$35 iirc. I was just up there and considered crossing it but $70 to go over and back didn't sound good unless I knew I could get a U-eey on the other side before the toll.

Holy shi... That be expensive!

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know they are having a butt load of trouble with the new system over the Grand Island bridge...

??? That's E-ZPass.  My I-Pass (Illinois) even works on the G.Island Bridges since it is part of the E-ZPass system.

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Holy shi... That be expensive!

??? That's E-ZPass.  My I-Pass (Illinois) even works on the G.Island Bridges since it is part of the E-ZPass system.

all the toll booths are gone now...even people with the pass are getting cgarged sometimes $97.00 instead of  $.97 .

And horror stories about people switching lanes etc ..

And GI residents have had a devil of a time getting the right amount discounted..i think they pay $.08 a trip

it is funny to watch all the motorcycles pop wheelies over the camera range to avoid paying

Last December, we arrived at Washington Dulles, and it was snowing.  Normally avoid the Capital Beltway, and DC mess but because of the weather, we decided that it may be the best/safest way to Richmond.  Drove the Express lanes, but it cost about $55.  Fair enough, it was our choice BUT what do the people do that have to do that every day to get to/from work?

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

I was referring to the charges for tolls etc that seemed excessive and hard to track 

I find that incredible. My commute, as it is, involves five different toll collections per day. Never once had a stray, oddball charge on there. Maybe you had a faulty unit?

29 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Amazing since I've never even been warned and I'm a serious toll booth speed violator lol

it happened years ago when i lived in buffalo.  the bad thing was that the bill/violations were being sent to my parent's house, (i was in school) so i never knew it was suspended.  every time i went through, it was a violation, and was dinged for it.  

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

all the toll booths are gone now...even people with the pass are getting cgarged sometimes $97.00 instead of  $.97 .

And horror stories about people switching lanes etc ..

And GI residents have had a devil of a time getting the right amount discounted..i think they pay $.08 a trip

it is funny to watch all the motorcycles pop wheelies over the camera range to avoid paying

Yikes!!!

Got fined for no toll when I clearly had a toll collector gizmo on my car.  My wife and I both have one but she decided she did not need it and I had it in my glove compartment to return for deposit.  When I called I stated they were mistaken in that I had a gizmo and account shows that it is collecting on same day they stated I did not pay so they did some research and stated a different gizmo was checked and rather than checking the gizmo mounted in proper place, only place it is supposed to look for it the checking machine found the gizmo in glove compartment.  Their answer was while they only guarantee it will find one mounted in another place it will occasionally find another one if it is in same vehicle something which is not listed in instructions.  I went to office to talk to them and get deposit back and was told for some BS that I could not get deposit back so I told them I was going to give it to someone who wants to experiment on ways to manipulate system and I was told that was illegal so I told them that was not in agreement I signed as long as you refuse to give me deposit it is mine to do with what I want with it.

This is a problem around here too for the Grand Island bridges.  The company they outsourced this too is coming under heavy fire for charging extreme late fees, like $50 for a $1 toll or something along those lines (at times without ever billing people the original toll via the mail as they are supposed to).  They claim its because people don't have accurate addresses on file with the DMV.  I'm calling BS.

Luckily, I have an ez pass that automatically gets funded so I never run out and never get billed by the cash-less toll systems.  But in general, their technology is not up to speed with the amount of traffic they handle and I would not at all be surprised if there is a class action law suit on this in the near future.

our Highway 407 charges by the kilometer and by exit/entrance (unless you get a transponder for $25 a year)

many in my life on principle despise it and won't use it (good!)

no problems with billing over the last 20 or so years

only once in 20 years have i sat still for more than a minute due to traffic, one of the best things for distance travel away from Toronto