Allen's Last Pass (12/2): Bad Pass or Drop?

Gugny

Allen's Last Pass (12/2): Bad Pass or Drop?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Allen's Last Pass (12/2): Bad Pass or Drop?

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

When he saw the ball wasnt going to make it he started coming back. WATCH 

You can watch for yourself. The all 22 view is a few posts up. While Allen is running left, Clay is still drifting slowly to the right. I don't think he believed there was any chance the ball was coming back to him. Which for 90% of QBs would be correct. When your QB has a rocket arm and starts scrambling you have to run with him. He should have been coming back to the goal line before the ball was even released. He tried to recover too late and he still could have made it in time but he misjudged the trajectory and dove too early. Not only did he give up on the play, he screwed up the catch. I don't blame Allen at all. It took a heroic effort to get the pass that far.

• Like (+1) 2

The All 22 captures the moment quite well. Clay clearly gives up on the play and assumes that Allen is going to be sacked. I'm not sure if he waves his arms at all to get Allen's attention or Allen just sees him wide open. He looks really slow as he moves back to the ball almost like he didn't see it coming until it was in the air. But he has a ton of time to get back to the pass precisely because the pass is a wobbler. Clay is also not pressured by anyone so he is not distracted. He then stumbles and dives but still the pass hits him in the arms and he just completely botches it. Totally catchable ball that was dropped and it snuffs out whatever slim chances we had. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You can watch for yourself. The all 22 view is a few posts up. While Allen is running left, Clay is still drifting slowly to the right. I don't think he believed there was any chance the ball was coming back to him. Which for 90% of QBs would be correct. When your QB has a rocket arm and starts scrambling you have to run with him. He should have been coming back to the goal line before the ball was even released. He tried to recover too late and he still could have made it in time but he misjudged the trajectory and dove too early. Not only did he give up on the play, he screwed up the catch. I don't blame Allen at all. It took a heroic effort to get the pass that far.

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The All 22 captures the moment quite well. Clay clearly gives up on the play and assumes that Allen is going to be sacked. I'm not sure if he waves his arms at all to get Allen's attention or Allen just sees him wide open. He looks really slow as he moves back to the ball almost like he didn't see it coming until it was in the air. But he has a ton of time to get back to the pass precisely because the pass is a wobbler. Clay is also not pressured by anyone so he is not distracted. He then stumbles and dives but still the pass hits him in the arms and he just completely botches it. Totally catchable ball that was dropped and it snuffs out whatever slim chances we had. 

Thanks to both of you...I was beginning to wonder if I was viewing the play from a parallel dimension where reality was skewed.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That all sounds great, but the rocket armed QB  didn't throw a rocket.  

• Like (+1) 1

Can't fault either.

Pass from Allen was under duress and he couldn't get everything under the throw, resulting in a wobbler that fell short of its mark.

Clay tried to come back to the ball thinking he'd have his feet under him, synced up with his hands to the ball, but he loss his footing; the ball hit his hands but his anticipation was likely thrown off.

I wish Dawkins could have kept Quinn out of the backfield for a few seconds longer on the pass rush.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a throw across the field at about the 40?  So add in another 15-20 yards as far as width....that's close to 60 yards on the run under duress and running.

A rocket arm is what even got it close.  

It didn't come out of his hand cleanly just as the 1st half ending Mail Mary attempt didn't.  Both quacked their way through the air as ducks unlike many of his other passes in the game.  No amount of yakety yak explains that away. That said, Clay still could have made a play for him. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It didn't come out of his hand cleanly just as the 1st half ending Mail Mary attempt didn't.  Both quacked their way through the air as ducks unlike many of his other passes in the game.  No amount of yakety yak explains that away. That said, Clay still could have made a play for him. 

Yeah it didn't come out of his hand correctly and it was a wobbler...still got it there.  That's what was really impressive.

It seems to me you're still bitter about selecting Allen over Rosen and going to be extra critical of Allen going forward.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah it didn't come out of his hand correctly and it was a wobbler...still got it there.  That's what was really impressive.

It seems to me you're still bitter about selecting Allen over Rosen and going to be extra critical of Allen going forward.

It seems to me you're haven't been paying attention to what I post about Allen where I offer plenty of praise for his good play.  Pay attention and don't post ignorance.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

90% of ducks are the equivalent of lobs, with no velocity, and lose a lot of oomph. His pass wobbled but in no way was it a 'wounded duck." It still had a lot of velocity on it from where and when it was thrown. It wasn't a duck at all, it just wasn't a spiral. It got there pretty quick.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

90% of ducks are the equivalent of lobs, with no velocity, and lose a lot of oomph. His pass wobbled but in no way was it a 'wounded duck." It still had a lot of velocity on it from where and when it was thrown. It wasn't a duck at all, it just wasn't a spiral. It got there pretty quick.

The only thing that matters is that it got there (and should have been caught).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think you're confusing form (tight spiral) vs. distance.  He still threw the hell out of those balls even if they weren't pretty. 

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think you're confusing form (tight spiral) vs. distance.  He still threw the hell out of those balls even if they weren't pretty. 

As Payton M.once said about him throwing Ducks"Those Ducks score Touchdowns"!

Edited by Buffaloflash

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Quack! Quack!