Perhaps Tom D. is not the idiot everyone

We have wanted to stone him for letting Jennings and Williams get away

We have wanted to lynch him for not signing more quality OL free agents

We have wanted to stretch him for not trading Travis Henry sooner

BUT......

What if what has gone on this offseason is nothing more then the fact that Tom Donahoe realizes the only REAL way to biuld your line and not end up in cap hell is to DO IT THROUGH THE DRAFT

- They are generally cheaper (especially if you aren't picking in the 1st round)

- You get to keep them for longer

- You get to biuld better continuity with them under a good OL coach

Perhaps the swapping of picks in the Shelton/Henry trade has been TD's plan all along.....to get in a inexpensie LT.....then get a quality LG in the draft (and probably also a 2nd OL...hopefully a center)

Perhaps there IS a method to TD's madness.....

BUT......

What if what has gone on this offseason is nothing more then the fact that Tom Donahoe realizes the only REAL way to biuld your line and not end up in cap hell is to DO IT THROUGH THE DRAFT

- They are generally cheaper (especially if you aren't picking in the 1st round)

Perhaps the swapping of picks in the Shelton/Henry trade has been TD's plan all along.....to get in a inexpensie LT.....then get a quality LG in the draft (and probably also a 2nd OL...hopefully a center)

286002[/snapback]

What's with this "we" stuff???? <_< Maybe the reactionists felt that way but the realists knew it's not smart to overpay for players.

While I do agree that the majority of your team should be built on the draft, (longer contracts) however when you have spot on your team that you've targeted as an immediate need due to the loss of a player or it is a need that hurts you year after year, then Free agency is the way to go IMO. If you just draft at that position it's more than likely you will continue to have the same problem for at the very least 1 to 2 years and theirs also the risk in drafting a player who has never played at the pro level. It's better to get something for Travis rather than nothing and right now I simply don't agree on not doing a player for player swap.

BUT......

I hate to be the one to bring you down to earth on this one....but....

This is Donahoes fifth draft

The time to begin building the o-line through the draft was his first draft!!!

I know that I am not as smart as the master poker player Donahoe, and I am not paid to be a G.M.

Drafting is also a much bigger risk, IMHO.

286030[/snapback]

A real draftnik may argue that offensive linesmen have some of the highest percentages of "effective" immediate gratification in terms of making it from the draft to the starting lineup and having an impact. Moreso than a QB, RB, or even receiver.

If memory serves, Mr. Rich has an opinion on this topic. I'm just a humble draft day viewer.

BUT......

I know that I am not as smart as the master poker player Donahoe, and I am not paid to be a G.M.

286067[/snapback]

Donahoe has picked up several offensive linemen in the draft. Not all have worked out, but that's the nature of the draft.

And let's not forget that he also had to rebuild other areas of the team. It's not like the only area of need over the last 4 years has been offensive line.

BUT......

286067[/snapback]

Thank you. How many starting O-linemen did TD draft, Oh yeah ONE.

BUT......

286002[/snapback]

This realization is coming about, oh, four years too late.

Did I mention we are starting a rookie QB this year also with no LT?

Yet.

Donahoe has picked up several offensive linemen in the draft.  Not all have worked out, but that's the nature of the draft.

And let's not forget that he also had to rebuild other areas of the team.  It's not like the only area of need over the last 4 years has been offensive line.

286089[/snapback]

True. Haven't had an offensive line for more like 10 years.

You must be a proponent of the 10 year rebuilding plan.

<_<

'everyone' says he is?

only idiots say that tom donahoe is an idiot.

tom is well respected among league GMs and owners for a reason. The opinions of a few fans who THINK they know personnel but don't know a fraction of a fraction of what it takes to run an NFL franchise, mean absolutely nothing.

Next year's draft is rated higher than this one. By not signing any big free agents and letting both Williams and Jennings leave, we will probably get several extra picks in next year's draft. Perhaps 2 third round picks. Besides, next year we have Nate Clements and several other free agents to try to lock-up for long term deals. The future is still bright.

'everyone' says he is?

tom is well respected among league GMs and owners for a reason. The opinions of a few fans who THINK they know personnel but don't know a fraction of a fraction of what it takes to run an NFL franchise, mean absolutely nothing.

286124[/snapback]

Yeah, New England loves him!

Yes, on 3... everyone bend over for TD! One... two....

BUT......

286002[/snapback]

True.  Haven't had an offensive line for more like 10 years.

<_<

286123[/snapback]

Dude, you just posted three in a row, doesnt that qualify as LAMP?

TD didn't draft Jennings and Williams?

286126[/snapback]

Jennings doesn't play for us anymore, so yes, one (1).

You generally need five, or at least three or four.

286143[/snapback]

Dude, give up your crusade against donahoe already...you've posted like 50 times in ther past 36 hrs, all of them saying how bad TD sucks in regards to the o-line and his drafting...give it up already, its gettin old...

Dude, give up your crusade against donahoe already...you've posted like 50 times in ther past 36 hrs, all of them saying how bad TD sucks in regards to the o-line and his drafting...give it up already, its gettin old...

286145[/snapback]

All on my thread. Except these.

BUT......

286067[/snapback]

i hear ya man, but people forget he basically inherited an expansion team because of butler's overspending. that's the reason i am not completely down on the guy.

286143[/snapback]

I dont mean to split hairs here....but the question was DRAFTED LINEMEN....

and that would make 2 with Jennings and Williams

Personally....the reason why I started this post is I wonder if TD is having some sort of forsight that tells him that there really is no way to keep your good linemen for a long period of time unless you draft them......

286145[/snapback]

Oh, this isnt the thread for the Donahoe circle jerk? Am I in the wrong room? Wrong day? <_<

From an outside view, Donahoe did an amazing job recenlt, getting Evans, WM and JP most recently, so why's everyone bitchin?

286143[/snapback]

Man, you're nothing but a spinner. So you don't want to count the Bills 9-7 record last year as a winning record, instead you want to count Donahoe's total record to label him loser.

At the same time, you discount any starter he drafted during that time who is no longer on the team.

So you want to count his four year record when discussing wins and losses, but you want to discount it when discussing his drafting ability.

Way to frame the argument. <_<

True.  Haven't had an offensive line for more like 10 years.

<_<

286123[/snapback]

Despite 'not having an offensive line for like 10 years,' the Bills have posted several 1,000 yard rushers and set the franchise passing record during the last 10 years. So, once again, you exagerate the poor performance of the team.

And I'm not a proponent of the 10 year rebuilding plan, because it doesn't exist. The line has had posted good seasons over the last 10 years, and the Bills have had winning records during many seasons over the last 10 years.

The Bills have had 1 rebuilding plan over the last 10 years, which started in 2001. I am a proponent of that plan, because I see it working.

Drafting is also a much bigger risk, IMHO.

286030[/snapback]

I think, if you closely look at all the OL picks in the last few years in the 1st

few rounds of the draft, they all pretty much have been successful with their

teams (Unlike QBs, DEs etc).

286124[/snapback]

This sums it up......they're going to feel like idiots, too, by around December.

If TD had drafted more OL's to be starters, perhaps we would not today have the #2 defense in the NFL.

Very few teams have both units in the top 5-10, and if I had to pick one unit to be elite on my team, I'd go with defense too. All things being equal I think you get more wins that way, especially playing in the WNY climate.

John's point (long lost in an evaluation of TDs overall performance by those who clearly could have done a better job - yea , right) is that TD may have shifted (in part, out of cap necessity) to stage 2 - continue to build through the draft using players who cost little and will be around for a while. It may not produce a Super Bowl in 2006, but can we wait a year or two? I, for one can, but I suspect that many out there must "have it now."

BUT......

286002[/snapback]

So what you are saying is that 5 years into his regime, he really does have a plan to build a decent offensive line? :doh:

I don't care how he gets a line in here, just that he gets it done and does it soon before our defense evaporates and we have to start rebuilding that too.