Bills Release Peterman

Steptide

1 minute ago, Miracle Bills said:

Dibiase isn't making excuses for Peterman. He is stating Peterman never should have been put in the spots he was put in. How can you expect a rookie to play well in an offense that an experienced veteran like Tyrod Taylor could not even play well in? A smart coach never pulls Tyrod and gives a start to Peterman. 

That's kind of the way I looked at it. The team put Peterman in way over his head and he played like a player in way over his head. That's not to say that Peterman would have been anything special had he been a third stringer for 3-4 years to start his career, but rather that his career would have stood a chance at some sort of progression had he been handled like a standard mid round QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

Dibiase isn't making excuses for Peterman. He is stating Peterman never should have been put in the spots he was put in. How can you expect a rookie to play well in an offense that an experienced veteran like Tyrod Taylor could not even play well in? A smart coach never pulls Tyrod and gives a start to Peterman. 

That may not be Dibiase's intent, but the intent doesn't matter. That's exactly how it reads. Like I said, the idea that Peterman was put in a position he "never should have been put in" is preposterous and the idea that, as a grown man who has spent his athletic life preparing for just such an opportunity should be coddled because he wasn't "ready for it"  is an even bigger insult to Peterman. 

And coaches; smart, dumb, or in between do dumb things (in hindsight) all the time. In trying to give his struggling team a spark and a rallying point after another flat offensive performance, he tried something and it failed miserably. That's on McD. 

You know what's not on McD? Observing that Peterman was his best QB in camp and preseason who clearly won the job. It's on Peterman, and Peterman alone, for not being able to translate practice performance into game performance. He simply wasn't up for the task. It happens; that's as far as it goes. Dibiase et al should try to understand that instead of tossing out the idea that Peterman didn't have a "proper" opportunity. It rings hollow and doesn't serve Nathan Peterman one bit. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That may not be Dibiase's intent, but the intent doesn't matter. That's exactly how it reads. Like I said, the idea that Peterman was put in a position he "never should have been put in" is preposterous and the idea that, as a grown man who has spent his athletic life preparing for just such an opportunity should be coddled because he wasn't "ready for it"  is an even bigger insult to Peterman. 

And coaches; smart, dumb, or in between do dumb things (in hindsight) all the time. In trying to give his struggling team a spark and a rallying point after another flat offensive performance, he tried something and it failed miserably. That's on McD. 

You know what's not on McD? Observing that Peterman was his best QB in camp and preseason who clearly won the job. It's on Peterman, and Peterman alone, for not being able to translate practice performance into game performance. He simply wasn't up for the task. It happens; that's as far as it goes. Dibiase et al should try to understand that instead of tossing out the idea that Peterman didn't have a "proper" opportunity. It rings hollow and doesn't serve Nathan Peterman one bit. 

Your reasoning is just like the reasoning of all the people that said Zay Jones was a bust.  Learning how to quarterback in the NFL or play receiver in the NFL is not easy and it is especially not easy with two different offensive coordinators. Nobody is saying Peterman is an NFL quarterback but what people are saying is he was set up for failure from the beginning. 

People forget Alex Smith started his career out with similar stats to Nathan Peterman. I don't think Peterman is a starting NFL quarterback, but like Dibiase I think people should not be rushed along and set up for failure.

1 hour ago, Miracle Bills said:

Your reasoning is just like the reasoning of all the people that said Zay Jones was a bust.  Learning how to quarterback in the NFL or play receiver in the NFL is not easy and it is especially not easy with two different offensive coordinators. Nobody is saying Peterman is an NFL quarterback but what people are saying is he was set up for failure from the beginning. 

People forget Alex Smith started his career out with similar stats to Nathan Peterman. I don't think Peterman is a starting NFL quarterback, but like Dibiase I think people should not be rushed along and set up for failure.

It's not the same reasoning at all. 

We are conflating the issue here. Just because Peterman wasn't able to seize his opportunity doesn't mean we don't understand that he needed more development time. That's rather obvious.

But Peterman doesn't need the Dibiase's of the world trying to say that poor Nathan Peterman never had a chance when he was given the chance. Peterman prepared his entire career for that "chance"; a chance that any QB prospect worth his salt would want. Was Peterman being denied "proper" support when he won the job last preseason? Should he have told the coaches he wasn't ready? Of course not. But as good as he was in practice and preseason games, the real game situations were too big for him. Shame on the coaches for being fooled by those practice and preseason game performances, but Peterman's Jekyl and Hyde performance is on him, too.  

Peterman was not the first and he won't be the last QB to fail when given the opportunity. Could he have used more time and seasoning to become a better QB? Absolutely. But that's a different argument. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Peterman was not the first and he won't be the last QB to fail when given the opportunity. Could he have used more time and seasoning to become a better QB? Absolutely. But that's a different argument. 

I think the point was he is not a starting quarterback but if the Bills had been patient with him and treated him like the 5th rounder he was, he likely would have done better. Fifth round quarterbacks don't start NFL games as rookies. Even Tom Brady only threw 1 pass his entire rookie year.

The thought a team would start a 5th round rookie is not even considered by most coaches.  You can say he would have failed eventually because he is not good, but he should never have been put in situations where his confidence could be ruined. Any evaluator of talent can see he is not some great quarterback who could win NFL games as a starter in his rookie year. The amount of abuse he takes nationally is not his fault. It is the coaches fault for not being able to see he did not belong on the field. He should have been a practice squad project or he should have been cut.

Edited by Miracle Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, GreggTX said:

Since so many of you feel that an inability to play at the NFL level is cause for disrespect, I would ask, what does that say about yourselves? Apparantly you feel that you are even less deserving of respect. Why can't you simply thank him for trying and wish him well. To put it another way, grow up.

That I've been a lot more successful in my field than Nate in his?

7 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

I could see Nate doing quite well in the army.  After all, you don't want those grenades landing anywhere near your own guys!

Yeah, he seems to take abuse well and is definitely not a leader. He’d be Humbled to the point of humiliation...

His panicking when real bullets fly (similar to his onfield play) would be his demise and his platoon (team) unfortunately. 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Miracle Bills said:

I think the point was he is not a starting quarterback but if the Bills had been patient with him and treated him like the 5th rounder he was, he likely would have done better. Fifth round quarterbacks don't start NFL games as rookies. Even Tom Brady only threw 1 pass his entire rookie year.

The thought a team would start a 5th round rookie is not even considered by most coaches.  You can say he would have failed eventually because he is not good, but he should never have been put in situations where his confidence could be ruined. Any evaluator of talent can see he is not some great quarterback who could win NFL games as a starter in his rookie year. The amount of abuse he takes nationally is not his fault. It is the coaches fault for not being able to see he did not belong on the field. He should have been a practice squad project or he should have been cut.

Awe is that you Kevin?

I for one am growing tired of the many classless reports by the so called media and of many of the classless posts aimed at Nate on this board. To the hyper critical media and to some who post here I wonder how many of y'all have attempted to do or achieve something in life that is truly difficult and enormously challenging?  Things such as being a pro or high level athlete, a successful musician, a business founder/owner/manager, a survivor of trauma or disease or anything else that is VERY challenging.  Seriously, how many people can really say they've lived that experience? It's a small percentage of the population folks. I won't defend Nate's performances in games as a Buffalo Bill as they were often bad as was the team around him.  I will say though that most people who have achieved success in highly competitive or demanding professions/environments have had failures and setbacks along the way to success.  Some never achieve the success they want but are nonetheless very talented and determined individuals.  They deserve some level of respect even in failure, for they reached for something more than most and took the risk, had the guts to put themselves out there, operated way outside the comfort zone. 

Nate's a young guy at 24 and deserves respect for the journey that led him to the NFL and in his continued quest to continue his NFL career.  More here should be wishing him well rather than declaring him incapable from behind a keyboard.  I doubt that many here can claim to be subject matter experts in being an NFL QB, yet so many have brazenly weighed in.  The classless media who have piled on Nate with ridicule in recent weeks along with social media posters (people who mostly have no idea what it takes to achieve something big and probably never will) deserve the ridicule IMO.  Seriously ***** them.  It's OK to be critical of someone's performance but kicking them when they're down is B.S. 

Assuming Nate has the competitive fire, I truly hope he can rise above the hate and ridicule and continue his journey with new found determination. I for one will be cheering for him if/when he gets that chance.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

I for one am growing tired of the many classless reports by the so called media and of many of the classless posts aimed at Nate on this board. To the hyper critical media and to some who post here I wonder how many of y'all have attempted to do or achieve something in life that is truly difficult and enormously challenging?  Things such as being a pro or high level athlete, a successful musician, a business founder/owner/manager, a survivor of trauma or disease or anything else that is VERY challenging.  Seriously, how many people can really say they've lived that experience? It's a small percentage of the population folks. I won't defend Nate's performances in games as a Buffalo Bill as they were often bad as was the team around him.  I will say though that most people who have achieved success in highly competitive or demanding professions/environments have had failures and setbacks along the way to success.  Some never achieve the success they want but are nonetheless very talented and determined individuals.  They deserve some level of respect even in failure, for they reached for something more than most and took the risk, had the guts to put themselves out there, operated way outside the comfort zone. 

Nate's a young guy at 24 and deserves respect for the journey that led him to the NFL and in his continued quest to continue his NFL career.  More here should be wishing him well rather than declaring him incapable from behind a keyboard.  I doubt that many here can claim to be subject matter experts in being an NFL QB, yet so many have brazenly weighed in.  The classless media who have piled on Nate with ridicule in recent weeks along with social media posters (people who mostly have no idea what it takes to achieve something big and probably never will) deserve the ridicule IMO.  Seriously ***** them.  It's OK to be critical of someone's performance but kicking them when they're down is B.S. 

Assuming Nate has the competitive fire, I truly hope he can rise above the hate and ridicule and continue his journey with new found determination. I for one will be cheering for him if/when he gets that chance.

He's a scrub and a QB with competitive fire wouldn't be afraid to throw a Hail Mary. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

What a day that was. :lol:

Probably the most pissed I've ever been as a Bills fan the second this broke lol

Inspired me to create an account. So Peterman created me. And I suck on this board. Way to go Pete.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1