Sessions Resigns as AG

Another powerful rebuke of the administration. A letter from more than 400 former Justice Department employees: “Mr. Whitaker has not been confirmed by the Senate, his qualifications to be the nation’s chief law enforcement officer have not been publicly reviewed, and he has not been fully vetted for any potential conflicts of interest. … We therefore call on the President to follow the Constitutional process by nominating an Attorney General, and replacing Mr. Whitaker as Acting Attorney General with the Senate-confirmed official who is next in the line of succession by operation of federal law.”

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Another powerful rebuke of the administration. A letter from more than 400 former Justice Department employees: “Mr. Whitaker has not been confirmed by the Senate, his qualifications to be the nation’s chief law enforcement officer have not been publicly reviewed, and he has not been fully vetted for any potential conflicts of interest. … We therefore call on the President to follow the Constitutional process by nominating an Attorney General, and replacing Mr. Whitaker as Acting Attorney General with the Senate-confirmed official who is next in the line of succession by operation of federal law.”

:lol:  People are now demanding that Trump nominate someone immediately to be confirmed by a lame-duck Senate. 

That is awesome.  Best troll ever.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Cue the "Trump's nominating someone before the next Congress is seated!  This nomination is unconstitutional!"

Not only that, but Trump nominated someone in an election year! #IMPEACH

I think we need to hope and expect that he has more integrity and reverence for the law than Eric Holder or Lorretta Lynch.

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I have to admit - I read this too fast while walking to my car and thought you said Joni Mitchell:oops::lol:

Were you walking through her parking lot?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I think we need to hope and expect that he has more integrity and reverence for the law than Eric Holder or Lorretta Lynch.

Were you walking through her parking lot?

It made me stop because I was thinking, "That's either a new Gator-ism... or a joke... or... (realization sets in) I'm a moron"

President Trump is nominating William Barr, who headed up the Justice Department during the George H.W. Bush administration, to return to that job:

Embedded video

tw7JPE5v_normal.jpgThe Hill

President Trump: "Bill Barr, one of the most respected jurists in the country, highly respected lawyer, former attorney general under the Bush administration, a terrific man... He will be nominated for the United States attorney general." http://hill.cm/qqaQqmW 

Rep. Adam Schiff, who has the highest of hopes that the Mueller investigation will match his rhetoric about Trump and Russia, says Barr is qualified for the job, on one condition:

0DVL6HrY_normal.jpgAdam Schiff
William Barr is qualified, but like Whitaker, his chief appeal to Trump may be his criticism of Mueller and his receptivity to investigating POTUS’s rivals.

Barr must pledge to allow Mueller’s work to continue unimpeded and to allow him to report his findings to the public.

LOL

The AG serves in the executive branch so why he would make a pledge to somebody in the legislative branch is anybody’s guess.

Separation of powers??

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/8/2018 at 3:01 PM, B-Man said:

President Trump is nominating William Barr, who headed up the Justice Department during the George H.W. Bush administration, to return to that job:

Embedded video

Rep. Adam Schiff, who has the highest of hopes that the Mueller investigation will match his rhetoric about Trump and Russia, says Barr is qualified for the job, on one condition:

LOL

The AG serves in the executive branch so why he would make a pledge to somebody in the legislative branch is anybody’s guess.

Separation of powers??

So Schiff wants a pinky promise?

• 2 weeks later...

“A senior Justice Department ethics official concluded acting attorney general Matthew G. Whitaker should recuse from overseeing special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe examining President Trump, but advisers to Whitaker recommended the opposite and he has no plans to step aside, according to people familiar with the matter. . . . Earlier in the day, a different official, who spoke on the condition they not be named, said ethics officials had advised Whitaker need not step aside, only to retract that account hours later.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/ethics-officials-say-whitaker-need-not-recuse-from-supervising-special-counsel-probe-according-to-a-person-familiar-with-the-matter/2018/12/20/76332392-046b-11e9-b5df-5d3874f1ac36_story.html?utm_term=.1576b50a963f

Open corruption, openly arrived at. Hillary had the House Republicans digging in her doo doo for years and found nothing. Trump is in all sorts of trouble and has his little scummy minions trying  to obstruct justice. Why? 

Matthew Whitaker, the acting U.S. attorney general, claimed that he was an Academic All-American while playing football at the University of Iowa—but, according to documents and the organization that awards the honor, he never received the honor. Whitaker, who was a tight end on the Iowa team from 1990 to 1992, claimed the honor on his former law firm’s website, his résumé, and in government documents, according to The Wall Street Journal. He made the same claim in an application for an Iowa judgeship in 2010. Academic All-Americans must be student-athletes with at least a 3.3 cumulative grade point average and are required to be a “starter or important reserve” on their team, according to the report. Another University of Iowa football player is on the All-American list for 1992, the year that Whitaker has said he received the honor.

3.3? Loser!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/acting-attorney-general-matthew-whitaker-falsely-claims-academic-all-american-honors-on-resume-wsj

HEARING ON BARR NOMINATION SET

The Senate Judiciary Committee has set January 15 and 16 as the dates for the confirmation hearing of William Barr, President Trump’s nominee to serve as Attorney General. The Committee now consists of 12 Republicans and 10 Democrats. Cory Booker and Kamala Harris remain on the Committee, so there will be no shortage of showmanship and viciousness. Lindsey Graham now chairs the committee, so there will be some comedy mixed in.

Jeff Flake is gone, for which we should be grateful.

I expect Barr to be confirmed, probably on a straight party vote. Democrats will demand that he (1) commit to recusing himself from the Mueller investigation and, failing that, (2) commit to letting Mueller do whatever he pleases.

Barr will reject these demands, I should think. To ensure Republican support he will probably have to provide some assurances that Mueller will have a fair amount of latitude. But he need not promise that Mueller can do whatever he pleases.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Acting Attorney General Matthew G. Whitaker said he will not appear before Congress on Friday without assurances that he won’t be subpoenaed — giving Democrats a deadline of 6 p.m. Thursday to respond.

Whitaker’s move came shortly after the House Judiciary Committee voted along party lines to give its chairman the authority to subpoena Whitaker’s testimony, should he not appear or answer lawmakers’ questions.

The lawlessness continues. Top law enforcement officer won't talk to law makers! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-panel-authorizes-subpoena-for-acting-attorney-general-whitaker-just-in-case/2019/02/07/1e5ec47a-2af2-11e9-b011-d8500644dc98_story.html?utm_term=.cd0049f5fc5c

Oh this is great! Who's deviated from historical practice? #overhishead #lockhimup 

He said the committee has “deviated from historic practice and protocol and taken the unnecessary and premature step of authorizing a subpoena to me, the acting attorney general, even though I had agreed to voluntarily appear.” He said that move is a breach of his agreement with the panel.