College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn’t take it personal. What happened in the 80s doesn’t happen in college ball anymore 

hammer isn’t trying to be a dick. College Powers don’t go on the road in non conference to mid majors

Bonnie’s , UB have built really good programs as mid majors but they are still mid majors

UB wouldn’t have the same success in the ACC. Though they’d still win games 

Uh, yeah he is.  You weren't here in 2016.............Bona is not App State or Prairie View...............If the A-10 is mid major, then it's the top mid major.  We've had at least 3 bids for a decade or more.  We've had 5-6 bid years.............I don't think App State's league can say that................UB's league hasn't had two bids in almost 20 years I think.  (This year, they almost surely will if UB doesn't win the conference tourney, and the A-10 is way down this year)

Bonas played Syracuse in Rochester the year after Carmelo - it was not in the 80s.  They won't even do that now, despite having the crowd advantage..................But, I do agree that things have changed greatly over the years. 

6 hours ago, bbb said:

Uh, yeah he is.  You weren't here in 2016.............Bona is not App State or Prairie View...............If the A-10 is mid major, then it's the top mid major.  We've had at least 3 bids for a decade or more.  We've had 5-6 bid years.............I don't think App State's league can say that................UB's league hasn't had two bids in almost 20 years I think.  (This year, they almost surely will if UB doesn't win the conference tourney, and the A-10 is way down this year)

Bonas played Syracuse in Rochester the year after Carmelo - it was not in the 80s.  They won't even do that now, despite having the crowd advantage..................But, I do agree that things have changed greatly over the years. 

And your point is?  Bona’s best years were in the 70’s, and then they were absolute garbage for about 2 decades.  The last time they went to the sweet 16 was in 1970.  They've had a couple decent teams in the 21st century, but still have blown in the tourney in each of their 3 opportunities in the 2000’s.  How many players has Bona had drafted into the NBA since I was born nearly 40 years ago...1 maybe 2?  

And how’d Bona do in the tourney last year while Cuse marched to the elite 8 with one of their weaker teams in a decade?

St. Bonaventure has some serious work to do before I would consider them an “upper mid-major.”  Let’s be real.

8 hours ago, bbb said:

SU playing Bonnie’s in Rochester is not playing them at the Reilly center, it’s like a neutral site

and I love Bonnie’s but they are a mid major, even if from a top mid major conference.

they aren’t App state but they also aren’t Butler... fans all have pride in their schools, that’s what makes it special 

the MAC is a terrible league but UB is awesome rn... the A10 is a much better league but has been down some 

but both are Mid Majors no matter how you spin it... they just don’t have the $ or recruiting pull

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What do you think of my local kid Dom Welch?

The team is a total disaster right now.  The two returning starters/best players/senior leaders are both out.  So, it's all frosh and transfers running around like chickens without heads.

Dom was playing solid, but you can tell it's a change for him to not be dominating on his sheer talent.  Major step upwards..............And, then he got hurt!  So, he's missed the last two and a half games.  We're down to 7 scholarship players! 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

they aren’t App state 

Congrats ?

Look man...I don’t dislike Bona.  My sister is a Bona alum (2002).  I’ve been to games at Reilly.  I’ve partied there and had a great time.  It’s a great school, and they love their basketball team.  I respect the program.

You coming in this thread touting that Boeheim is somehow afraid to play Bona at Reilly, in Rochester, or on a playground court in Utica for that matter...is completely asanine.  Major college basketball pograms do not play on the road against mid-major programs prior to their conference schedule.  It’s just the way things are.  

I’ll be at the dome on 12/29 with my son.  If you’re going to the game I’d be happy to buy you some dome-foam ??

1 minute ago, bbb said:

The team is a total disaster right now.  The two returning starters/best players/senior leaders are both out.  So, it's all frosh and transfers running around like chickens without heads.

Dom was playing solid, but you can tell it's a change for him to not be dominating on his sheer talent.  Major step upwards..............And, then he got hurt!  So, he's missed the last two and a half games.  We're down to 7 scholarship players! 

Jeez I didn’t know he got hurt!

is it bad?

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Congrats ?

Look man...I don’t dislike Bona.  My sister is a Bona alum (2002).  I’ve been to games at Reilly.  I’ve partied there and had a great time.  It’s a great school, and they love their basketball team.  I respect the program.

You coming in this thread touting that Boeheim is somehow afraid to play Bona at Reilly, in Rochester, or on a playground court in Utica for that matter...is completely asanine.  Major college basketball pograms do not play on the road against mid-major programs prior to their conference schedule.  It’s just the way things are.  

I’ll be at the dome on 12/29 with my son.  If you’re going to the game I’d be happy to buy you some dome-foam ??

Why did you quote me on that hammer?

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Because @bbb quoted you as saying “they aren’t App State” in response to my to my question “And your point is?”

Well they aren’t app state.. my next line was they also aren’t Butler

I wish nothing but success for Bonnie’s and UB and Canisius and Niagara but I wouldn’t put them on the same level of a program as Syracuse 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You like to make up scenarios that I said in your head.  This is what happened:

On 11/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Normally I wouldn't be talking smack. But I think it's great if someone challenges Syracuse for basketball dominance in NYS.  How great would it be for UB and SU to play every year and make it a rivalry game? Of course they'd have to come to the Key Bank Center once in a while. Not exactly a rivalry if we only play in their building.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:23 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I think it would be awesome for basketball in the state of NY 

but dont get get your hopes up about Boeheim coming to Buffalo for a game... it will NEVER happen while he’s HC

Exactly.  He won't even play Bona in Rochester, even though that was 75% SU at least. 

7 minutes ago, bbb said:

You like to make up scenarios that I said in your head.  This is what happened:

Exactly.  He won't even play Bona in Rochester, even though that was 75% SU at least. 

Whatever dude ? I was being conciliatory, and you again fire back with your stupid drivel.  Enjoy being a Bona fan.  I think I’d rather cheer for App State this year.  Keep savoring that 1970 sweet 16 run ?

I recant my dome-foam offer on 12/29 ?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Whatever dude ? I was being conciliatory, and you again fire back with your stupid drivel.  Enjoy being a Bona fan.  I think I’d rather cheer for App State this year.  Keep savoring that 1970 sweet 16 run ?

I recant my dome-foam offer on 12/29 ?

Dude - you calling what you think I said asinine is not being "conciliatory."   Me just stating what was actually said is not "stupid drivel" - it showed that I was merely agreeing with 716. 

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Vanderbilt loses freshman sensation PG Darius Garland for the season with a meniscus injury.  That sucks.  The kid’s a likely NBA lottery pick, and Vanderbilt was poised for a good season, IMO.

That REALLY sucks. Hope he fully recovers. I have a soft spot in my heart for Vanderbilt and Nashville. This poor kid needs encouragement and well wishes in his recovery. Get well! 

Edited by Augie

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn’t take it personal. What happened in the 80s doesn’t happen in college ball anymore 

hammer isn’t trying to be a dick. College Powers don’t go on the road in non conference to mid majors

Bonnie’s , UB have built really good programs as mid majors but they are still mid majors

UB wouldn’t have the same success in the ACC. Though they’d still win games 

UNC played at Wofford earlier this season.  Boeheim is the ultimate wimp when it comes to scheduling true non conference road games.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

And your point is?  Bona’s best years were in the 70’s, and then they were absolute garbage for about 2 decades.  The last time they went to the sweet 16 was in 1970.  They've had a couple decent teams in the 21st century, but still have blown in the tourney in each of their 3 opportunities in the 2000’s.  How many players has Bona had drafted into the NBA since I was born nearly 40 years ago...1 maybe 2?  

And how’d Bona do in the tourney last year while Cuse marched to the elite 8 with one of their weaker teams in a decade?

St. Bonaventure has some serious work to do before I would consider them an “upper mid-major.”  Let’s be real.

The A-10 is an upper mid major league.  Rhode Island, Dayton/VCU are all upper mid major programs.  Since Bona plays in the same league they do, I would consider them an upper mid major team.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I enjoy him if I’m really baked in small doses.  

Its amusing for a little bit. 

bang on

the best parts are Walton's World, last year's gold star was the raindance around him by Wind Raven, thought Pache was going to die laughing