McDermott needs to lead

gjv001

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Just as correct, doctors should not let the patients run the asylum, coaches should not let the sports media and knucklehead Monday morning football expert wannabes set the lineup. Peterman should have been the starting QB against the Colts and Patriots. McDermott is a fine coach and learning to become a very good head coach. However, in my opinion, he has to areas in which to improve; be more transparent and honest during interviews, and do not allow anyone outside his coaching staff and roster influence his starting lineup, gameplan, and the draft.

I am dumber for having read this.....and I am not even sure that is possible

3 hours ago, wppete said:

McDermottt is not Head Coach material. He will end up being a career DC just like Mike Petine. 

I think McD is EXACTLY head coaching material

He is being tested right now.....but will come out the other side of it better for it

2 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

I saw articles and tweets saying Josh Gordon would be benched for 1st quarter against Bill's too. Fake. Idiots just make up these fake stories for likes and clicks.

I think that a team that worked their ***** off for a win in Houston only to watch Nate " Pick 6 " Peterman flush it down the toilet probably has more power than the coach if they choose to rise against the machine!

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's like touching a hot stove over and over again but each time expecting it not to singe your hand with 3rd degree burns.  Peterman's wretched play in BAL burned McDermott yet again to give him no choice but to turn to the very raw Josh Allen and his soul crushing INT in HOU only further reinforced that conclusion that led to Anderson starting.

The problem is that the sample size was too small.. It was not that he was replacing Peterman with  one of the Veteran QBs who are backing up in this league...players who had gone through TC, Pre-season and 1/2 of regular season....Anderson was in street clothes for the last 9 months. 

The blame for that play call should have been on Daboll...He didn't play to the strength of his QB.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

The problem is that the sample size was too small.. It was not that he was replacing Peterman with  one of the Veteran QBs who are backing up in this league...players who had gone through TC, Pre-season and 1/2 of regular season....Anderson was in street clothes for the last 9 months. 

The blame for that play call should have been on Daboll...He didn't play to the strength of his QB.

What strength?  He's far too easy to game plan against given his limitations.  Did Brian Brohm, Jeff Tuel, and so many other failed Bills' QBs have too small of a sample size?

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If there is going to be any kind of redemption tour starting this week for NP, then at least he gets that opportunity at New Era, where he hasn't thrown any picks (that I can remember), so there's that. Anderson frankly has looked vacant and depressed in his starts, terrible body language every time he hits the dirt, and I have to wonder how much longer by choice he will trot out there to take punishing blows on his senior citizen self. I'm sure Ms. Anderson is working as we speak on figuring out how he can retire for good with what they have already in the bank, and will turn this into a demand, not a Giselle type end of year request, lol. 

I agree. When he threw that pick 6 I watched him to see what he would do. He ran over at a good angle and then when he had a chance, he ran away. That was the ball game an he just didn't even try.  I think he's done.

I'm not even sure he's injured. I think he quit.

5 hours ago, gjv001 said:

coaches should not let the sports media and knucklehead Monday morning football expert wannabes set the lineup. Peterman should have been the starting QB against the Colts and Patriots

.....but he should listen to you. :worthy:

Yes, without question, our main problem this season is McDermott allowing the media to influence his team-related decisions.

That, and we haven't been able to get enough momentum.

Oh, and the team just doesn't want it badly enough.

LOL.

WTF is wrong with people?

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, that's not much of an accomplishment as most HC's don't do that either.

You don't need to be privy to those interactions, but if a coach is brining out the best in his staff and players, wouldn't it be more obvious on the field?

Weo, I agree with your first comment.  Most coaches aren't idiotic enough the let the fans choose their starting lineup.  That was my point actually.  McD isn't an idiot either.  So I disagree with the OP.   McD didn't let the fans or media decide to start Josh.  It was his decision.

On the second point,  you're also right.  McD's leadership is reflected in the way the team plays.  He can't change their DNA so he can't change their speed, agility, accuracy, etc.  But he should have a positive impact on their effort, preparation and execution.  And I don't think effort, preparation and execution are our biggest concerns.  I think talent is.  So it's a Beane thing, not a McD thing.  We have the lowest paid roster in the NFL and getting the results you'd expect with that payroll.  

Just speculating, I think McD really wanted a veteran QB to mentor Josh this year, letting Josh learn from the bench.  But because of cost restraints, the best vet they could come up with was AJ.  And when AJ 'wasn't who they thought he was' (Beane's words) and was traded away, McD was left in a bad position.  After NP's good preseason showing, McD probably thought Nathan could serve as a borderline serviceable starter until Josh was ready.  As it turned out, he was wrong.  

Peterman was so incredibly bad in the first half of the Ravens game that the coaches lost whatever faith they had in him and so did his fellow players.  NP's own confidence was probably crushed as well.  So McD decided to give Josh some real time game experience.  After all, McD was in a bad place with no truly good options.  Who do you send out in the second half?   The guy who's shell-shocked and who nobody ever wants to see under center again?  Or the eager, but not-ready-for-prime-time, rookie?  

In other words, I don't believe McD is failing to lead.  I think he's doing his best in a bad situation.  It's easy for a coach to look bad - and hard to look good - when the players suck.  

6 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Just as correct, doctors should not let the patients run the asylum, coaches should not let the sports media and knucklehead Monday morning football expert wannabes set the lineup. Peterman should have been the starting QB against the Colts and Patriots. McDermott is a fine coach and learning to become a very good head coach. However, in my opinion, he has to areas in which to improve; be more transparent and honest during interviews, and do not allow anyone outside his coaching staff and roster influence his starting lineup, gameplan, and the draft.

What part of McDermott realized that he'd lose the locker room if he started Peterman don't you understand???   This was widely reported after the Baltimore debacle. It's why McDermott started Allen.   Peterman's pick six in the Houston game simply cemented that Peterman wasn't going to start for the Bills again except under duress.  Well, duress, in the form of Allen's elbow and Anderson's concussion, makes Peterman the Bills starter. 

This game may be a reprise of Peterman's disaster against the Chargers last season in which it appeared that several Bills players just went through the motions.  If the defense doesn't come to play on Sunday, the Bears are going to put up 45 or 50 points on them because there are probably more players who are convinced that Peterman is a pick six waiting to happen whenever he drops back to pass.

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Weo, I agree with your first comment.  Most coaches aren't idiotic enough the let the fans choose their starting lineup.  That was my point actually.  McD isn't an idiot either.  So I disagree with the OP.   McD didn't let the fans or media decide to start Josh.  It was his decision.

On the second point,  you're also right.  McD's leadership is reflected in the way the team plays.  He can't change their DNA so he can't change their speed, agility, accuracy, etc.  But he should have a positive impact on their effort, preparation and execution.  And I don't think effort, preparation and execution are our biggest concerns.  I think talent is.  So it's a Beane thing, not a McD thing.  We have the lowest paid roster in the NFL and getting the results you'd expect with that payroll.  

Just speculating, I think McD really wanted a veteran QB to mentor Josh this year, letting Josh learn from the bench.  But because of cost restraints, the best vet they could come up with was AJ.  And when AJ 'wasn't who they thought he was' (Beane's words) and was traded away, McD was left in a bad position.  After NP's good preseason showing, McD probably thought Nathan could serve as a borderline serviceable starter until Josh was ready.  As it turned out, he was wrong.  

Peterman was so incredibly bad in the first half of the Ravens game that the coaches lost whatever faith they had in him and so did his fellow players.  NP's own confidence was probably crushed as well.  So McD decided to give Josh some real time game experience.  After all, McD was in a bad place with no truly good options.  Who do you send out in the second half?   The guy who's shell-shocked and who nobody ever wants to see under center again?  Or the eager, but not-ready-for-prime-time, rookie?  

In other words, I don't believe McD is failing to lead.  I think he's doing his best in a bad situation.  It's easy for a coach to look bad - and hard to look good - when the players suck.  

I agree that McDermott is doing the best in a bad situation, but the reality is that McDermott has no one to blame for that situation except for himself.  McDermott controls player personnel on the Bills; Beane is the guy who sends the guys McDermott doesn't want packing and brings in the guys that McDermott wants ... or the available guys whom the Bills can afford (because they dug themselves into dead cap hell by trading away Dareus and Glenn -- that's about $23 million in dead cap) that McDermott can tolerate.   The Bills lack of talent is totally on McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nonsense he should manage the team by TBD polls.  All in favor??!? ? 

Boy would shut people fast!

44 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What part of McDermott realized that he'd lose the locker room if he started Peterman don't you understand???   This was widely reported after the Baltimore debacle. It's why McDermott started Allen.   Peterman's pick six in the Houston game simply cemented that Peterman wasn't going to start for the Bills again except under duress.  Well, duress, in the form of Allen's elbow and Anderson's concussion, makes Peterman the Bills starter. 

This game may be a reprise of Peterman's disaster against the Chargers last season in which it appeared that several Bills players just went through the motions.  If the defense doesn't come to play on Sunday, the Bears are going to put up 45 or 50 points on them because there are probably more players who are convinced that Peterman is a pick six waiting to happen whenever he drops back to pass.

I agree that McDermott is doing the best in a bad situation, but the reality is that McDermott has no one to blame for that situation except for himself.  McDermott controls player personnel on the Bills; Beane is the guy who sends the guys McDermott doesn't want packing and brings in the guys that McDermott wants ... or the available guys whom the Bills can afford (because they dug themselves into dead cap hell by trading away Dareus and Glenn -- that's about $23 million in dead cap) that McDermott can tolerate.   The Bills lack of talent is totally on McDermott.

Do you understand that an organizational rebuild is taking place?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Do you understand that an organizational rebuild is taking place?

Yadda, yadda, yadda.   What excuse will you use next year at this time when the Bills are likely to have about the same record and an only marginally improved talent situation???

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yadda, yadda, yadda.   What excuse will you use next year at this time when the Bills are likely to have about the same record and an only marginally improved talent situation???

I look forward to discussing that with some of you actually.......what excuse are YOU going use for all the whining you did this year?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

You have convinced me you are a rational, experienced, reasonably intelligent Bills fan! You be in a front office somewhere! 

8 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Agreed. Peterman should have been QB against Colts and Patriots. Anderson wasn't in shape and didn't know the playbook.

What did McDermott get by playing Anderson? An injured quarterback who has 6 turnovers and no touchdowns against two of the worst defenses in the NFL. They were outscored 62-11. 

And guess what, Peterman is starting again. 

...not knowing the "power hierarchy" with McBeane & McDermott, but assuming the GM is in charge, this mess lands squarely i McBeane's lap IMO.....sure it may be true that McCarron wanted to start.....and McDermott saw it both ways with a rook QB....with Andy & the Eagles where Donovan sat for a year versus Carolina where Cam started from day one...so if the plan was for Josh to sit, how the hell do they determine from practice and pre-season facing rubber bullets, that Peterman could make the quantum leap from a 5th to a bonafide NFL starter?....didn't McCarron come from the same "sittin' and watchin' background" as Tuh-rod did?........sure he came back post injury with ring rust, but did rebound in the 4th quarter.......so we dump him for a "coveted" 5th, Peterman melts with live ammo and we end up bringing Anderson out of moth balls, 7 years older than McCarron AND twice the ring rust...makes perfect sense to me............

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

The scenario where to top 10 pick QB sits behind a veteran can ONLY work if that vet is already a legit, established starter on the roster.  AJM was a preposterous choice therefore.  He was a scrub from another team's bench.  

As SoTier said, and many others have pointed out,  McD created this situation he's in.  He's really clueless as far as building an offense at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Agreed. Peterman should have been QB against Colts and Patriots. Anderson wasn't in shape and didn't know the playbook.

What did McDermott get by playing Anderson? An injured quarterback who has 6 turnovers and no touchdowns against two of the worst defenses in the NFL. They were outscored 62-11. 

And guess what, Peterman is starting again. 

Anderson, not praising him, played better than Peterman in those 2 games than Peterman ever played in his career.

I have some more bad news, he also played better than Allen played this year.

Y'all smoking them funny cigarettes?

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I look forward to discussing that with some of you actually.......what excuse are YOU going use for all the whining you did this year?

Odds are, you'll be wrong given this franchise's history. I can't speak for him, I do my fair share of criticizing, we'll probably both be fine with saying I was wrong.

I think that will be more of an issue for you. I think you probably never notice it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Anderson, not praising him, played better than Peterman in those 2 games than Peterman ever played in his career.

I have some more bad news, he also played better than Allen played this year.

Y'all smoking them funny cigarettes?

Odds are, you'll be wrong given this franchise's history. I can't speak for him, I do my fair share of criticizing, we'll probably both be fine with saying I was wrong.

I think that will be more of an issue for you. I think you probably never notice it.

You think I have an issue with saying when I am wrong?