Check your bank accounts, fellas. Some dyngus got my card number.

Roundybout

The other day, someone tried to use my debit card to buy 67 dollars of "Smart Mobile" phone credit. I wasn't charged, and my bank cancelled my card and sent a new one. Before I could get it, though, whomever got my number tried 14 more times to buy stuff. Rather than jewelry or real estate, they attempted to purchase:

- a nice new phone

-Lunch at Dominos

-200 dollars' worth of e-cig stuff

-two apps on the app store

-Atlanta Hawks tickets

I wasn't charged for any of this, I just was amused at the choice of stuff they tried to buy. Anyways, check your bank statements, guys. This seems to be going around. 

9 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The other day, someone tried to use my debit card to buy 67 dollars of "Smart Mobile" phone credit. I wasn't charged, and my bank cancelled my card and sent a new one. Before I could get it, though, whomever got my number tried 14 more times to buy stuff. Rather than jewelry or real estate, they attempted to purchase:

- a nice new phone

-Lunch at Dominos

-Atlanta Hawks tickets

I wasn't charged for any of this, I just was amused at the choice of stuff they tried to buy. Anyways, check your bank statements, guys. This seems to be going around. 

90% chance it was a Millennial.

Should have let the ding bat buy the tix.  Hopefully they kept tix for self and show.

Go full BoystMode when they show @ seat.  Make sure You can get 16 foot 2x6 through security first.  Oh, check TicketMaster and get seats right next to them.  Hopefully Club Level if they have any class @ all!!!

34 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

- a nice new phone

-Lunch at Dominos

-Atlanta Hawks tickets

You don’t like my shopping list?  

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

- a nice new phone

-Lunch at Dominos

-Atlanta Hawks tickets

I don't wake up until noon. That was breakfast.

My mom had her credit card number stolen a few months ago.  The person bought a value meal at McDonalds in the Bronx before my mom realized and had her card deactivated.  Apparently, these thieves have “computers” that can read your credit/debit card numbers just by walking by you?  I never knew this...

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My mom had her credit card number stolen a few months ago.  The person bought a value meal at McDonalds in the Bronx before my mom realized and had her card deactivated.  Apparently, these thieves have “computers” that can read your credit/debit card numbers just by walking by you?  I never knew this...

Yeah it’s a very real thing. Scary as hell. There are ways to protect yourself but I’m not totally up to date on the latest protections for it. 

Our Chase Visa got shut down at least once a year. Usually around the Holidays. Pretty inconvenient that time of year.  VERY rarely happens now with AMex, and we got a call recently about an attempted use at a gas station/convenience store near us minutes after the attempt. That COULD have been me, but it wasn’t. Charge refused, but (while I have a banking background) I have ZERO idea how they caught that. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Our Chase Visa got shut down at least once a year. Usually around the Holidays. Pretty inconvenient that time of year.  VERY rarely happens now with AMex, and we got a call recently about an attempted use at a gas station/convenience store near us minutes after the attempt. That COULD have been me, but it wasn’t. Charge refused, but (while I have a banking background) I have ZERO idea how they caught that. 

Gotta put in billing zip code.

Or... I think Amex will ping account for $75+ on some pay @ pump to see if enough is available.  Most ping only a buck.  So what happens if You have an Amex limit and it maxed out, it won't go through.  Happened to Me.  Had a big purchase almost maxed card out.  Wouldn't take @ pay at pump.  Go inside and prepay an amount.

I am just a poor Gatekeeper.  I get these real life scenarios.  ?

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gotta put in billing zip code.

Or... I think Amex will ping account for $75+ on some pay @ pump to see if enough is available.  Most ping only a buck.  So what happens if You have an Amex limit and it maxed out, it won't go through.  Happened to Me.  Had a big purchase almost maxed card out.  Wouldn't take @ pay at pump.  Go inside and prepay an amount.

I am just a poor Gatekeeper.  I get these real life scenarios.  ?

I was under the assumption that they tried to pay indoors, but it could have been the zip at the pump. It was for a small amount. That’s my experience from Visa....they try a smallish trial amount, then go for it. This was a gas station in my neighborhood, not the time someone tried to buy auto parts in New Zealand! WTF? 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was under the assumption that they tried to pay indoors, but it could have been the zip at the pump. It was for a small amount. That’s my experience from Visa....they try a smallish trial amount, then go for it. This was a gas station in my neighborhood, not the time someone tried to buy auto parts in New Zealand! WTF? 

Yeah... Strange. I know I got pinged for $75 bucks as a test at pay at pump. AMOCO, Merrillville, Indiana.

A perfect trial amount would be a $1 ping at pump... Providing they guess or figure out zipcode (easy, find where You live... They were in town.)

Maybe You/Wife had gas stationn purchases deactivated. ?  You can shut off pay @ pump or both I (at cashier) believe?  Under "card controls" online.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Strange. I know I got pinged for $75 bucks as a test at pay at pump. AMOCO, Merrillville, Indiana.

A perfect trial amount would be a $1 ping at pump... Providing they guess or figure out zipcode (easy, find where You live... They were in town.)

Maybe You/Wife had gas stationn purchased deactivated. ?  You can shut off pay @ pump or both I (at cashier) believe?  Under "card controls" online.

No way I shut off pay at pump, it’s all I use. I don’t need the lines. It’s credit, not debit, so the rules favor ME. The bank gets stuck if it goes bad. Debit? Different story. YOU get screwed. It’s one reason I only use debit card at an ATM except under extraordinary circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

Had my debit card numbers stolen a few years back. They made a purchase at rite aid for $160. My bank called me for suspicious activity and canceled the card and refunded me. What's crazy to me is that I hadent used the card in like a week. I couldn't figure out how they stole the numbers, but Ya this kinda thing happens constantly. It's very annoying when it happens to you 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Had my debit card numbers stolen a few years back. They made a purchase at rite aid for $160. My bank called me for suspicious activity and canceled the card and refunded me. What's crazy to me is that I hadent used the card in like a week. I couldn't figure out how they stole the numbers, but Ya this kinda thing happens constantly. It's very annoying when it happens to you 

Someone steals the number and eventually sells it for small price. They steal hundreds, so it adds up.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Someone steals the number and eventually sells it for small price. They steal hundreds, so it adds up.

I think that my number got sold off some sketchy site because I have no idea how someone in Atlanta got it. 

I had mine years ago stolen @ Splash Lagoon in Erie, Pa.  Wanted to buy something.  Think a towel... The cashier said system was down. I was short on cash and didn't want ATM fee.  So, they did the Debit Card by hand (clicker) and transmitted later.  Total red flag.

Next thing I know, checking balance and somebody is trying to debit sports memorabilia out of Pittsburgh.  It hung as pending then dropped off.  Called bank, called the store.  Never went through.  Like $500 of something.

I get immediate text alerts when Debit Card is hit.  Back then, it was tele-banking.

It was probably @/dev/null running an early hack ring from His parents basement.  Pretty easy to stop, the pending hangs for days. He forgot It was the weekend and what banker hours were.  Those early tech guys... ? ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

No way I shut off pay at pump, it’s all I use. I don’t need the lines. It’s credit, not debit, so the rules favor ME. The bank gets stuck if it goes bad. Debit? Different story. YOU get screwed. It’s one reason I only use debit card at an ATM except under extraordinary circumstances. 

Not true with my bank....zero liability.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was probably @/dev/null running an early hack ring from His parents basement.  Pretty easy to stop, the pending hangs for days. He forgot It was the weekend and what banker hours were.  Those early tech guys... ? ?

Considering the timestamp above, I have to ask.  Do I haunt your dreams or something?

5 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

Not true with my bank....zero liability.

Good for you! Maybe it’s changed (or varies by bank), but they used to only cover $50 of the loss, and I learned the hard way the rest is on you. I hope not to get further educated on this.....