Bills sign Matt Barkley and Colton Schmidt; Taiwan Jones and Bojorquez to IR

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Anderson can’t go, I’d rather see Barkley start on 4 days of playbook then Peterman 

That's what I said... he can only know 10 plays & its better then a Peterman knowing the whole playbook 

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I think being 2-6 was maybe expected. But setting records for offensive futility maybe not. This kind of badness damages the fan base and future revenue. It is worse than losing. Was the 3-13 squad in 2001 this bad? It feels like they were easier to watch.

If I remember correctly, 2001 was self inflicting too... but not as bad. 

Gregg Williams decided to cut Flutie smh... named Rob Johnson the starter... & he sucked so bad Alex Van Pelt had to come in & make us below average. 

This was also the year...I was screaming at the tv saying "Tom Brady sucks...how are we letting him do this to us?!?!" 

17 years later... I still can't believe he turned out this good smh 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The worst 1-2 punch in the history of the NFL. Even before the forward pass was introduced. 

C'mon, how can you forget the illustrious trio of EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel?  Or Dufek/Kofler?  Ferragamo/Hutchinson?

21 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

It would appear that like Peterman he throws a VERY catchable ball.  Someone else said it and I think it's hard to argue, why wouldn't you sign Kaepernick?  He's 100 times better than anyone we are currently trotting out there.  Probably could actually offer a lot more knowledge than Barkley in terms of helping Allen.  Doesn't hurt that he's mobile either.

Two reasons:

1) Fan reaction.  There are a lot of haters out there.

2) They have 6 losses already (7 if you assume the NE game in NE is a loss).  Even if they ran the table, which is unlikely to say the least, the would most likely still not make the playoffs.  The offence blows chunks no matter who the QB is.  So why bring in anyone who might be able to eeek out a win or two and hurt the draft.  Just keep raiding the couches and golf courses like they have been as needed for the remainder of this season and take a shot and not being historically bad next season.

19 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Oh they expected it...go back & hear how they were talking during the preseason. 

This is why criticism is so high right now, they had to know...& if they didn't know Peterman would have blown up in their face, then they shouldn't be here. It's their job to be prepared & they were not.

I honestly don't think they knew Peterman would blow up in their face.  From tidbits McDermott and Beane have dropped, apparently he's a Whiteboard Wizard who excels in the film and QB room, and did great against vanilla Ds pre-season.  Apparently McCarron struggled mightily to learn Daboll's offense. 

They simply couldn't assess that maybe Peterman's limited real-game action shows when it's for-real, he isn't.  and I agree, that's worrisome.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I honestly don't think they knew Peterman would blow up in their face.  From tidbits McDermott and Beane have dropped, apparently he's a Whiteboard Wizard who excels in the film and QB room, and did great against vanilla Ds pre-season.  Apparently McCarron struggled mightily to learn Daboll's offense. 

They simply couldn't assess that maybe Peterman's limited real-game action shows when it's for-real, he isn't.  and I agree, that's worrisome.

He had so little of that going into this year, I’m sure it was a factor what he looked like in LA but hard to build a complete case around that when everything else they had looked positive - practice, preseason, film room, etc. The blizzard he actually threw a TD. Looked fine in garbage time vs saints. So that’s what they had in “real time”. I think they did check the box on “no” after the ravens game... and the only reason he has had to play again was not due to wanting to see more of him, but out of necessity. That’s poor QB preparation which is a concern, but I don’t think they actually still believe in him or anything. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He had so little of that going into this year, I’m sure it was a factor what he looked like in LA but hard to build a complete case around that when everything else they had looked positive - practice, preseason, film room, etc. The blizzard he actually threw a TD. Looked fine in garbage time vs saints. So that’s what they had in “real time”. I think they did check the box on “no” after the ravens game... and the only reason he has had to play again was not due to wanting to see more of him, but out of necessity. That’s poor QB preparation which is a concern, but I don’t think they actually still believe in him or anything. 

The problem with that and what they did was, even in the other games since the Chargers debacle, there was NOTHING in what he did do that alleviated the issues he had in the Charger game.

He didn't show any more up to snuff arm strength despite some reports that he had a little more zip (we could see it in the games), he didn't show better ability to throw the ball downfield, or avoid a heavy rush, or throw accurately on slant patterns (there were a few bad ones and a few good ones, which is not an improvement). So even though he was completing these passes in practice and preseason he wasn't showing anything we didn't already know about him.

Granted, some of his shortcomings could not be shown in preseason and practice because it is not full speed with real bullets, BUT, that also doesn't mean you should assume he can now do something that he previously could not do. They should have assumed he COULDN'T since he wasn't any better at the other things. That was the problem.

I had posted in the offseason and OTAs and training camp that my biggest fear of all was that the coaches would be hoodwinked by Peterman in training camp and preseason because that is when he COULD shine, but he cannot in real meaningful games.  

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The problem with that and what they did was, even in the other games since the Chargers debacle, there was NOTHING in what he did do that alleviated the issues he had in the Charger game.

He didn't show any more up to snuff arm strength despite some reports that he had a little more zip (we could see it in the games), he didn't show better ability to throw the ball downfield, or avoid a heavy rush, or throw accurately on slant patterns (there were a few bad ones and a few good ones, which is not an improvement). So even though he was completing these passes in practice and preseason he wasn't showing anything we didn't already know about him.

Granted, some of his shortcomings could not be shown in preseason and practice because it is not full speed with real bullets, BUT, that also doesn't mean you should assume he can now do something that he previously could not do. They should have assumed he COULDN'T since he wasn't any better at the other things. That was the problem.

I had posted in the offseason and OTAs and training camp that my biggest fear of all was that the coaches would be hoodwinked by Peterman in training camp and preseason because that is when he COULD shine, but he cannot in real meaningful games.  

The only other one they had since the chargers game, prior to this season,  was the half he played during the blizzard...and actually looked “ok” but hard to take anything from it.  that’s why I said they only had that one “real” game to add to everything else they used to evaluate a rookie QB. I’m not at practice so I don’t know all of what is taking place in the evaluation. But I certainly think they have evaluated him by now. And they were unprepared at the qb position, that’s their doing,  but I’m sure they would much prefer to not have to play him at this point. I don’t agree with those who think they actually want to keep playing him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The only other one they had since the chargers game, prior to this season,  was the half he played during the blizzard...and actually looked “ok” but hard to take anything from it.  that’s why I said they only had that one “real” game to add to everything else they used to evaluate a rookie QB. I’m not at practice so I don’t know all of what is taking place in the evaluation. But I certainly think they have evaluated him by now. And they were unprepared at the qb position, that’s their doing,  but I’m sure they would much prefer to not have to play him at this point. I don’t agree with those who think they actually want to keep playing him.

They had the playoff game against Jax when he couldn't throw the out pattern and it got intercepted. I don't count the snowbowl because no one could play a normal game on either team and especially the speed of the game was slowed to a crawl. He couldn't have shown sufficient arm strength in practice because he doesn't possess it. It's impossible, not something because we weren't there we cannot know either way.

And again, IMO the problem is assuming he suddenly gained the abilities he didn't show before when no matter how many short, quick decision, accurate throws he made in practice and preseason that he made, he wasn't showing the 4-5 things that he cannot do well enough.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They had the playoff game against Jax when he couldn't throw the out pattern and it got intercepted. I don't count the snowbowl because no one could play a normal game on either team and especially the speed of the game was slowed to a crawl. He couldn't have shown sufficient arm strength in practice because he doesn't possess it. It's impossible, not something because we weren't there we cannot know either way.

And again, IMO the problem is assuming he suddenly gained the abilities he didn't show before when no matter how many short, quick decision, accurate throws he made in practice and preseason that he made, he wasn't showing the 4-5 things that he cannot do well enough.

The Bills put in a lot of time and effort and resources placing themselves in a position to draft a qb in the first round. As demonstrated by their extraordinary effort to draft a qb in the first round they certainly didn't consider Peterman a reasonable option as a starter. That doesn't mean that they don't consider him as an option as a backup. The limitations that you in detail describe about Peterman are the same limitations that most designated backup qbs have. As you stated in a prior post Colt McCoy is limited. My response then as it is now is the reason why he is a backup, and has been for nearly a decade. That is the at best role that this regimes envisions for Peterman. 

Where I disagree with you and others who have a similar view toward Peterman is your depiction that this staff over-estimated his abilities and hoodwinked themselves. That is not the case. They know what they have in the third string qb i.e the same abilities that most third string and most backups have. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/31/2018 at 11:06 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Couple weeks ago on a return I think. He had been playing with it, wonder if was getting worse

Probably just an excuse to protect him on IR.  The Bills must be intent on trying to keep him longer term or at least have him compete for the job in next year’s camp.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Bills put in a lot of time and effort and resources placing themselves in a position to draft a qb in the first round. As demonstrated by their extraordinary effort to draft a qb in the first round they certainly didn't consider Peterman a reasonable option as a starter. That doesn't mean that they don't consider him as an option as a backup. The limitations that you in detail describe about Peterman are the same limitations that most designated backup qbs have. As you stated in a prior post Colt McCoy is limited. My response then as it is now is the reason why he is a backup, and has been for nearly a decade. That is the at best role that this regimes envisions for Peterman. 

Where I disagree with you and others who have a similar view toward Peterman is your depiction that this staff over-estimated his abilities and hoodwinked themselves. That is not the case. They know what they have in the third string qb i.e the same abilities that most third string and most backups have. 

No. You're wrong. He cannot throw the ball hard enough to play backup QB in this league. That has been proven over and over and over. That is what me and any others have been saying since he was drafted. He cannot do it.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Probably just an excuse to protect him on IR.  The Bills must be intent on trying to keep him longer term or at least have him compete for the job in next year’s camp.

Yep

Bojorquez, if you recall, suffered a right shoulder injury in the failed field goal fake in the win over the Titans. I had suspected that he suffered a SLAP lesionwhich is short for superior labral tear from anterior to posterior. Basically, he tore his labrum which explains the shoulder brace that he had to wear the next several weeks. Expect him to get surgery to correct the tear and miss the rest of the season. This may have also been a way to stash a player they like on the roster for next season without releasing him

https://bangedupbills.com/2018/10/31/week-8-bills-injury-review-patriots-mnf/

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Except that the Chargers game showed on film, everything that was written about Peterman in pre-draft scouting reports like on NFL.com.

I don't deny that they didn't have much to go on, but what they did have made the choice to go into the season with him penciled in as the starter, exceedingly strange.

And when I say "exceedingly strange" I mean "mind bogglingly bad offensive talent evaluation by alleged NFL professionals"

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Bills put in a lot of time and effort and resources placing themselves in a position to draft a qb in the first round. As demonstrated by their extraordinary effort to draft a qb in the first round they certainly didn't consider Peterman a reasonable option as a starter.

So why then, in your view, did the Bills put themselves in the position of going into the season with Peterman as their starting QB?  If they "certainly didn't consider Peterman a reasonable option as a starter", did they deliberately start the season with only unreasonable options at the most important position in the game?

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So why then, in your view, did the Bills put themselves in the position of going into the season with Peterman as their starting QB?  If they "certainly didn't consider Peterman a reasonable option as a starter", did they deliberately start the season with only unreasonable options at the most important position in the game?

There is a good reason why Peterman started the season as the starter: The organization blundered. The mistake was in thinking that McCarron was a viable temporary option. He got hurt and in training camp and preseason he was outplayed by Peterman. On top of that he made it clear early on that he didn't come here to be a backup and mentor the rookie. So he was dealt. The irony is if he would have been more patient he would be playing now. I'm not going to jump on this regime too much because I don't know what other qbs were available. Those that were available didn't necessarily want to come here. So when the market is barren then you do the best you can with what you got and can get. 

I'm not letting this regime off the hook for allowing themselves to be placed in such a precarious position not only with the qb position but also on the OL and receiving unit. But the backdrop for bringing in and playing so many mediocre players was the players they wanted were for the short term. Especially on the OL and qb positions they were bringing in  players that they were not going to commit to for a longer period of time. So it is understandable that their options were limited in bringing in players. 

As I have said on numerous occasions I consider the organization being involved in nearly a full scale rebuild. So I am exhibiting more forbearance than most. But when this season is finished and they enter the offseason with plenty of cap space and a full complement of draft picks I expect this regime in a major way add talent to bolster this thin roster. Many people don't agree with the rebuilding approach that McBeane took on. Tough! That's the reality whether people like it or not. Now we are at a point where they have accomplished the first phase of cutting players and contracts which should lead to the next phase of adding players and contracts to bolster this roster so that it can more seriously compete. 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No. You're wrong. He cannot throw the ball hard enough to play backup QB in this league. That has been proven over and over and over. That is what me and any others have been saying since he was drafted. He cannot do it.

Whether you like it or not he is our backup in this league. While you luxuriate in booing him I will be rooting for him in the Chicago game. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear your point & I agree with most of it... but what you said is part of my point. They get paid to know this stuff... & again...if they didn't know that's a huge problem. Then, McDermott preaches "Forward Thinking" which is complete crap honestly, cause if your forward thinking, then you make sure you have someone behind Peterman just in case, not your rookie QB, that needs the most development out of his class...

Which leads me to Allen... who you know for a fact Hap, I didn't want the kid drafted by us, but If that's the route they planned on going... & your "forward thinking" then you should of paid up for McCown or kept Tyrod or had secured a solid Veteran.  

To draft Allen & not have anything around him...knowing he needs work (again...if they didn't think Allen needed the most help, then they shouldn't be there, they get paid to know this stuff) is literally irresponsible on McBeane part. Then their ignorance showed up when they traded AJ... now there were rumors he didn't want to be a mentor...fine... but they should of signed someone quickly...not wait until Peterman failed, then Allen Failed/got hurt,

If they did their homework, like most people that doesn't get paid for watching film, then they should have seen all of this coming. 

Peterman was not a starter, evident from last year, Allen wasn't ready either, & McBeane went on their marry way. Trusting a misguided process instead of simple logic.

That's my thing Hap

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

11 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I hear your point & I agree with most of it... but what you said is part of my point. They get paid to know this stuff... & again...if they didn't know that's a huge problem. Then, McDermott preaches "Forward Thinking" which is complete crap honestly, cause if your forward thinking, then you make sure you have someone behind Peterman just in case, not your rookie QB, that needs the most development out of his class...

Which leads me to Allen... who you know for a fact Hap, I didn't want the kid drafted by us, but If that's the route they planned on going... & your "forward thinking" then you should of paid up for McCown or kept Tyrod or had secured a solid Veteran.  

To draft Allen & not have anything around him...knowing he needs work (again...if they didn't think Allen needed the most help, then they shouldn't be there, they get paid to know this stuff) is literally irresponsible on McBeane part. Then their ignorance showed up when they traded AJ... now there were rumors he didn't want to be a mentor...fine... but they should of signed someone quickly...not wait until Peterman failed, then Allen Failed/got hurt,

If they did their homework, like most people that doesn't get paid for watching film, then they should have seen all of this coming. 

Peterman was not a starter, evident from last year, Allen wasn't ready either, & McBeane went on their marry way. Trusting a misguided process instead of simple logic.

That's my thing Hap

I can’t disagree with most of this.  

When the Bills traded TT, I thought they were going to go “all in” for a big FA - maybe not Cousins, but Keenum perhaps.  I thought if they wanted to draft a rookie, especially one who might need more development, it made sense to keep TT to start for a year.  Given that this must be pretty close to Daboll’s Last Dance as an NFL coordinator, I never thought he’d sign on for a crap QB situation.

So FA passed us by with the last-man-standing sign of McCarron, I thought they were going to go “all in” for the most NFL ready of the rookies.  When instead they traded up for Allen I was like “WTF, man?”  I’m not as staunch against him as some, but clearly he is a major project, with all the normal rookie development needs plus a need for Remedial Footwork Class to be able to “hit the bunnies”, the short dump-offs every successful NFL QB has to be able to nail at a high percentage.  

At that point I figured we were negotiations for an “old man”, Moore or Anderson, to come in and steer the ship, but no, not until the ship was already heading for the breakers.

The Bills’ QB strategy has not made sense to me since the draft.