I was a good citizen

boyst

2 hours ago, Augie said:

What time does Home Depot close? I want to go get some free stuff!!!  

Just make it to lot and you are home free!  As long as Charles Bronson Boyst isn't on watch!

If that fails, plead that you are a model citizen and they profiled you for being a banker.  Then scream: "Witch hunt!"

22 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

How in the world did you shatter the windshield with your elbow?

Those things are strong as hell.

Maybe the glass was already cracked. 

20 hours ago, Augie said:

What time does Home Depot close? I want to go get some free stuff!!!  

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just make it to lot and you are home free!  As long as Charles Bronson Boyst isn't on watch!

If that fails, plead that you are a model citizen and they profiled you for being a banker.  Then scream: "Witch hunt!"

Home Depot they will chase you out. Then the customers will chase you and detain you. But the cops when they arrive, will tell you that you should not have gotten involved and t let the perps go. 

9 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Maybe the glass was already cracked. 

Home Depot they will chase you out. Then the customers will chase you and detain you. But the cops when they arrive, will tell you that you should not have gotten involved and t let the perps go. 

Or...maybe Gronk has come out with a new brand of lethal elbow gear? 

A marketing genius, I tell you! 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Wow! /smh...

Welcome to dysfunction in America.  Great how we are "raising society"... Like all the choir boys  & angelic girls that hit the teen years and lose all parental supervision (like there was any there to begin with... Kids, mothers, fathers scattered all over the place because people can't keep it in their pants).

Wonderful:  It takes a Village!  Yeah, but let's deconstruct family, religion, etc... first... Then come running to the gov't when life goes off it's rails because people's own doing only to find a disinterested gov't that doesnt know if it's coming or going!

Sorry.

/end_rant_LoL

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

So, it's difficult to have made a citizens arrest. If I detained him and he attempted to flee I restrained him I could have been charged with kidnapping.  I learned that. Basically, there have been cases where the perp just asked the civilian to leave and they were not permitted that the issue was thrown out because of the breaking of the law arresting him as a private citizen. However, if you carry a firearm you can, at gun point, in the process of committing a crime including theft, hold them until police arrive.

23 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

How in the world did you shatter the windshield with your elbow?

Those things are strong as hell.

I missed this. I'm kind of a big dude (6'2 ⅜", 240) and know how to deliver power due to athletic feats and such. I knew it hit it just right with the end of my elbow then drive through where my ulner nerve would not be exposed.  

On 10/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, Boyst62 said:

So I was at Lowe's today and had got a 2 by 6 by 16 to fix a rafter on my shed and it broke as I got it to my truck. Upon doing so I walked back in with it to say "hey it broke"  and noticed a man walking out with the shopping cart full of tools with all the turtles going off.  Turtles are those little round things that look like a turtle shell that make a noise when left on and you leave the building. I was about 5 feet from the door and I say "hey, that guy just stole a bunch of tools", and they said "yes, but we can't chase him or go after him.". I was happy to know that I could and offered to go take a picture of his license plate which I did. 

So at that point I have a picture of his vehicle and him after I called him an ***** thief and he looked up at me in a full nice view. Then I put my camera on as he backed out to record both him and his friend back out and then I stood in front of his vehicle to make sure that there was a chance to get a nice view of him in there and he nudged me with the vehicle. well upon doing so don't you know those things are really scary when going a half mile an hour and I'm a big athletic guy who just doesn't have great balance. so of course I slipped and dropped my elbow all the way through his windshield and shattered it in pieces, because I was falling down.  

Unfortunately, there's nothing I could really do because what's the point of getting the police involved for a guy who doesn't have anything worth and they probably will never look for the guy to begin with; but, of course there were Witnesses including the two guys next to me loading their truck up not sure what was going on. They both had concealed permits and could have lawfully detained the guy had they known, which would have been fun but turn into a bigger mess. 

Either way, it felt good to do my civil Duty. 

Why do you think the police wouldn't have acted? Home Depot needed to call the police and file a complaint. They certainly have a tape of the individual in the premises pocketing the items and then walking out. The alarms sounded and the staff witnessed the individual/s walking out when the alarms went off for non-payment of items. You took a picture of the vehicle and the individuals and I assume the license plate. This is a ready made case for the police after the complaint was made. They will run the tag numbers and come up with the person who owned the vehicle. You and the other witnesses could then be asked if the person who owned the vehicle was the same person who was driving. If not then the owner of the vehicle would have to tell the police who was driving the car seen at the Home Depot. On top of that the vehicle should be easy to identify because the windshield is shattered. 

Is this a big case? No. But it certainly is a case that should be easy to solve. The police departments don't like to waste their team with nuisance cases. But this is a case that can be solved and resulting in a good stat for them. The police like good stats. In addition, I don't know how much in value these brazen thieves took but it doesn't take much to rise to a felony level. And that would be a good stat for the police. 

Edited by JohnC

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Why do you think the police wouldn't have acted? Home Depot needed to call the police and file a complaint. They certainly have a tape of the individual in the premises pocketing the items and then walking out. The alarms sounded and the staff witnessed the individual/s walking out when the alarms went off for non-payment of items. You took a picture of the vehicle and the individuals and I assume the license plate. This is a ready made case for the police after the complaint was made. They will run the tag numbers and come up with the person who owned the vehicle. You and the other witnesses could then be asked if the person who owned the vehicle was the same person who was driving. If not then the owner of the vehicle would have to tell the police who was driving the car seen at the Home Depot. On top of that the vehicle should be easy to identify because the windshield is shattered. 

Is this a big case? No. But it certainly is a case that should be easy to solve. The police departments don't like to waste their team with nuisance cases. But this is a case that can be solved and resulting in a good stat for them. The police like good stats. In addition, I don't know how much in value these brazen thieves took but it doesn't take much to rise to a felony level. And that would be a good stat for the police. 

There was a BBQ festival with 300k people in town which is normally around 60k this same day.  Police weren't interested.

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

So, it's difficult to have made a citizens arrest. If I detained him and he attempted to flee I restrained him I could have been charged with kidnapping.  I learned that. Basically, there have been cases where the perp just asked the civilian to leave and they were not permitted that the issue was thrown out because of the breaking of the law arresting him as a private citizen. However, if you carry a firearm you can, at gun point, in the process of committing a crime including theft, hold them until police arrive.

I missed this. I'm kind of a big dude (6'2 ⅜", 240) and know how to deliver power due to athletic feats and such. I knew it hit it just right with the end of my elbow then drive through where my ulner nerve would not be exposed.  

Yeah society sucks the way everyone is a victim, even the criminals.  Mix in all other kinds of effed up issues, quite a mess.  Then the thieving animals raise the cost of doing business for the rest of us.

Yet... Don't go all Barney Fife, Mayberry, NC on us.  The police unions don't want others doing their job.  This ain't Mayberry, you in the jungle now. Thieving, lying, playing the victim is all that counts. Be careful.

citizens-arrest-citizens-arrest.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

There was a BBQ festival with 300k people in town which is normally around 60k this same day.  Police weren't interested.

They didn't have to respond right away. Home Depot could have made an phone complaint with it given an official complaint #. The follow-up could have been the next day or later. The information at hand was not going to change. The complaint could have been made the next day if that would have been a better time for the authorities. What I know for sure is these type of establishments know how to file police complaints because shop lifting is something they deal with all the time. They have protocols regarding retrieving surveillance tapes and making reports. So this shouldn't have been an unusual situation for them. 

I had a case where someone stole my credit cards out of my locked locker at a public pool. The lazy ass pool manager didn't want to get involved. So I took the initiative to make the complaint. My complaint was given to an officer over the phone. The follow up was done to an assigned detective who diligently went to the stores where the card was used and reviewed their footage of those involved using the credit cards. This case turned out to be a multi-jurisdictional investigation with search warrants and house raids. It went from a lower court to a higher court as the case developed. Time went by and the case kept getting bigger. After two years of legal wrangling the thieving priiick finally plead guilty the day the trial was supposed to start. If you want to visit him you need to go to the prison he is currently residing in. 

A thief is a thief. The degenerate you dealt with probably has a record and is on some sort of  probation. If that is the case all the police need to do is notify his probation officer where his probation will be pulled and then sent to jail. 

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

They didn't have to respond right away. Home Depot could have made an phone complaint with it given an official complaint #. The follow-up could have been the next day or later. The information at hand was not going to change. The complaint could have been made the next day if that would have been a better time for the authorities. What I know for sure is these type of establishments know how to file police complaints because shop lifting is something they deal with all the time. They have protocols regarding retrieving surveillance tapes and making reports. So this shouldn't have been an unusual situation for them. 

I had a case where someone stole my credit cards out of my locked locker at a public pool. The lazy ass pool manager didn't want to get involved. So I took the initiative to make the complaint. My complaint was given to an officer over the phone. The follow up was done to an assigned detective who diligently went to the stores where the card was used and reviewed their footage of those involved using the credit cards. This case turned out to be a multi-jurisdictional investigation with search warrants and house raids. It went from a lower court to a higher court as the case developed. Time went by and the case kept getting bigger. After two years of legal wrangling the thieving priiick finally plead guilty the day the trial was supposed to start. If you want to visit him you need to go to the prison he is currently residing in. 

A thief is a thief. The degenerate you dealt with probably has a record and is on some sort of  probation. If that is the case all the police need to do is notify his probation officer where his probation will be pulled and then sent to jail. 

I get your point, but it's all nonsense. The police will do what they can but this happens at this Lowe's and most every store in the country every single day at each store. A bunch of people who work for me always have new items from boosters.  They don't get caught. The ones we know about are the ones we see like yesterday.

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah society sucks the way everyone is a victim, even the criminals.  Mix in all other kinds of effed up issues, quite a mess.  Then the thieving animals raise the cost of doing business for the rest of us.

Yet... Don't go all Barney Fife, Mayberry, NC on us.  The police unions don't want others doing their job.  This ain't Mayberry, you in the jungle now. Thieving, lying, playing the victim is all that counts. Be careful.

citizens-arrest-citizens-arrest.jpg

Funny. Girlfriend and I were watching Andy griffth this evenjng.  She was friends with James Best while living in Hickory because he had dogs she took to her practice. This came out of just a conversation about old TV shows.  Well, the next episode on was episode 3 season 1 ... James Best is the guest star. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

I get your point, but it's all nonsense. The police will do what they can but this happens at this Lowe's and most every store in the country every single day at each store. A bunch of people who work for me always have new items from boosters.  They don't get caught. The ones we know about are the ones we see like yesterday.

When a store is known to be an easy pigeon it will get repeatedly hit. When a store is known to prosecute thieves then the prospective thieves move on to easier pigeons. Target is known for its top shelf surveillance system and their willingness to pursue cases. They are also more aggressive than most stores in following up on credit card fraud. You are never going to fully stop the theft but you sure can slow it down because when you get a full time lifter you are not resolving a single case but you are onto the series of cases that they are involved in. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

JohnC is making some great points. You could learn from this. The police don't need you to make excuses for them. Hopefully, they did their jobs. I assume the Lowe's manager pursued it.

Your story sounds mostly made-up, anyway.

Edited by LeGOATski
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Very good subject.  Somebody should do a thesis on this societal subject.

BOOM! I am gonna say it. De facto judgement and by empirical observations through My 50 years of living and sometimes having to deal living, shop near and in sh ithole areas.

Yep!  My brother had a business in the inner city of Buffalo years ago.  The "Handy Andy" (think it was Handy Andy) @ Central Park Plaza was always getting boosted by the locals.  Tops Supermarket had to put security tags on their meat!  Yep, they would lift meat! Armed security guard too. YEP, the ***** ground beef had to have security tags!  Inside theft, pilferage was just as bad.  They know the #s... Home Depot/Lowe's, they can check the audits and see the difference between "shrinkage" in Da Hood vs. other places. I see it all the time where We live. That would be a sh itstorm in media if they ever released data.  You know who makes up the cost/loss?  Other customers in the decent neighborhoods.  Happens across all avenues of society, education, retail, disproportionate policing, etc...

You wonder why businesses go under, move out... Creating suburban sprawl and leaving "food deserts" and wasteland in it's wake...

LoL... Then they would walk around trying to unload the stuff, scraping up some funds... Ah, life in the ghetto, da hood.  Don't be a snitch was the refrain...

I was helping my Brother out one time working @ His place... Just to get rid of a Guy pestering, panhandling Me... Gave Him a few bucks... To go buy His bottle of T-Bird...

...Come to think of it, I still have the set of Channel Locks (knock offs).  Use them all the time, most used tool in My toolbox the last 30 years.  I think of how I acquired them off the fence everytime I use them!  LMAO!!!!??

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

JohnC is making some great points. You could learn from this. The police don't need you to make excuses for them. Hopefully, they did their jobs. I assume the Lowe's manager pursued it.

Embellishment no doubt.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Very good subject.  Somebody should do a thesis on this societal subject.

BOOM! I am gonna say it. De facto judgement and by empirical observations through My 50 years of living and sometimes having to deal living, shop near and in sh ithole areas.

Yep!  My brother had a business in the inner city of Buffalo years ago.  The "Handy Andy" (think it was Handy Andy) @ Central Park Plaza was always getting boosted by the locals.  Tops Supermarket had to put security tags on their meat!  Yep, they would lift meat! Armed security guard too. YEP, the ***** ground beef had to have security tags!  Inside theft, pilferage was just as bad.  They know the #s... Home Depot/Lowe's, they can check the audits and see the difference between "shrinkage" in Da Hood vs. other places. I see it all the time where We live. That would be a sh itstorm in media if they ever released data.  You know who makes up the cost/loss?  Other customers in the decent neighborhoods.  Happens across all avenues of society, education, retail, disproportionate policing, etc...

You wonder why businesses go under, move out... Creating suburban sprawl and leaving "food deserts" and wasteland in it's wake...

LoL... Then they would walk around trying to unload the stuff, scraping up some funds... Ah, life in the ghetto, da hood.  Don't be a snitch was the refrain...

I was helping my Brother out one time working @ His place... Just to get rid of a Guy pestering, panhandling Me... Gave Him a few bucks... To go buy His bottle of T-Bird...

...Come to think of it, I still have the set of Channel Locks (knock offs).  Use them all the time, most used tool in My toolbox the last 30 years.  I think of how I acquired them off the fence everytime I use them!  LMAO!!!!??

Embellishment no doubt.

Literally no embellishment and nothing made up about it. Alas, could care less about your the views. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, Boyst62 said:

It was a 2x6x16. It snapped in half at a weak point

what i want to know is... how in the world you chose a stick of lumber that you were going to use to replace a broken rafter with that broke before even getting it in the truck?

;)

Edited by Foxx

Just now, Foxx said:

what i want to know is... how in the world you chose a stick of lumber that you were going to use to replace a broken rafter with that broke before even getting it in the truck?

;)

Dude.  Staahhhppp. I was actually embarrassed it broke. That's why I was already a little mad walking in the store to returned in.  

Anytime I buy timber I pick it up and drop it on both ends.  It didn't break. Got to my truck and it started to sag so I pulled it down and just a tiny bit til it broke.  ???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Dude.  Staahhhppp. I was actually embarrassed it broke. That's why I was already a little mad walking in the store to returned in.  

Anytime I buy timber I pick it up and drop it on both ends.  It didn't break. Got to my truck and it started to sag so I pulled it down and just a tiny bit til it broke.  ???

Some years ago, had security cameras record 2 idiots stealing from a job site in Buffalo.   Overnight they stole a detached bucket from the front of a small loader.  Took 2 of them to rock it and struggle it into the back of their pickup.

The Buffalo police took the video, went around to local scrap yards and identified the guys who stole it and scrapped it.    The guys were arrested.   Turns out they had a long history of doing that sort of thing.

Felt good to see the police actually doing their job - actually investigating a crime and making an arrest rather than blowing it off because it was too small-time for them to spend time on.   

Best part was that the bucket was sitting right under a giant sign that said "24 hour video surveillance" - and there was a security camera right above the sign pointing right at the idiots as they stole it.     Apparently some criminals can't read and/or don't know what security cameras look like.    And the cameras were installed less than 24 hours prior to the crime.   Perfect timing.  I guess some guys just like spending time in jail - you know - for the good food and tight sex.