Hot Button Topic - Will The Bills Bench Josh Allen For Derek Anderson?

Will The Bills Bench Josh Allen For Derek Anderson?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills Bench Josh Allen for Derek Anderson

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I never knew he was noted for Wisdom.  This really does not make any sense!

I think it's more of a "someone that Allen can ask questions about the game".  Who would you rather have him be talking to, A guy that has played the position for 12 years or the QB coach who hasn't coached QB's since 1982?

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

In the history of the NFL, can you name a single franchise quarterback that was benched for poor performance before his 30th birthday?

super-bowl-xlvi.jpg

But I don't think it'll happen here; Derek Anderson is not Kurt Warner.

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

super-bowl-xlvi.jpg

But I don't think it'll happen here; Derek Anderson is not Kurt Warner.

Actually, Manning came in for Warner, who was in his 30s. Manning wasn’t benched that year.

However, there were a number of QBs with great careers benched early including Bob Griese, Ken Stabler and Roger Staubach (I think). Most recently, and topically, Drew Brees was benched for Doug Flutie his second year in SD. He ended up with a pretty good career, I think. ?

https://es.pn/2bkYpSo

Edited by BisonMan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

You mean the situation where the QB we drafted wasn't very good?

McDermott is here to win games. While unlikely, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he trots DA out there if the offense continues to play like garbage.

How can you tell if he's good if you yank him not even halfway through the season. DA is not that good, maybe 20 yrs ago. I'm putting my money on the kid and let him take his lumps and grow. Also do you really think DA will do any better with the offensive weapons at his disposal? Not likely, if McD wants to win then you get that kid some better tools to do his job correctly.

6 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Actually, Manning came in for Warner, who was in his 30s. Manning wasn’t benched that year.

However, there were a number of QBs with great careers benched early including Bob Griese, Ken Stabler and Roger Staubach (I think). Most recently, and topically, Drew Brees was benched for Doug Flutie his second year in SD. He ended up with a pretty good career, I think. ?

And as a result, Brees was finished in San Diego. Supports my point.

Only way Allen can inexplicably regain a Franchise QB status in Buffalo upon getting benched in favor of Derek Anderson is if McDermott is fired after the season while Beane stays and distances himself from McDermott and the decision. That’s it.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

And as a result, Brees was finished in San Diego. Supports my point.

Only way Allen can inexplicably regain a Franchise QB status in Buffalo upon getting benched in favor of Derek Anderson is if McDermott is fired after the season while Beane stays and distances himself from McDermott and the decision. That’s it.

Bree’s came back and started the next season and was very good but his “career ending” shoulder injury made SD release him with the unproven Rivers on the bench (worked out for both). NO took a chance on him. Smart move.

So, ignore the other examples I gave? Elway was benched his rookie year, wasn’t traded, HOF. Alex Smith as well but the new regime though Kaep was the future. Smith is still a starter in the league.

It’s not hard to find these examples as this is more common than you might think. I haven’t scoured the entire “history of the NFL”.