Derek Anderson signed; Peterman QB2 week 6; Anderson Presser

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Once I do t understand why the mentor stuff is overstated

just because the vet qb is not great on the field does not mean he cannot serve as. A excellent mentor

Because I just don't think it happens as often as people imagine. 

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

WEO being WEO.  It’s obvious to anyone that knows anything about life, that talking with someone that experienced with a matter will hell you understand it to a greater degree than you already do.  Signing Anderson will help Allen 100%.  No question.  That’s not to say that it’ll make him a great qb, but it will help him learn different nuances of the QB position that he may not have learned without an experienced QB there to advise him.

If it's your job to train trainees in "life", then yes.  But in the NFL, everytime there's a vet behind a rookie or sophomore QB, everyone goes on and on about what a mentor the vet will be.  There's no reason to assume that's what the guy will do.  Sure, he may give him a few pointers, but that's probably the extent of it.    It's a cliché that keeps getting repeated. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chris Brown just said he thinks the Bills called him in the spring, before they signed McCarron, and he said he was uncertain as to whether he wanted to keep playing. Bills ended up signing McCarron but he was unhappy about being the #3 qb going into the season and uninterested in mentoring so they traded him and after seeing the first few games, decided to try to effort DA again and persuaded him off of his couch. Brown didn’t “report” that’s what happened, he was “speculating” - but it was an awfully detailed explanation and seemed like he knew that’s what went down. 

Then why not hire him as a coach?

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If it's your job to train trainees in "life", then yes.  But in the NFL, everytime there's a vet behind a rookie or sophomore QB, everyone goes on and on about what a mentor the vet will be.  There's no reason to assume that's what the guy will do.  Sure, he may give him a few pointers, but that's probably the extent of it.    It's a cliché that keeps getting repeated. 

Anderson is being brought in solely to be a mentor to Allen.  So he knows what his role is.  I'm betting that part of the reason the Bills traded AJM is because he had no interest in mentoring anyone.

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then how come virtually every team does it? Because it’s cliche? 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Anderson is being brought in solely to be a mentor to Allen.  So he knows what his role is.  I'm betting that part of the reason the Bills traded AJM is because he had no interest in mentoring anyone.

No, he's primarily being brought in to replace Peterman.

If he helps Allen out, great.  If he doesn't, we'll never know the difference.

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Then how come virtually every team does it? Because it’s cliche? 

Virtually every team brings in a vet to mentor the young QB??

Who did the Jets bring in?  Oh, McKown was already there.

Who did the Cardinals bring in?  Is Bradford aware that's his new job?

Who did the Chiefs bring in?  The dumped the veteran QB because they figured Mahomes was ready all by himself, unless you want to convince me that Chad Henne is his mentor now?

Who did the Rams bring in?  They got rid of Keenum after Goff's rookie year.  They brought in Sean Mannion to mentor Goff?

Who did the Bears bring in to mentor Trubisky?  Mike Glennon?  Chase Daniel?

Who mentored Mariota....Zach Mettenberger?  Matt Cassell? Blaine Gabbert?  That's a lot of mentors in 4 seasons!

Mayfield is off and running after beating out...his "mentor", TT?

Edited by Mr. WEO

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lol.  No, there’s no guarantee.  In this case, DA was brought in to help mentor Allen.  McD has said so much.  I’m sure that he will be doing just that.  It’s a cliche that keeps being repeated because it something that actually happens.  Just because it is said often doesn’t mean it’s a cliche.  In this case, it means that you there are actually Vet QBs that mentor younger inexperienced QBs. 

You surely can’t be saying that it doesn’t exist and that’s DA isn’t going to provide an experienced voice for JA.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Virtually every team brings in a vet to mentor the young QB??

Who did the Jets bring in?  Oh, McKown was already there.

Who did the Cardinals bring in?  Is Bradford aware that's his new job?

Who did the Chiefs bring in?  The dumped the veteran QB because they figured Mahomes was ready all by himself, unless you want to convince me that Chad Henne is his mentor now?

Who did the Rams bring in?  They got rid of Keenum after Goff's rookie year.  They brought in Sean Mannion to mentor Goff?

Who did the Bears bring in to mentor Trubisky?  Mike Glennon?  Chase Daniel?

Mayfield is off and running after beating out...his "mentor", TT?

They all had a veteran in place for the rookie. Only the Bills have a one year guy who started two games and didn't finish either. If you don't think all teams want a veteran QB to be there alongside a rookie you're completely intellectually dishonest. Of course they all want to play first and not only be the mentor. So does every player at every position. 

Just now, NewEra said:

Lol.  No, there’s no guarantee.  In this case, DA was brought in to help mentor Allen.  McD has said so much.  I’m sure that he will be doing just that.  It’s a cliche that keeps being repeated because it something that actually happens.  Just because it is said often doesn’t mean it’s a cliche.  In this case, it means that you there are actually Vet QBs that mentor younger inexperienced QBs. 

You surely can’t be saying that it doesn’t exist and that’s DA isn’t going to provide an experienced voice for JA.

See above.

McD brought in Anderson because he knows he can't keep Peterman on the bench behind Allen.  

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

They all had a veteran in place for the rookie. Only the Bills have a one year guy who started two games and didn't finish either. If you don't think all teams want a veteran QB to be there alongside a rookie you're completely intellectually dishonest. Of course they all want to play first and not only be the mentor. So does every player at every position. 

If you think Henne, Daniels, Bradford, Glennon, Castle, Gabbert and Mettenberger are there to mentor (or even have any significant interest in doing so), then you don't get to throw around the phrase "intellectual dishonesty"...

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Then why not bring in a vet after game one? If Anderson turned them down they would have just looked for the next best thing in their minds.

Because McD has a bizarre attachment to Peterman that cannot be explained by the kid's ability to play football.  He finally was told he has to get a legit backup because the possibility of Allen getting hurt has become increasingly more real.  This isn't hard to figure out.  They needed a better backup.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont suppose it cannot be both?

If it is, great.  But i bet that's not why Anderson thinks they signed him.  He knows NP sucked and they needed him.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

If you think Henne, Daniels, Bradford, Glennon, Castle, Gabbert and Mettenberger are there to mentor (or even have any significant interest in doing so), then you don't get to throw around the phrase "intellectual dishonesty"...

They. Virtually. All. Want. A. Veteran. QB. To. Be. There. To. Help. A. Rookie. Guess like Henne, Cassell, Bradford, Daniels, Keenum, are perfect guys unless they simply don't want to help, which happens but is quite rare. Been around the league and on a few different teams under different systems.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because McD has a bizarre attachment to Peterman that cannot be explained by the kid's ability to play football.  He finally was told he has to get a legit backup because the possibility of Allen getting hurt has become increasingly more real.  This isn't hard to figure out.  They needed a better backup.

If it is, great.  But i bet that's not why Anderson thinks they signed him.  He knows NP sucked and they needed him.

Was told by who? And if this strange person told him this, why did this strange person wait a month when it was obvious 15 minutes into NP's first game last year let alone this year?

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, he's primarily being brought in to replace Peterman.

If he helps Allen out, great.  If he doesn't, we'll never know the difference.

The main reason he's being brought in to replace Peterman is to be a mentor to Allen.  If he plays, it's not a good thing.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They. Virtually. All. Want. A. Veteran. QB. To. Be. There. To. Help. A. Rookie. Guess like Henne, Cassell, Bradford, Daniels, Keenum, are perfect guys unless they simply don't want to help, which happens but is quite rare. Been around the league and on a few different teams under different systems.

There you go! 

Rare?  How did you come to that conclusion?   Keenum was gone quick, Bradford has been on several teams--I bet neither was (and isn't) interested in "grooming" his replacement---no more than Blesdoe was with Brady, Favre with Rodgers or Brady was with Jimmy G. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The main reason he's being brought in to replace Peterman is to be a mentor to Allen.  If he plays, it's not a good thing.

I can't take that seriously--and backwards.  You are saying that, all other things being equal, they went with the older guy because ....mentor.  That's nuts.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Why do people naturally assume that every veteran QB has to tutor or mentor a young QB?  There are multiple reasons why a veteran is valuable in the locker room, even if he's still competing with the youngster for playing time.

Nobody lasts in the NFL for 13 seasons by accident. 

If someone has stuck on NFL rosters for that long it means that the player has something valuable to offer to the team, and whether it's talent, work ethic, intimate knowledge of the game plans and defenses, acting as defacto assistant OC or QB coach, whatever it is - that is something that's invaluable that a young QB can pick up by osmosis that he won't get from another kid who's only spent 12 more months on an NFL roster.  

This shouldn't even be debatable and it's sad that it took this long to get a Derek Anderson on this squad.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can't take that seriously--and backwards.  You are saying that, all other things being equal, they went with the older guy because ....mentor.  That's nuts.

Pretty much.  I assume they worked him out and thought he would be passable if put into a game, but they brought him in mostly for mentoring.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Why do people naturally assume that every veteran QB has to tutor or mentor a young QB?  There are multiple reasons why a veteran is valuable in the locker room, even if he's still competing with the youngster for playing time.

Nobody lasts in the NFL for 13 seasons by accident. 

If someone has stuck on NFL rosters for that long it means that the player has something valuable to offer to the team, and whether it's talent, work ethic, intimate knowledge of the game plans and defenses, acting as defacto assistant OC or QB coach, whatever it is - that is something that's invaluable that a young QB can pick up by osmosis that he won't get from another kid who's only spent 12 more months on an NFL roster.  

This shouldn't even be debatable and it's sad that it took this long to get a Derek Anderson on this squad.

It depends on the situation.  In a scenario where a team has a starter and they draft another QB high to eventually replace him, no, that older QB likely wouldn't want to mentor him.  If he does, great, but odds are he won't.  In this situation where the Bills drafted a QB high and are playing him and then bring in an older QB, yeah, they're expecting him to mentor Allen.  And I agree, Anderson has been in the league for awhile for a reason.  But his play isn't really one of them.