Hurricane Michael

T&C

54 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does it really matter.  So, it's warming. Nobody is denying that.

Yes, but why is the climate changing as rapidly as it is?  The article states that the scientific community believes unequivocally that the change is anthropogenic.  It DOES matter because finding the root of the problem leads to the solution.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, but why is the climate changing as rapidly as it is?  The article states that the scientific community believes unequivocally that the change is anthropogenic.  It DOES matter because finding the root of the problem leads to the solution.

But what if the root of the problem is too much hot air on message boards?

THEN we have a dilemma! 

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

Wonder if it has anything to do with the dredging of the lake.

T/C,that's a good point,but if that's the case why would a place like Sturgeon Point  still be high ? I'm not claiming anything was done the wrong way by the ACOE but it makes you wonder...also,what are we looking at..12..14 miles from the lake and river to Lancaster? Blossom was bone dry under the bridge by Bippert's...over by Harlem and Clintion is was a trickling stream IMO,it was the lack of rainfall and the hot summer temps that made the fishing holes run dry,as Gordio suggested.Also,.we never had much of a flooding issue after the winter melt last spring,meaning low water levels. Peace.

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

But my real science friends insist everything is just molecules colliding and we are insignificant in this universe.

One sure didn't feel that way after he caught his wife cheating on him.....

We're all just dust in the wind brother.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm not a big fan of cheesy beach motels or 25 dollar,made in Bangladesh t shirts that turn into a ripaway after a few washes....you must have boyst62 on your mind again. I'm hip up here next to lake erie...and my federal tax dollars are worth pennies...have you seen the federal deficit.....peace

I hear what You are putting  down.  Do they bail us out with snow removal?

There has to be some natural resources coming out of there.  Western Gulf is petrol-chem.

How about cheap shrimp and seafood.  Work for the clean-up money.

51 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Better measuring instruments?  Not that I believe.  But, things changed as we went digital.

Look @ Great Lakes ice coverage survey and how satellites have made that 10 times more accurate.

Just throwing it out there.  Data only goes back 100 years.  Maybe we are on the warm cycle.  Those 100 yeats are such miniscule sample.  We are trying to create order out a lot of missing info.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I hear what You are putting  down.  Do they bail us out with snow removal?

There has to be some natural resources coming out of there.  Western Gulf is petrol-chem.

How about cheap shrimp and seafood.  Work for the clean-up money.

Red Tide is bad in those waters as well....global warming.

I agree the the worlds temp is cyclic. Saying there is only 100 years of data is absolutely wrong. Science can accurately determine the temps on different parts of the globe within a degree or two, at a given location, by the flora and fauna living there. This can be done going back thousands of years and more. + 

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Red Tide is bad in those waters as well....global warming.

Red tide is naturally occurring and could be fueled by water temp, but its more likely that the blooms are being fueled by nutrient rich releases from Lake O down the Caloosahatchee

7 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

I agree the the worlds temp is cyclic. Saying there is only 100 years of data is absolutely wrong. Science can accurately determine the temps on different parts of the globe within a degree or two, at a given location, by the flora and fauna living there. This can be done going back thousands of years and more. + 

Red tide is naturally occurring and could be fueled by water temp, but its more likely that the blooms are being fueled by nutrient rich releases from Lake O down the Caloosahatchee

Ahhh...Red Tide is on the Atlantic Ocean side,as well.

There is a VERY longstanding global warming thread on my college hoops board. Both sides of the argument have very bright people. Both sides are convinced they are 100% correct, and the other side is full of imbeciles. I just check in for a chuckle every few months. That thread will be alive long after I’m gone, I suspect...and they’ll STILL be arguing.

I’m do not take sides there, nor will I get into it here, but it amuses me. ?

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Ahhh...Red Tide is on the Atlantic Ocean side,as well.

Red Tide is NASTY! If you haven’t experienced it, it’s like chemical warfare on your eyes and nose. Then you add in the smell of all the dead fish for dessert. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Red Tide is NASTY! If you haven’t experienced it, it’s like chemical warfare on your eyes and nose. Then you add in the smell of all the dead fish for dessert. 

The blue/green algae that is growing in the St Lucy an Caloosahatchee is not much better. It grows in thick matts in the canals and other slow moving waters. The health issues have yet to be determined, but it has caused many people to leave the area. Symptoms are much the same as black mold for those with allergies or sensitivity to the stuff. This has been the worst year in my memory. The mats are loaded with dead vegetation and critters. The fly has been a pain in my ass this year like no other, you can see maggots and flies all over the crap

• Thank you (+1) 1

Who really cares.  Move.  People have two feet.  Just like living in a flood plain.

Who should pay for this?  Of course we should all chip in.  But how many times can we keep going to the well.  Other States would love to help, but you can't get blood out of a stone.  How about Florida institute an income tax to stem the population growth?

People walked out of the Dust Bowls and moved to California. How about walking away from the coasts, the populations are not sustainable.

Yeah... This sounds like a Richard response.  But somebody has to speak the truth.

Yet... Let's get everybody to think they are altering the climate so we can keep on doing unsustainable things like congregating on the coasts.  YOU LIVE ON A COAST with all the consumer trappings of 2018.  What do You think will happen.  It's NOT just You, Your Wife and Dog living on the stilted Homestead with a row boat in the attic.

I can't imagine what would happen to a place like Miami if it took a hit like this with only 3 days warning.

There are simply geographical locations that aren't sustainable with the populations we have now.  That My Friends was the "natural check" that was altered.  But let's worry about climate change now!

/rant

LoL... I can only laugh, humans are so stupid!

Get off you high horse! What about the billions of dollars of damage done through the midwest from floods and tornadoes every year, earthquakes and fires in California. Wildfires throughout the country. Go smoke a bowl so your lunacy does not affect your drive back to the ditch 

Edited by fl az fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There are simply geographical locations that aren't sustainable with the populations we have now.  That My Friends was the "natural check" that was altered.  But let's worry about climate change now!

/rant

Yet you sit exiled where???

lolololololo.  :wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Who really cares.  Move.  People have two feet.  Just like living in a flood plain.

Who should pay for this?  Of course we should all chip in.  But how many times can we keep going to the well.  Other States would love to help, but you can't get blood out of a stone.  How about Florida institute an income tax to stem the population growth?

People walked out of the Dust Bowls and moved to California. How about walking away from the coasts, the populations are not sustainable.

Yeah... This sounds like a Richard response.  But somebody has to speak the truth.

Yet... Let's get everybody to think they are altering the climate so we can keep on doing unsustainable things like congregating on the coasts.  YOU LIVE ON A COAST with all the consumer trappings of 2018.  What do You think will happen.  It's NOT just You, Your Wife and Dog living on the stilted Homestead with a row boat in the attic.

I can't imagine what would happen to a place like Miami if it took a hit like this with only 3 days warning.

/rant

People want to live in nice places. That means different things for each individual. I visited my sister in Wisconsin for the Packers game. It was in the 40’s with gray skies and drizzle most of my trip. That was September. (I know she wants to move south, but has been overridden by her husband.) I hated it. Some, like @plenzmd1 , were clueless, but he a good good guy in many other ways. 

One thing I know for sure.....we will ALL die at some point. I’d rather love my days on this earth than endure them in some God forsaken (to me at least) miserable hell hole with nasty weather. It’s just what's important to me. I like warm weather. My BIL hates warm weather. He lives in WI, I’d never live there if I had ANY other option (except I’d visit for the brief spring/summer/fall weeks). 

But I don’t judge the BIL, and I don’t care if he’s judging me for being far the wiser person.   ?

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

Get off you high horse! What about the billions of dollars of damage done through the midwest from floods and tornadoes every year, earthquakes and fires in California. Wildfires throughout the country. Go smoke a bowl so your lunacy does not affect your drive back to the ditch 

Institute an income tax, stem the population growth.

Again... Man effed up with the Dust Bowls.  People walked away because places like Oklahoma saw unchecked land grab in late 1800s.  Same thing with the coasts.  Too many people living there.

No high horse, but sustainable approach.  Yet... Let's think we are altering the climate and get everybody to but in because people can't move away from our problems.

Not saying the coasts don't produce natural resources just like the Midwest land produces. Like sugar and orange juice.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

People want to live in nice places. That means different things for each individual. I visited my sister in Wisconsin for the Packers game. It was in the 40’s with gray skies and drizzle most of my trip. That was September. (I know she wants to move south, but has been overridden by her husband.) I hated it. Some, like @plenzmd1 , were clueless, but he a good good guy in many other ways. 

One thing I know for sure.....we will ALL die at some point. I’d rather love my days on this earth than endure them in some God forsaken (to me at least) miserable hell hole with nasty weather. It’s just what's important to me. I like warm weather. My BIL hates warm weather. He lives in WI, I’d never live there if I had ANY option (expect I’d visit for the brief spring/summer/fall weeks). 

But I don’t judge the BIL, and I don’t care if he’s judging me for being far the wiser person.   ?

But those nicer places need to produce something for the group economy.

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Again... Man effed up with the Dust Bowls.  People walked away because places like Oklahoma saw unchecked land grab in late 1800s.  Same thing with the coasts.  Too many people living there.

No high horse, but sustainable approach.  Yet... Let's think we are altering the climate and get everybody to but in because people can't move away from our problems.

Not saying the coasts don't produce natural resources just like the Midwest land produces. Like sugar and orange juice.

The panhandle of Florida creates over 1.3 billion in revenue alone.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

The panhandle of Florida creates over 1.3 billion in revenue alone.  

Is that tourism/recreation or industry that can be a return to the rest of the nation/world?

Not being a wise guy, IMO... Industrial economy should trump a recreational/tourism.  Not saying the both can't coexist, sometimes a recreational economy isn't consistently sustainable for the Nation as a whole. Especially after events like this.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is that tourism/recreation or industry that can be a return to the rest of the nation/world?

Not being a wise guy, IMO... Industrial economy should trump a recreational/tourism.  Not saying the both can't coexist, sometimes a recreational economy isn't consistently sustainable for the Nation as a whole. Especially after events like this.

Seafood, recreational fishing, tourism and ag. Does that make you happy

55 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes, add taxes! WNY is thriving because of the taxes. 

Please stop. Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc thrive because financial success flows to lower taxes. Be a nice place to live, and financially friendly, and things come your way. 

What Florida has to do is diversify, and they are doing that. A new medical school near Orlando and less reliance on tourists is a healthy thing. Medical research and advancement follows. That’s HUGE! 

Did you have a bad emotional experience seeing the Dolphins rout us for the 70’s?  I know I did. 

Just now, Augie said:

Yes, add taxes! WNY is thriving because of the taxes. 

Please stop. Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc thrive because financial success flows to lower taxes. Be a nice place to live, and financially friendly, and things come your way. 

What Florida has to do is diversify, and they are doing that. A new medical school near Orlando and less reliance on tourists is a healthy thing. Medical research and advancement follows. That’s HUGE! 

Did you have a bad emotional experience seeing the Dolphins rout us for the 70’s?  I know I did. 

People leave because of weather.  Well, not these events. What will slow population growth in these areas?

Too many people when these storms hit.

7 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

Seafood, recreational fishing, tourism and ag. Does that make you happy

The “ag” looks small there, as the actual financial impact of AGRICULTURE is enormous from the state of Florida. Do you ever eat tomatoes, oranges, strawberries or other natural items? They probably came from Florida. 

• Like (+1) 1

Stupid rain blocking the dish so no Sabre game. Getting football via firestick. @Augie does not know good weather when he sees it..Green Bay was about the nicest weather i have been in since early May. 

Just raining hard here in Richmond. The "eye passing just south of us, about 20 miles away..some wind but nothing to worry about. Guessing about 5 inches when all said and done at our house.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

People leave because of weather.  Well, not these events. What will slow population growth in these areas?

Too many people when these storms hit.

People will vote with their feet. They will leave when they think the risk and cost is too high.

The problem is, YOU seem to want to vote for THEM. 

I’d go back to Sarasota, FL in a heartbeat if I could. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

The “ag” looks small there, as the actual financial impact of AGRICULTURE is enormous from the state of Florida. Do you ever eat tomatoes, oranges, strawberries or other natural items? They probably came from Florida. 

The numbers are only for the panhandle. The state makes many billions to the economy

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Don't leave out bottled water, a big thing really... and the tomatoes down here have no flavor, they just look like tomatoes. There is a big cattle/cow industry down here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Stupid rain blocking the dish so no Sabre game. Getting football via firestick. @Augie does not know good weather when he sees it..Green Bay was about the nicest weather i have been in since early May. 

Just raining hard here in Richmond. The "eye passing just south of us, about 20 miles away..some wind but nothing to worry about. Guessing about 5 inches when all said and done at our house.

I’m glad your safe, because people who play with sticks on fire need to be looked after. I’m sure if there was a deep history done, you bumped your head pretty good at some point. Most people do NOT love 44 degrees and drizzle.  No worries, we all love you! 

• Haha (+1) 1