Why doesn't Allen run more?

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

It's clearly the strongest part of his game right now. He's a young buck, kid is 6'5 240lbs farm boy, he can take a hit. You'd hope year 2 he turns into more of a passer, but until then, turn this kid loose!

He may not live to see a new day! (Rimshot)

But seriously, he cant develop if he isnt playing. 

The whole 'the best ability is availability' thing applies here.

58 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He does run.

We need him to learn to be able to make plays from the pocket so that when defenses "make him be a qb" he can actually do it......

I don't think we're arguing man I said he already runs a lot in my first post and I like it. So I agree with the sentiment of the OP and recognize that he should be good at all facets of the game as well.. we're both just saying we want him to be good.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't think we're arguing man I said he already runs a lot in my first post and I like it. So I agree with the sentiment of the OP and recognize that he should be good at all facets of the game as well.. we're both just saying we want him to be good.

Oh no my friend. 

You are in an argument, and it is for your Bills fandom.

Big John from riverside has laid down the gauntlet, and though you may never be sure what his point is. If he thinks you criticized this organization, football Gods be damned.

He'll shun you from the Bills, like a mennonite, because he obviously uses electricity to post on here and drinks. 

Fake Amish.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Oh no my friend. 

You are in an argument, and it is for your Bills fandom.

Big John from riverside has laid down the gauntlet, and though you may never be sure what his point is. If he thinks you criticized this organization, football Gods be damned.

He'll shun you from the Bills, like a mennonite, because he obviously uses electricity to post on here and drinks. 

Fake Amish.

I must be thinking of another river John, I thought he was one of us! Ya know, the process deniers, I've been keeping an eye out on spam repeat posts.. ya know the "this year is all about JA and not wins" and "nothing really matters ever because we are in a figment existential universe called the process so everything that happens is good."

I thought he wasn't one of the Brave New World posters!

I ****ing love your post though. Not to attack someone individually (only Joe for me) but you describe the exact posters that are slowly killing my soul.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Didn't we get rid of the last guy who got them to playoffs because he relies on his legs to make plays?

Now we want more of it? 

His identity can change into that of a passing QB, probably over this year, especially into next. But for now? You do what you're good at.

And for the record I loved it when Tyrod ran.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

I remember when Bortles did that to us last year. Hard to stop.

Bortles is actually not a big running QB.  He's not a statue, but he averages in the low-20s per game most years, 19 or 22 or 20

For comparison, Allen is averaging 29 ypg so far.

The reason Bortles was hard to stop is the defensive game plan McDermott took into the Jax game.  We basically sold out to stop the run - said no matter what, we're going to smother Fournette and dare Bortles to beat us with his arm.  We did, and he couldn't, but the same tactics that smothered the run left us vulnerable over the middle and eventually he started to exploit that.

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Appears to be more durable that way than TT, and definitely forces D coordinators to account for it, possibly opening up some of the tight coverages downfield, but at the end of the day needs to be a tool in the toolbox, not the main event obviously.

I wish people would quit with equating a 6'5" 240 lb frame with being durable.  Durability is not directly related to size!

TT was very durable as far as taking a lickin' and keepin' on tickin'.  He missed very few games due to injury.  It remains to be seen how durable JA will be through a pro NFL season, but bear in mind he 's got a steel plate and screws holding his shoulder together.

9 minutes ago, jr1 said:

the guys with the longest consecutive game streaks like Rivers and Eli stay in the pocket

I.. don't really care about that, Favre got the crap knocked out of him, Cam is Ironman, those guys can take a beating and Cam has missed a game or 2, Favre holds the streak, you just want your Quarterback to be tough as nails (like Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Brett, Cam, Rodgers) but play to whatever style makes them tick.. Big Ben's broken play trademark breaks him a lot but he wouldn't be Big Ben if he played like Phillip Rivers.. he'd be pretty mediocre if he didn't extend plays.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bortles is actually not a big running QB.  He's not a statue, but he averages in the low-20s per game most years, 19 or 22 or 20

He always seems to have those games where he gashes a team that doesn't respect the scramble. If he's got a spy he plays the straight and narrow, but he gets those 80 yard rushing games every now and then.. did it to us in London in the EJ game too.

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

His identity can change into that of a passing QB, probably over this year, especially into next. But for now? You do what you're good at.

And for the record I loved it when Tyrod ran.

Respond to my other post.

It's becoming routine on here, well the internet in general, that when someone says something you can't prove wrong. You call him a troll.

I don't mind Allen using his legs, and I hope he can do what you and them hope he can. I just haven't seen one sign of that yet.

Again, as I've said, and you've ignored. It's early, he was dealt a ****ty hand. The oline struggles, run game struggles, his wr's suck. He's in an awful position.

**** even his coordinator is questionable. It's a lot for him to overcome and I recognize that. It's just weird that they ran the guy, the fans too, out of town who used his legs and now people want more of this guy using his legs and are completely infatuated with it...

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Respond to my other post.

It's becoming routine on here, well the internet in general, that when someone says something you can't prove wrong. You call him a troll.

I don't mind Allen using his legs, and I hope he can do what you and them hope he can. I just haven't seen one sign of that yet.

Again, as I've said, and you've ignored. It's early, he was dealt a ****ty hand. The oline struggles, run game struggles, his wr's suck. He's in an awful position.

**** even his coordinator is questionable. It's a lot for him to overcome and I recognize that. It's just weird that they ran the guy, the fans too, out of town who used his legs and now people want more of this guy using his legs and are completely infatuated with it...

They didn't run Tyrod out of town because he ran, that was his saving grace. They simply think Allen will develop into a better passer over time, which won't be hard for him to do but that doesn't mean he shouldn't run, dual threat QBs are awesome and I thought Tyrod would have been a great mentor for Allen.

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

He is not Tom Brady, he is more like Vick, Tyrod, Cam.. it's a tremendous part of his game. Everytime Allen runs something good happens. I hope they design run plays for him specifically. Send everybody deep and Allen gashes them underneath. How do you stop that?

With a spy.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

CAM NEWTON WON MVP. RUSSELL WILSON. BIG BEN. It's okay to be unconventional. You win with what talebt you're given!

Cam Newton threw for a lot of yards and TD's. He doesn't only run out there. Big Ben is a pocket passer. Wilson runs around to make a pass.

Ultimately your QB has to be a pass first QB in order to be successful. I'm fine with Allen running it, but that can't be the focus of the offense.

Rodgers is top 3 QB and he runs.  Young, Elway, Montana, and Staubach are all in the top 10 and they ran often.  Brees, Brady, Manning, and Favre not so much.  

There is no one right way to play QB at an elite level.  QBs need to make plays with their feet from time to time.  That may be as simple as a QB sneak or a designed run.  Ideally he would take off once or twice a game.  Just need to be smart and a little lucky.

33 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Yea, too bad we didn't make the playoffs with TT.... oh wait????

Some might say they made the playoffs "with" Taylor, not "because of" Taylor. And others might even say they made the playoffs "in spite of" Taylor.

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

It's clearly the strongest part of his game right now. He's a young buck, kid is 6'5 240lbs farm boy, he can take a hit. You'd hope year 2 he turns into more of a passer, but until then, turn this kid loose!

I'm sure this was answered.  

They want Josh to learn to stay contained and not run around and into a sack for 10 yards.  

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You don't want your QB to take the hits, regardless if he has the size.  That is how injuries, and concussion protocol, happen.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He already runs too much.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Because you win from the pocket.....and our time with Tyrod Taylor has proven that........

as I expected.  Those ^ 

3 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The important part of all of the above options is

"...we made the playoffs ".

Your post was in response to another post that a QB who can throw from the pocket is needed to win. Yes, we made the playoffs with Taylor at QB. Any team is capable, in any given year, of reaching the playoffs with a QB like Taylor. As the old saying goes, "Even a blind squirrel..."

For long-term, sustained success, a team needs a QB who can consistently throw from the pocket.