Bills should try to trade for Amari Cooper, Raiders shopping him

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills need to acquire a WR who is not only capable of being a #1 but is a complete WR and has some experience in the NFL to help Allen. The Bills should also draft one relatively high with deep speed (2nd - 3rd ideally). I think Gruden is ripe to trade Cooper, who is eligible for the 5th year option and then  will want big money. The Raiders have shown they are willing to trade talent they feel can be replaced in the draft or cheaper. I believe the Bills will need to trade for and pay - perhaps overpay in this current climate- to obtain a real WR at this point. I would also look to obtain a FA WR who is more of a #2 guy that another team won’t want to pay - ie Tyler Boyd. May need to overpay a bit there too but this is what bad teams sometimes need to do to get talent (Jacksonville has done this over the last few years).  I would go into next year with Cooper, Boyd, Zay and a rookie as the top 4.

What would I give up for Cooper? A 3rd in 2020, 4th in 2019, Shaq Lawson. I saw rumblings that a just a 4th or 5th would get it done for the Raiders, maybe I’m overvaluing him but i don’t buy it. Gruden has been whining about fnding a pass rusher, Shaq is someone who he will have the ability to plug in  and determine if he’s a guy they want, and has a 5th year option they can use since they won’t have Cooper’s. Bills and Raiders would basically be swapping 2015 draft picks. 

The bottom line as I’ve said many times is that drafting a WR in the 1st is a crap shoot.  I think they need to take a OT or Pass rusher with their 1st pick. Cooper is a top 10 talent who has been successful, maybe he’s not elite but those guys aren’t going to be available via trade or FA. You won’t get a big time FA WR to come to Buffalo who has options. Going to need to trade for one who has the talent to be a #1 and overpay a bit. We saw they were willing to work the trade for KB, that has not worked out but they saw the need and got who they could. He will be gone at the end of this season. 

Thoughts? 

I thought about this last week.

good post

He drops the ball a lot.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Over the past three seasons, Cooper has had a drop rate of 13.62 percent, which ranks fourth-worst in the NFL (among qualifying receivers) behind Torrey Smith (16.82), J.J. Nelson (15.91) and Raiders teammate Seth Roberts (14.39).

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”

Personally I wouldn't go higher than a 4th and maybe Lawson. At the very least he gets separation and is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Just what we need to do - give up more draft picks.

We need to acquire a potential number 1.  I doubt we get lucky and find one in the 3rd round.  We have the worst WRs in football history and the free agent class is bleh.  How else would you like to get these WRs?  Like yolo said, drafting them in the first is a total

crapshoot.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - for a 1 year rental in 2019.  His value here this year doesn't matter because we aren't good.

I would actually be looking to sign him long term. That’s the “overpay” I mentioned.

going to have to give up something to get anything of value at some point. More mid round rookie WRs aren’t going to help

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Exactly.

How does adding Amari Cooper help our rookie QB recognize blitzes and throw to hot reads?

Having said that - I'd move a late round pick for him but only if they took benjamin.  They have to pay benjamin the rest of the year, we get more cap room this year to carry over into 2019. 

And when i say late i mean maybe give back the 5th we got from them. 

Edited by dneveu

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's on the roster next year so the comp pick would be 2021 as he wouldn't hit free agency until 2020.

I guess it depends on whether the raiders pick up his option but you’re right if they don’t trade him they probably would. 

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We need to acquire a potential number 1.  I doubt we get lucky and find one in the 3rd round.  We have the worst WRs in football history and the free agent class is bleh.  How else would you like to get these WRs?  Like yolo said, drafting them in the first is a total

crapshoot.  

“The worst WR’s in Football history”

Welp, at least no one is overreacting. ?

Receivers were running wide open underneath all day on Sunday. No one is denying that the unit could use some upgrades but a shiny new WR1 isn’t going to miraculously give our rookie QB the gift of pocket presence and defense literacy.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

i was a little sick of the drama dareus brought with him.  If he wasn't getting in trouble with the law, he was coming into camp out of shape.  

He was an elite DT and you put up with that with that caliber player. He's a pain in the ass and you deal with it and there's no way in hell you can say weren't a better team without him

Just now, uticaclub said:

He was an elite DT and you put up with that with that caliber player. He's a pain in the ass and you deal with it and there's no way in hell you can say weren't a better team without him

Elite? He's nothing more than a rotational DT at this point.