2018 Head Coach Rankings

Sources: Cardinals Plan to Part Ways with Wilks

KHoVu4Zk?format=jpg&name=600x314

Adam Schefter, ESPN Senior Writer

The Arizona Cardinals are planning to part ways with head coach Steve Wilks, according to sources, the next likely move in what is shaping up to be the most chaotic head-coaching cycle since 2013, when there were eight changes.

It now seems like a foregone conclusion that the NFL will see at least eight changes this season, and it could mark the most turnover since 11 teams made head-coaching changes in 2009, league sources told ESPN.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, joevan said:

I will stay with the coach that brought us to the playoffs.  Tired of the revolving coach syndrome that we had the previous 20 years.

McDermott gets at least 3 more years for me.

While Joseph, Bowels, Wilkes, etc are in jeopardy of losing their jobs our guy, who is completely safe as some believe is

14-18 including playoff game

532 points for (16.6 ppg)

726 points against (22.6 ppg)

It's been a lot of his personnel, coach hire decisions and game day gaffs that have contributed heavily to his poor performance, so why this belief that he is safe? If the Peguls are really that naive about him then they should sell the team to someone who won't let a BSer bs them. 

Edited by pop gun

On 12/22/2018 at 7:31 AM, JerseyBills said:

Thanks. McD gets so much out of his players , and we had the least expensive active roster in 2018 by a pretty large margin. He has an excellent defense with 5 first or 2nd year players starting on it . Dude can coach his butt off, happy he is a Bill.

He inherited a .500 team.  His record as a head coach is 14-17, and the Bills have been blown out or non-competitive in at least half of those losses.  McDermott is, at best, a mediocre coach, no better than any of the Bills’ coaches over the past 20 years.   Like all of them, he’s completely overmatched by the guy in NE.  If he were fired tomorrow, he’d probably get a job as a DC somewhere, and that’s about it.  I’m pretty sure he’ll get another year, but the case for keeping him around isn’t very strong.

Edited by mannc

Honestly besides Kyle, Lorax and Hughes I think we are really seeing how terrible the past leadership was.

As Bills fans you have to admit the past 2 years drafts have paid out much greater than the years previously.

Josh Allen looks promising and we have a few good pieces to the puzzle. Granted I think we are 2 more drafts and 2 more FA periods away from potentially having “that” team that can be something.

I personally from the outside think McD and Beane are doing a great Job. Next year with all the cap space  , having our QB in place and their 3rd draft we should start seeing some serious change.

Saints Rise to the Top As the NFL Season Comes Down to the Wire

AS THE CAROUSEL SPINS …

So with that theme as the backdrop, and seven days ahead of Black Monday, some nuggets from the rumor mill:

• Panthers GM Marty Hurney has built a good rapport with new owner David Tepper, I’m told, and so he and coach Ron Rivera are very likely to get at least another year. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that someone could be added to football ops. Tepper’s shown a keen awareness in the area of football analytics, so maybe that’s where a hire is made.

• At the very least, with offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich not quite ready for the role he was thrust into in October, the Cardinals will make major changes to its offensive staff. And there’s a pretty decent chance that owner Michael Bidwill goes beyond just that. First-year coach Steve Wilks is in peril. It remains to be seen whether or not GM Steve Keim is, too.

• If Keim is out in Arizona, word is that he’ll be a top candidate for the GM job with the Raiders, who would prefer to bring in an experienced personnel man.

• The Buccaneers are a little like Arizona in that word has held that the coach, Dirk Koettter, is likely to be gone, particularly with a staff full of assistants on expiring deals, but the situation of GM Jason Licht seems to be murkier. This job is the one that ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthyhas been connected most to.

• The Dolphins will almost certainly have change at some level. I’d be surprised if both EVP Mike Tannenbaum and coach Adam Gase are back, and a total blowup is not out of the question. If Gase survives, it’s a decent bet that GM Chris Grier would too, with perhaps added authority.

• The Packers’ search is underway, and the one name that multiple folks brought up over the last week was Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was hired into that job by Green Bay president/ex-NU AD Mark Murphy. Murphy’s running the show here, with half-dozen execs, including GM Brian Gutekunst, working with him.

• I’m told the Browns’ process will be absolutely wide open.

• Vance Joseph is all but done in Denver. As we’ve mentioned at a few points over the last few months, Broncos GM John Elway dove deep into offensive trends in the college game during the fall. So an outside-the-box hire wouldn’t be out of the question, assuming the scenario of John Harbaugh coming over, with Gary Kubiak as OC, is now dead.

• As for the Bengals, there’s been talk that owner Mike Brown could take one more run at it with Marvin Lewis in charge in 2019, before Brown cedes more control of the team than he already has to his children after next season. Brown is 83. Joseph’s name has popped up in recent weeks as a potential heir to Lewis, since the Brown family has coveted familiarity in their hires (Joseph was DBs coach in Cincinnati in 2014-15).

Of course, we’ll have plenty more coaching news on the site in the coming days.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

....doubt this.....long standing rumor has been Deadskins' Bruce Allen will reunite with Chuckie from their TB days together......now that Reggie has been squeezed out, the red carpet is out.....

..."If Keim is out in Arizona, word is that he’ll be a top candidate for the GM job with the Raiders, who would prefer to bring in an experienced personnel man".....

I wonder about Mike Tomlin. I don't begrudge the decision go for it in the NO game, but if you're gonna go out swinging, you go out with your HOF QB.

The Steelers are a stable organization and don't make flippant decisions, so my guess is he'll be back for one more crack at it.

Sidenote; Did anyone catch Bruce Arians giving himself a plug during the broadcast? "These teams need to hire experienced head coaches." He wants in somewhere.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 minutes ago, greenyellowred said:

On the Steeler forums, many posters have been calling for the firing of Mike Tomlin very vocally. So there is a good chance he will be available next week, assuming they don't make the playoffs. I doubt he would come to Buffalo though.

Based on posters' feelings on forums?  You can't be serious. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/25/2018 at 7:47 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....doubt this.....long standing rumor has been Deadskins' Bruce Allen will reunite with Chuckie from their TB days together......now that Reggie has been squeezed out, the red carpet is out.....

..."If Keim is out in Arizona, word is that he’ll be a top candidate for the GM job with the Raiders, who would prefer to bring in an experienced personnel man".....

On 12/24/2018 at 1:10 PM, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Honestly besides Kyle, Lorax and Hughes I think we are really seeing how terrible the past leadership was.

As Bills fans you have to admit the past 2 years drafts have paid out much greater than the years previously.

Josh Allen looks promising and we have a few good pieces to the puzzle. Granted I think we are 2 more drafts and 2 more FA periods away from potentially having “that” team that can be something.

I personally from the outside think McD and Beane are doing a great Job. Next year with all the cap space  , having our QB in place and their 3rd draft we should start seeing some serious change.

IDK, all of the talent they acquired is doing quite well on other teams. You can't trade or release all the young talent and then point the finger at the previous regime for the lack of talent. We could be 2 guards away from a good line, but now it's at least 1 tackle and 2 guards because they decided to part with Glenn. Teams like the Bills don't just get big name free agents, so you better hope for an amazing draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

Coaching Candidates: Lots of Potential First-Timers

By Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport NFL.com

As a number of NFL teams contemplate final decisions on potential head-coaching changes, they must ask whether they can really get an upgrade over their incumbent coach. So, keep this in mind:

Numerous NFL executives and other sources familiar with coaching searches have said in recent weeks they feel this is the thinnest pool of candidates in years, if not decades.

It's not a surprise to see the Baltimore Ravens announce they're sticking with a Super Bowl winner in John Harbaugh, and no one should be shocked to hear the Carolina Panthers are leaning against making a change as we enter the regular season's final weekend. Harbaugh would've instantly been one of the hottest candidates, as would Ron Rivera if he came available.

That doesn't mean good head coaches won't emerge from this group. There just aren't as many clear-cut, qualified choices that teams will race to hire, and decision makers might end up digging deeper to find the right person. The two teams with head-coaching vacancies already, the Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers, both intend to conduct a large number of interviews -- perhaps a dozen, if not more, sources say.

Last year, 27 different coaches interviewed for seven head-coaching vacancies, according to our database. The following is a list of names most likely to come up as interview targets this time around, listed alphabetically within each category. (Note: It does not include any current head coaches who have not yet been fired.)