This Day In Bills History: Ralph Fires Kay Stephenson in 1985

The Buffalo News is apparently doing throwback segments and they are pretty damn cool.

In the article below, you can read about how Ralph fires Kay Stephenson after a 2-14 season and a dismal start.  In classic Ralph fashion, he wrote a really strange press release.  

To anyone that was old enough to remember this what was the deal with Kay?  What do you remember?  In any event, great work @JoshBarnett  Keep these kind of features coming 

https://buffalonews.com/2016/10/01/october-1-1985-31-years-ago-buffalo-bills-head-coach-kay-stephenson-fired/

1 minute ago, Helpmenow said:

Franchise was in jeopardy according to Ralph. Vince Ferragamo and Bruce mathison was the Qb

Vince and Bruce.

People who think they've seen bad quarterbacking the past 20 years haven't seen anything.  Imagine two full seasons of Nathan Peterman...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Vince and Bruce.

People who think they've seen bad quarterbacking the past 20 years haven't seen anything.  Imagine two full seasons of Nathan Peterman...

To be fair, as I remember (season ticket holder at the time) Ferragamo moved the ball between the 20's pretty well through the air, they just couldn't score....

My earliest Bills memory is from the 1979 season when I was 10. I remember quite a bit about the early 80s Bills but I must have scrubbed most of this painful season out of my memory banks. I can barely remember Ferragamo as a Bill. I do remember that Ferragamo was pretty much a shadow of his former self by the time he was with the Bills. The QB that took the Rams to the SB in the 79 season was long gone. I do actually recall Ferragamo's disaster as a QB in the CFL with Montreal a couple of years before that. He basically bankrupted the franchise and his performance was putrid.  The 85 team was possibly the worst Bills team of all time.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

The Buffalo News is apparently doing throwback segments and they are pretty damn cool.

In the article below, you can read about how Ralph fires Kay Stephenson after a 2-14 season and a dismal start.  In classic Ralph fashion, he wrote a really strange press release.  

To anyone that was old enough to remember this what was the deal with Kay?  What do you remember?  In any event, great work @JoshBarnett  Keep these kind of features coming 

https://buffalonews.com/2016/10/01/october-1-1985-31-years-ago-buffalo-bills-head-coach-kay-stephenson-fired/

What I remember most about Kay was that as QB coach in the playoff game in Cincinnati, the Bills had a clutch 4th down conversion in the last minute of the game called back for delay of game. Kay said he took too long to get the play in. Then he's our HC and the team was one of the worst in Bills history. When they decided to keep him on at the end of the prior season, I called the Bills to complain, first and only time I ever did anything like that.

1 hour ago, Ray Finkel said:

Joe Dufek!

QB and special teams player.  What an awful time to be a Bills season ticket holder.

• Like (+1) 1