Have a question (couldn’t watch the game)

ShakAttack

I was only able to follow the bills game on Game Center and nfl red zone.  All I got to see on red zone was Allen’s horrid interception (and equally horrid effort by the oline) and I also got to see him get sacked a couple times. On the bright side, whenever they showed our defense they were stepping up and making plays. As far as Game Center, it was just “josh Allen throws incomplete to _____” over and over again. 

And since I can’t find an “all the throws” video yet, my question is..... what was the problem this time?  More dropped passes?  More inaccuracy?   I noticed he had a couple deep ball attempts, was anything close?? Sooner or later he’s gotta hit one of these I mean hell even EJ Manuel did on occassion; you’re bound to have a lucky throw (then again the lucky throws I’ve seen involved drops by Robert foster)

14 incompletions in a half is not easy to pull off so it has me wondering WTF happened

3 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I was only able to follow the bills game on Game Center and nfl red zone.  All I got to see on red zone was Allen’s horrid interception (and equally horrid effort by the oline) and I also got to see him get sacked a couple times. On the bright side, whenever they showed our defense they were stepping up and making plays. As far as Game Center, it was just “josh Allen throws incomplete to _____” over and over again. 

And since I can’t find an “all the throws” video yet, my question is..... what was the problem this time?  More dropped passes?  More inaccuracy?   I noticed he had a couple deep ball attempts, was anything close?? Sooner or later he’s gotta hit one of these I mean hell even EJ Manuel did on occassion; you’re bound to have a lucky throw (then again the lucky throws I’ve seen involved drops by Robert foster)

14 incompletions in a half is not easy to pull off so it has me wondering WTF happened

Imo, rushing the play resulting in poor mechanics and several wildly inaccurate throws in the first half, coupled with trying too hard to force the issue and making something happen when it just wasn’t there. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I think the majority were inaccurate passes....lots of balls that Wilt Chamberlin wouldn't have been able to catch on the deep balls...and just off target on the shorter passes.  Not giving up on the kid, but it was a sort of EJ-esque performance.  To be fair, he had a lot of pressure at times, and I think it caused him to hear footsteps at times...

Just now, sleeby said:

The theme of the day for Biils passing game was our WRs cannot catch and josh was quickly under attack most every play.

I think most of what he threw yesterday would fall into the 'uncatchable" category.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the responses... definitely not a good sign.  I realize he’s still raw and has much to learn, but the thing you look for is improvement from week to week, learning from mistakes, etc. and yesterday’s performance was major regression. He will need a lot of support to have a chance in this league and we better get him that this off season. On the bright side, Mitch trubisky was severely flawed as a rookie and look at him now. Really hoping to see that type of improvement from Allen in year 2.  That second year is pretty much what defines a young qb, but in the meantime, he better not be having performances like this several wks from now.  Can you really fix inaccuracy though? Ugh... I’m trying REALLY hard to be optimistic about the kid but i have to stop it there before I start venting too much (I.e. we had Mahomes right there for the taking in 2017 but instead we pay a Kings ransom for Allen in 18). Somehow this franchise is cursed when it comes to drafting QBs, but I’m trying to stay positive doggone it!

The key to Josh's accuracy seems to be his footwork, and when a qb is rushed that usually goes out the window.  He was rushed, hurried, knocked down and harassed quite a bit.

There were a few plays where he had a good pocked and plenty of time, but he pulled a Tyrod and bailed too early.  Probably because he only had a pocket a three seconds to throw just a handful of times.

He had some bizarre throws in the first few possessions that were somewhere between throwaways and just wild misses.  Settled down a little after that.

Daboll called a poor game.  Instead of a mix of pass and run, he called far too many pass plays.   As far as the WR's go, not a single one seemed tuned into the fact that when the defense brings extra pressure, your route needs to change because the qb now has two seconds not four.  So this left Josh running for his life and holding the ball far too long.

In contrast, Rogers averaged less than 2 seconds per throw--Josh was double that.   It was almost like they treated Rogers as the new guy with quick one-read throws , and we drew up a game plan for our Rookie that had him throwing from 3+ second pockets, which we simply don't have right now (not many teams do).  Combine that with very limited use of Shady, and it was just an awful game plan by the Bills.

The Redskins exposed Green Bay's weak run defense, but we decided the best way to attack them was to 7 step drop our rookie qb in Lambeau all day with basically no weapons to throw to.  Genius.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The key to Josh's accuracy seems to be his footwork, and when a qb is rushed that usually goes out the window.  He was rushed, hurried, knocked down and harassed quite a bit.

There were a few plays where he had a good pocked and plenty of time, but he pulled a Tyrod and bailed too early.  Probably because he only had a pocket a three seconds to throw just a handful of times.

He had some bizarre throws in the first few possessions that were somewhere between throwaways and just wild misses.  Settled down a little after that.

Daboll called a poor game.  Instead of a mix of pass and run, he called far too many pass plays.   As far as the WR's go, not a single one seemed tuned into the fact that when the defense brings extra pressure, your route needs to change because the qb now has two seconds not four.  So this left Josh running for his life and holding the ball far too long.

In contrast, Rogers averaged less than 2 seconds per throw--Josh was double that.   It was almost like they treated Rogers as the new guy with quick one-read throws , and we drew up a game plan for our Rookie that had him throwing from 3+ second pockets, which we simply don't have right now (not many teams do).  Combine that with very limited use of Shady, and it was just an awful game plan by the Bills.

The Redskins exposed Green Bay's weak run defense, but we decided the best way to attack them was to 7 step drop our rookie qb in Lambeau all day with basically no weapons to throw to.  Genius.

Excellent breakdown of the game. Thank you for that. And definitely agree that a huge part of Allen’s success this season will depend on Daboll’s game planning, recognition of Allen and our offense’s strengths and weaknesses along with our opponent’s defense. Did a great job with that a week ago but followed it up with a train wreck. 

45 minutes ago, sleeby said:

The theme of the day for Biils passing game was our WRs cannot catch and josh was quickly under attack most every play.

Our wrs can't catch or get separation 

Our oline can only sustain 1.5 seconds 

And Josh does have accuracy issues

He needs a better qb coach assuming he even has one?

Didn't see it yesterday but say a stat somewhere today that on his 29 drops, he was sacked, pressured or knocked down 24 times. Some is on him for holding it too long but also on the radio Tasker said he put the OL in the wrong protections and didn't know where to go with the ball. And the OL was overmatched as lot as well, hence no running game. 

35 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I think your analysis is spot on. We passed the ball too much yesterday.

As soon as the Bills were losing it felt like the team panicked and abandoned the running game. There were a couple of moments when the Bills had some decent running plays up the middle, but they never attempted to do that on a consistent basis.

Josh Allen had a very rough day. The O-Line did a poor job of protecting him and when they did the receivers were either not getting separation or they would drop the ball. In the first quarter Allen made some strange passes that weren't even close. I don't know if he was getting rid of the ball or just had to get rid of it from pressure.

I think the inaccuracy issue is being blown out of proportion. Allen was spot on with quite a few passes, the problem was that the receivers were in tight coverage so they couldn't make the catch and there were a couple of drops as well. The deep ball that Allen threw was overthrown and probably for the good because Robert Foster was double covered on that play.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

And no protection in front of him.  Did we even scout the Redskin game.  Everyone in DC was talking about GB's weak run defense last week.

I forgot who the color commentator was on the broadcast (Dan Fouts i think), but he was dead on.  JA is not stepping up into the pocket where his protection is, he is scrambling out away from his protection.  Just because JA is / was in Green Bay where MagicMan, Favre, and Rodgers have made history by moving around, doesn't mean he can do this carte blanche.  He has to learn that the NFL is not Wyoming of the Mountain West Conference of the NCAA.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

All of the above, plus holding on to the ball too long because WRs not getting separation. On some plays, he got sacked immediately after the ball was snapped. You name it, it was an issue yesterday.

I was stuck watching Red Zone since Miami was the local game.  I did see the play that looked like the doors opening on Black Friday and the onslaught on Josh.......and wondered if the OL had that particular play off