A few thoughts about the Packers game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

For those upset with pass protection, why isn’t Daboll adjusting with quick passes like the Packers did to us?  

PFF has a few of our guys ranked high in pass protection.  I just can’t throw them under the bus entirely 

No arguments with your opinion on Daboll. He is bad and needs to figure it out fast

Ivory got no chunks of yards.

The OL is far worse than Daboll and Daboll sucks so far.

Dak Prescott has just as bad WR and TE groups as Bills do and Elliot ran for 150. 

Commit to the run. Shady had 5 YPC. It's ok to run on 2nd and long. 

Beane knew about Wood and Richie and signed a bottom 5 C and drafted a 5th round G.

Beane got his QB but gave up too much to get Edmunds. McD is just as guilty wasting multiple picks to get Zay and Dawkins. Dawkins is fine but McBeane has put less talent on the field in year two and other than Wood, that is entirely their doing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

For those upset with pass protection, why isn’t Daboll adjusting with quick passes like the Packers did to us?  

PFF has a few of our guys ranked high in pass protection.  I just can’t throw them under the bus entirely 

I honestly don't even understand what his philosophy is..like what are his plays that he relies on...where was the quick plays from the minny game last week there just seems like a lack of cohesion in his play calling u dont see from otehr coordinators

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

PFF’s OL rankings are problematic.  They often don’t match with results on the field.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory got no chunks of yards.

The OL is far worse than Daboll and Daboll sucks so far.

Dak Prescott has just as bad WR and TE groups as Bills do and Elliot ran for 150. 

Commit to the run. Shady had 5 YPC. It's ok to run on 2nd and long. 

Beane knew about Wood and Richie and signed a bottom 5 C and drafted a 5th round G.

Beane got his QB but gave up too much to get Edmunds. McD is just as guilty wasting multiple picks to get Zay and Dawkins. Dawkins is fine but McBeane has put less talent on the field in year two and other than Wood, that is entirely their doing.

Dallas has an elite oline and Beane did NOT know Cog would lose his mind. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

PFF’s OL rankings are problematic.  They often don’t match with results on the field.

You mean Vlad Ducasse is NOT a top-5 guard???

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

PFF has no idea who is supposed to block who. There were free blitzers all day long. Ducasse let a guy come right through his gap helping Bodine. Absolute garbage. 

Edited by Dadonkadonk

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

5 - Allen - Well, I'm back off the Allen train this week. To be clear, this offensive failure was a team effort, but I can't say that I saw anything hopeful from Allen.  His Int's were all on him.  He carried the ball recklessly.  I have absolutely no idea where he was throwing the ball on the first few drives as they sailed out of bounds.  If that was him throwing the ball away, then he was bailing on plays very quickly.  Yes, he had limited time on more than a few occasions.  But with rookies, you look for throws or plays to build on going forward and I didn't see them today.  If he wasn't a top 10 pick and deemed our future savior by some, or even TT in a 17 jersey, the pitchforks would be out.  Again, this is a one game review, but I'm not seeing anything from today that puts him ahead of any of the other rookies so far.   He didn't break 100 yards passing until garbage time.

You are in the minority of fans willing to state the obvious--that Josh Allen is in over his head.  

It is ridiculous, as some have done, to suggest his performance can't be evaluated because the team is bad around him.  The team is bad around him, but pass protection is not bad on every play, not all receivers are covered on every play, etc.

There's plenty to evaluate.  What is concerning is that the things he is struggling with now are things he has always struggled with and define his game.  His horrid pocket presence is one of those.  His inability to read a defense pre-snap is another.  His accuracy problem is a third.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Besides Pierre Garcon, tell me how many names you recognize on offense and look at what they did against the Chargers.  Talent may not be amazing here, but it's better than that.  We have much bigger problems.

I think we can admit the 49ers have a great offense by this point. They were putting up yards with Beathard last year.. in nitro mode with Garrappolo, and still successful with Beathard. No I can't name most NFL offensive linemen. They do have good WRs.. Goodwin's a monster, Pierre. TEs. Not a bad team. And a team that gets yards with various QBs shows me they have talent outside the QB position.

We have much worse than the 49ers. Plus Chargers aren't as phenomenal on defense as we always want to think they are.

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You are in the minority of fans willing to state the obvious--that Josh Allen is in over his head.  

It is ridiculous, as some have done, to suggest his performance can't be evaluated because the team is bad around him.  The team is bad around him, but pass protection is not bad on every play, not all receivers are covered on every play, etc.

There's plenty to evaluate.  What is concerning is that the things he is struggling with now are things he has always struggled with and define his game.  His horrid pocket presence is one of those.  His inability to read a defense pre-snap is another.  His accuracy problem is a third.  

Im definitely concerned after this week. Hopefully he will correct the mistakes and play better against a similar defense next week. We need to see major growth by the end of the season. You pretty much know what you have in a QB after 16 games imo.

8 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I think we can admit the 49ers have a great offense by this point. They were putting up yards with Beathard last year.. in nitro mode with Garrappolo, and still successful with Beathard. No I can't name most NFL offensive linemen. They do have good WRs.. Goodwin's a monster, Pierre. TEs. Not a bad team. And a team that gets yards with various QBs shows me they have talent outside the QB position.

We have much worse than the 49ers. Plus Chargers aren't as phenomenal on defense as we always want to think they are.

Most importantly the have a good offensive minded head coach.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Certainly looked like it today.

Again, having a veteran start the season would've been ideal. McDermotts love for Peterman derailed that plan. 

McDermott needs to be accountable for that. They owe it to Kyle Williams to put a better product on the field. They convinced him to come back to play this year.

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I just dont care about this season. Its a lost cause. Get the number 1 pick and be done with it so we can execute this rebuild and start the ascension

If we get the number 1 pick we should take a QB, but we won’t which means there is a good chance we pass on a franchise guy.

Mike Pettine defense is awful vs the run. I was screaming all game on tv run the freaking ball. Pettine run D is so weak but went to there strength

24 minutes ago, billspro said:

I am just frustrated that I didn’t see any flashes of good QB play from Allen today.

The Bill's went to there strength Pettine is a much better Rex Ryan doing vs pass coverage. Run the ball so the QB esp rookies struggle Rex or Pettine type D.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

1 - Overall Defense - I think most teams would take giving up 22 points at Green Bay.  In a week where some guys showed up and others didn't, the defense looks to have kept up with their recent improvements and still showing what we hoped for in the offseason.  We didn't get the pressure we did last week, but you could tell the Packers were prepared for us.  Rodgers got the ball out very quickly and kept us off balance.  There were some holding calls missed that would have forced more punts.  Rodgers made some comments about how poorly they played on offense, but I credit the overall play of the defense.  There were definitely some missed opportunities with two easy dropped INTs.  They gave us a chance to win and was proud that they didn't give up when they showed no signs of getting any support from the offense

Rodgers looked way too comfortable in the pocket.  IMO, the game plan against him was timid, aside from an occasional blitz - good one by Siran Neal.  McD and Frazier were not scared of Kirk Cousins, as evidenced by the aggressive pass rush, but seemed terrified of Aaron Rodgers, as evidenced by little pass rush.  The defensive plan appeared to reflect this; let the DBs cover their receivers and, for the most part, do not blitz or stunt Rodgers while hoping the DL could get to him from the base package.  Aaron shredded the defense with this plan, just like Tom Brady will.  

15 minutes ago, billspro said:

Im definitely concerned after this week. Hopefully he will correct the mistakes and play better against a similar defense next week. We need to see major growth by the end of the season. You pretty much know what you have in a QB after 16 games imo.

Most importantly the have a good offensive minded head coach.

McDermott needs to be accountable for that. They owe it to Kyle Williams to put a better product on the field. They convinced him to come back to play this year.

If we get the number 1 pick we should take a QB, but we won’t which means there is a good chance we pass on a franchise guy.

It's still too early to really get worked up about this, because the season is still early and we could end up winning a bunch of games.  But if we genuinely finish this season in the bottom 3 or maybe even dead last, this is going to be a huge issue.

Only way not to take a top QB prospect in that situation is if you already have a proven franchise guy, and we certainly do not.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Mike Pettine defense is awful vs the run. I was screaming all game on tv run the freaking ball. Pettine run D is so weak but went to there strength

The Bill's went to there strength Pettine is a much better Rex Ryan doing vs pass coverage. Run the ball so the QB esp rookies struggle Rex or Pettine type D.

His defense also struggles against the pass if you are willing to take short throws that beat the blitz. Allen didn’t recognize the blitzes and held the ball too long which is a disaster against that type of D. We definitely should have ran the ball more.

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Rodgers looked way too comfortable in the pocket.  IMO, the game plan against him was timid, aside from an occasional blitz - good one by Siran Neal.  McD and Frazier were not scared of Kirk Cousins, as evidenced by the aggressive pass rush, but seemed terrified of Aaron Rodgers, as evidenced by little pass rush.  The defensive plan appeared to reflect this; let the DBs cover their receivers and, for the most part, do not blitz or stunt Rodgers while hoping the DL could get to him from the base package.  Aaron shredded the defense with this plan, just like Tom Brady will.  

My biggest issue with McD is he always plays not to lose. You will never be championship coach with that mindset. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

My biggest issue with McD is he always plays not to lose. You will never be championship coach with that mindset. 

Exactly.  Thanks for stating this.  I hope McD can realize this and change, but I have my doubts.

I thought JA looked lost today, for the most part, most of the game.

And when he's lost, he tries to make something happen..............which isn't always a good idea.............because he's lost, and has no idea.

He will mature someday, but probably not this year....................

Last year, TT seemed to come into the game with a solid game plan, and he seemed to execute the first few drives very well.

Probably because they practiced the plays, over and over and over. This game we looked completely lost.......

Why is JA standing there, trying to find an open man, one, two, three, four............SACK..................

and then, next possession...................REPEAT !!

You can blame the Oline, but I blame our coaching staff for doing an unimpressive job........again...............

The OP contradicted himself on #7 with #8 because if you can't get 3 yards on two rushing attempts using a 7 man line on offense then there is clearly talent lacking. This team lacks quality talent in certain areas like most of the offensive line and WR corps. Both look to be some of the very worst in the league as most starters wouldn't even be backups on good teams. 

I do agree with you on Daboll as he stinks! Once the team gets behind in points the run game plan goes out the window and this OC calls plays like he has an experienced veteran QB back there…with time to throw to receivers who can get open and not drop balls. 

The run game and the TE are a rookie QBs best friend along with a short passing game to move the chains and let the QB gain some rhythm, confidence.  Each and every week the Bills should be pounding that rock all game long regardless of the score and they aren't. 

The best player on offense is Shady McCoy and he should be getting between 20-25 touches a game and this game he had 8 touches. Shady even stated that the game plan this week was to get him more touches and it didn't happen