The flip to RR was the worst call I've ever seen.

4merper4mer

On 9/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Can anyone explain?

Sure thing. There were TWO problems. 1) It was too short to be a pass. Ball must travel forward, in space, at least ONE foot (12 inches). 2) JA did not have the ball long enough to establish true possession. It's the old "Patty Cake" rule. No Patty Caking with the football is allowed!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm looking at it right now.

orku49.jpg

Well with all the links you click on they probably assume you are part of the media. ;)Strange. I literally checked mine before I posted. 

And i I was surprised how quick the regular replay and condensed game were up and available last night. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Well with all the links you click on they probably assume you are part of the media. ;)Strange. I literally checked mine before I posted. 

And i I was surprised how quick the regular replay and condensed game were up and available last night. 

You're obviously not as cool as I am. B-)

On 9/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, 4merper4mer said:

It meant nothing but there is zero way to explain the no reversal on the flip to McCloud called a fumble.

It wasn't the worst in terms of impact but it could not have been an easier reversal.  Mahomes and Brady use that play and when it works it is called a completion, not a rush.

Can anyone explain?

• Haha (+1) 1

At first when I saw the title of this thread I thought “that’s a ridiculous overreaction.” 

But upon pausing and considering for a moment, it left me with a question regarding such things: Is the severity of a bad called based on the actual divergence from the rules, or based on the impact it has on the game?

For instance, there was a fairly ridiculous roughing the passer call against JPP tonight that was mentioned to be silly, but not examined as closely as the ones against Matthews. How much of that comes from the timing and the impact it has on games?

For me, the RR “fumble” doesn’t seem that horrible, but if it had been on a game tying drive and the D had recovered, I’d be making my picket signs.

this contributes nothing to this specific call, but is rather an overall observation I had while thinking through the OP.

4 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Sure thing. There were TWO problems. 1) It was too short to be a pass. Ball must travel forward, in space, at least ONE foot (12 inches). 2) JA did not have the ball long enough to establish true possession. It's the old "Patty Cake" rule. No Patty Caking with the football is allowed!

This is not true. The play was a forward pass by definition. It is a forward pass (a) if the ball initially moves forward to a point nearer the opponents goal line after leaving the passers hand(s). (b) The ball first strikes the ground , a player or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponents goal line than the point at which it leaves the passers hands. Note : a ball that is intentionally fumbled and goes forward is a forward pass. 

That is the definition of a forward pass as stated in NFL rules section 8 section 1 article 1 a and b. There is no mention of one foot anywhere . It is clear that the officials blew the call. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, John in Jax said:

None of what you just posted is true.  There is no distance rule to determine a pass nor is there anything about possessing the ball for a certain length of time. 

Here is the actual rule.

Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble Section 1 Forward Pass DEFINITION Article 1 Definition It is a forward pass if: (a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s); or (b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s). Note: A ball that is intentionally fumbled and goes forward is a forward pass. A ball that is intentionally muffed, and goes forward or backward, is a batted ball (12-1-8). The direction taken by a fumbled or muffed ball does not affect the application of the rules specific to such acts, unless it is ruled that they are intentional. When a player is in control of the ball and attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass. (a) If the passer is attempting to throw a forward pass, but contact by an opponent materially affects him, causing the ball to go backward, it is a forward pass, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else. (b) If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body, it is a forward pass. If the player loses possession after he has tucked the ball into his body, it is a fumble. (c) If the passer loses possession of the ball while attempting to recock his arm, it is a fumble.

The ball went towards the opponents goal line and it strikes another player nearer the goal line.  It was a pass. It would have been in the stats as a completed pass and passing yards.  They blew the call.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

They won the game and they're focused on Green Bay I think they just want to move on.

I just want an explanation from the league on this one. Was it a correct call? Why/why not? 

What done is done, but there is utility on knowing "why it was(n't) the correct call."

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I just want an explanation from the league on this one. Was it a correct call? Why/why not? 

What done is done, but there is utility on knowing "why it was(n't) the correct call."

I agree, 

So the ball didn't appear to go forward or Allen never had possession. (according to officials)

It would be nice to know...

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is not true. The play was a forward pass by definition. It is a forward pass (a) if the ball initially moves forward to a point nearer the opponents goal line after leaving the passers hand(s). (b) The ball first strikes the ground , a player or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponents goal line than the point at which it leaves the passers hands. Note : a ball that is intentionally fumbled and goes forward is a forward pass. 

That is the definition of a forward pass as stated in NFL rules section 8 section 1 article 1 a and b. There is no mention of one foot anywhere . It is clear that the officials blew the call. 

This... Even the Ex Ref rules expert they have come on to explain certain calls said it was a bad call.

When I read the subject line for this thread, I thought it was a shared complaint from the past about the Pegula's decision to "flip" to Rex Ryan ("RR") and the switch from the 4-3 to 3-4 that hindered that groups progress. 

In hindsight, it makes more sense with what you wrote, OP, even though I was befuddled by the timing of such a take.  The fact that I was still inclined to read and chime in..idk what that says about me..?

On 9/23/2018 at 9:28 PM, Rob's House said:

Speaking of bad calls, next week I don't think we should block Clay Matthews. The league has determined that it's against the rules for him to tackle a QB.

every hit will be 15 yards 

Clay Matthews is this years 2016 Jerry Hughes   catching all the flags