The NFL Can't Seem to Figure Out Roughing the Passer Calls - No Changes This Season Regarding Body Weight on QBs

26CornerBlitz

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Whether they figure it out or not, the refs won't have the balls to call ANYTHING against Green Bay next Sunday. I expect them, especially Clay to take liberties as a result. 

Yep.   Make up calls are all but certain...

If I had the talent of an elite NFL pass rusher, I’m just gonna start crushing the opposing QBs... Not full Vontaze Burfict helmet to helmet stuff, but I wouldn’t hold anything else back.  They are going to call you for sacking them anyway (surprised one in particular wasn’t called yesterday, Romo made mention of it), but I’m not risking my health like William Hayes apparently did.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t, might as well make the hits count for something...

5 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

If I had the talent of an elite NFL pass rusher, I’m just gonna start crushing the opposing QBs... Not full Vontaze Burfict helmet to helmet stuff, but I wouldn’t hold anything else back.  They are going to call you for sacking them anyway (surprised one in particular wasn’t called yesterday, Romo made mention of it), but I’m not risking my health like William Hayes apparently did.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t, might as well make the hits count for something...

WTH is a defensive guy supposed to do?

On 9/20/2018 at 10:34 AM, row_33 said:

the hidden rule of officiating is to be sometimes lax on the rules to encourage creativity and excitement, to a point

you can't do that with robots and computers

More like the hidden rule of officiating is try to have as many games competitive into the 4th quarter as possible.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think the officials were just trolling Clay yesterday.  I don't see how that one was a flag.

....how the hell could he possibly avoid landing on the QB?....even as he was going down, he was pulling his hands out...three calls in three weeks is absurd......and of course Al Riveron issued a statement saying it "was the correct call".....BS....rule states "unnecessarily landing on....".....Matthews got hosed and McCarthy went crazy............

On 9/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, Best Player Available said:

When asked. Von Miller says he now always goes for a strip sack now In an attempt to avoid the 

roughing the passer. But also admits he's been called a lot for RTP. 

Wait till a high end QB blows out their elbow. They’ll then outlaw that. 

In a Podcast with Dean Blandino, Pereira says he has spoken to a current member and former member of the competition committee who is furious that the rule doesn't take into account whether the defenders weight on the QB was "unnecessary" or not.  If you put weight on the QB, period, it's a foul.  That's not how it was written or the spirit of the rule.  It was more meant for players who took several steps (I.E. Anthony Barr w/ Aaron Rodgers) vs. someone who lands on the QB within a split second.

Pereira goes on to say a majority of the competition committee (6 our of 8 ) feel that the Matthews hit WAS NOT an infraction.

Now, I'm not sure how someone could not see the "unnecessary" part, or "strive to" part of the rule.  But then I realize we are talking about Al Riveron, the genius who screwed the NFL for years with him micromanaging each and every catch by the millisecond and over turning catches that the spirit of the catch rule was not meant to overturn.

So we find ourselves again with a dips%!& Riveron who once again has taken it upon himself to take a rule that was meant to eliminate "Unnecessary" and blatant force and turn it into pretty much each and every occurrence as law.  Players, coaches, and media are speaking out about how ridiculous and inconsistent the rule is, and how it needs to be fixed.  Meanwhile Riveron sits in his perch in NYC basking in the glow that, once again, he has ruled as a dictator in a way that has thrown the game into disarray.  

To me, Riveron has to go.  He is a moron and for the second time within the last few years, he has made life in the NFL a cluster for the league and it's players, including a DL now blowing out his knee in Miami to avoid getting flagged.  

Riveron is an idiot that needs to be replaced immediately.  Especially when you have former refs who were in his position come out and say the calls are dead wrong.

Mike Pereira Twitter

Edited by dezertbill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1