The NFL Can't Seem to Figure Out Roughing the Passer Calls - No Changes This Season Regarding Body Weight on QBs

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The video doesn't make sense because the game is played at speed and these defenders can't make these adjustments in matter of well below a second. At this point you should just make hitting the QB illegal because these new rules are just an insane over correction. 

I don't agree. These guys can avoid putting their weight on the QB. They can and will adjust.

Now, whether or not that is right or good for the game, I don't know.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I don't agree. These guys can avoid putting their weight on the QB. They can and will adjust.

Now, whether or not that is right or good for the game, I don't know.

I don't think they can, as long as a QB is able to scramble and avoid a hit tackling a QB via a straight line is the best way of attaining a sack. This rule is way too hard and way too burdensome for defenders. There have been defenders who have hit the QB with their shoulder and because of the way they fell they got flagged. When one human being is taking down another human being in a matter of seconds it is almost impossible to expect them to make last second adjustments to how they fall onto that person. This directive is effectively making a QB insanely harder to sack in a manner that is completely unfair and almost impossible for defenders. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think they can, as long as a QB is able to scramble and avoid a hit tackling a QB via a straight line is the best way of attaining a sack. This rule is way too hard and way too burdensome for defenders. There have been defenders who have hit the QB with their shoulder and because of the way they fell they got flagged. When one human being is taking down another human being in a matter of seconds it is almost impossible to expect them to make last second adjustments to how they fall onto that person. This directive is effectively making a QB insanely harder to sack in a manner that is completely unfair and almost impossible for defenders. 

Have you played tackle football? I've played it and been in those exact situations. It is NOT impossible. It is quite easy. All it takes is a different mindset and approach to taking down the QB. I guarantee you that guys will adjust to it this season.

The question is whether or not it is a good rule, not whether players can do it. They can do it. Keep watching games and you WILL see players adjusting and these instances will go way down.

You can come straight at the QB, leave your feet to tackle him straight on, grab him, and then twist to the right or left as you both fall to avoid landing directly on him. It is quite easy.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Have you played tackle football? I've played it and been in those exact situations. It is NOT impossible. It is quite easy. All it takes is a different mindset and approach to taking down the QB. I guarantee you that guys will adjust to it this season.

The question is whether or not it is a good rule, not whether players can do it. They can do it. Keep watching games and you WILL see players adjusting and these instances will go way down.

You can come straight at the QB, leave your feet to tackle him straight on, grab him, and then twist to the right or left as you both fall to avoid landing directly on him. It is quite easy.

Players at the NFL 100% disagree with this. 

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Players at the NFL 100% disagree with this. 

I don't think they do. They just don't like the rule. They will complain about it and come up with reasons why it is bad.

And I don't necessarily disagree with them. I think the QB has too many protections and I also think the defense is WAY over officiated.

Just now, MJS said:

I don't think they do. They just don't like the rule. They will complain about it and come up with reasons why it is bad.

And I don't necessarily disagree with them. I think the QB has too many protections and I also think the defense is WAY over officiated.

The speed of the game at the NFL level is far different and it seems that it's a factor you aren't accounting for with this is so easy talk. 

On 9/27/2018 at 1:17 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I am likely in the minority here but I think this is fine and I think people have to just deal with the fact that this is the way it is in football in 2018 and going forward.

Sal, when he was subbing last week for tasker, said what has been said in a lotta places: kids are not playing football any more/ moms aren’t letting their kids play football anymore and the sport is at real risk for going away at some point in the future.

This isn’t just about sacking the qb, but all these rule changes to help make the game safer.

The players will ALWAYS eventually adapt and If I may paraphrase something we say around here when it comes to a particular local newspaper or radio station, if you don’t like what the game is turning into with these rules, then stop watching.

Even though some players are gripping, too, doesn’t even remotely make them right.

It’s time for some dinosaurs to become extinct to ensure the whole game doesn’t go that way in the future.

EDIT: and I know the main thing some of you are concerned over is the consistency issue, but this rule is new and it takes a little time...for it to get better, not necessarily perfect because they still don’t even seem to get holding right all the time.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The speed of the game at the NFL level is far different and it seems that it's a factor you aren't accounting for with this is so easy talk. 

That's possible. Another thing I haven't accounted for is the massive size of these NFL players in that  it is harder to change momentum when dealing with more mass and force. But I am positive the players will adjust. They have to. This is a similar situation to leading with the crown of the helmet. Guys have already adjusted their tackling to lead with the shoulder.

Every time new regulation comes out you have players complaining and saying it makes their job a lot harder. Happened with kickers and moving the extra point back, happened with the defenseless receiver rule, and it's happening now. In all cases the players adjusted their play successfully.

Players continue to look for clarity on body-weight penalties

William Hayes didn't watch any football this past weekend. He was primarily concerned with relieving the pain following surgery last week to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.

The injury happened in Week 3 when the Dolphins defensive lineman swung his leg as he contacted Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr. It was Hayes' way of trying to sway himself to the side in midair so that he wouldn't land on Carr and draw a penalty for landing on Carr with all of his body weight. The problem was, his foot was stuck in the grass, ending his season in the most ironic of fashions -- a significant injury caused by trying to prevent Carr from feeling some pain.

So in addition to the physical pain, the mental anguish of knowing he won't play again this season -- and realizing what it will take to get back on the field next year -- certainly didn't make Hayes eager to watch football.

"It's very frustrating because any guy who's played with me, they know what I put myself through in the offseason and every week just to get to the next game. To have that stripped away from me by trying to look out for somebody else's well-being and not my own is tough," Hayes said by phone Monday in his first public comments since the injury. "You're basically telling us, 'You can tackle everybody on the field one way, but this one guy, you're going to have to figure out how you can torque a 280-pound body in different ways to take the pressure off him.'

"It's frustrating as hell."

i think they've gotten the message, been a lot less trouble than i expected

that body weight sack was a true fiasco and everyone knows it

44 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Players continue to look for clarity on body-weight penalties

William Hayes didn't watch any football this past weekend. He was primarily concerned with relieving the pain following surgery last week to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.

The injury happened in Week 3 when the Dolphins defensive lineman swung his leg as he contacted Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr. It was Hayes' way of trying to sway himself to the side in midair so that he wouldn't land on Carr and draw a penalty for landing on Carr with all of his body weight. The problem was, his foot was stuck in the grass, ending his season in the most ironic of fashions -- a significant injury caused by trying to prevent Carr from feeling some pain.

So in addition to the physical pain, the mental anguish of knowing he won't play again this season -- and realizing what it will take to get back on the field next year -- certainly didn't make Hayes eager to watch football.

"It's very frustrating because any guy who's played with me, they know what I put myself through in the offseason and every week just to get to the next game. To have that stripped away from me by trying to look out for somebody else's well-being and not my own is tough," Hayes said by phone Monday in his first public comments since the injury. "You're basically telling us, 'You can tackle everybody on the field one way, but this one guy, you're going to have to figure out how you can torque a 280-pound body in different ways to take the pressure off him.'

"It's frustrating as hell."

meh.....  knees often shred over the least risky movement in the NFL

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

ok. 
I just watched Luck get sacked by two Pats earlier in game. The second one put his full body weight on Luck clearly, and of course no flag.

They have relaxed enforcement since the competition committee conference call last week.

• Like (+1) 1

From Albert Breer:

8. The NFL and NFLPA quietly traded letters over a week ago—union president Eric Winston penned one to the league, and league EVP Troy Vincent responded—on the enforcement of the helmet and the body-weight rules. Vincent wrote that the body-weight rule isn’t new. But there has been a change in emphasis, and it seems like that’s softening now. Patrick Chung’s hit on Andrew Luck on Thursday night would’ve been a flag in September—it stands an example of the in-season adjustment.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:32 AM, HamSandwhich said:

This is getting nauseating.  I'm finding that I'm less interested in the NFL year over year.  It's just getting worse.  Used to sit and watch games all day long.  Flag football it is I guess.  

It's silly now. Jerry's non sack last week took the cake. I hope intelligent human beings do realize that its impossible to tackle a qb without your total weight being on him. Its against the law of physics.  Maybe helium balloons need to be deployed from the back of the DE so he can run at the qb full speed,  wrap him then the balloons will deploy and gently take said qb ro the ground.  Or maybe the sacker could quickly diet during the sack....

• Haha (+1) 1