Amber Guyger Manslaughter Case

LB3

A white policewoman who gunned down a black accountant in Texas has been identified as new video emerges of the frantic moments after the officer mistakenly entered his home thinking it was hers and opened fire.

Amber Guyger, 30, was identified as the off-duty officer who shot 26-year-old Botham Jean in an apartment block in south Dallas on Thursday night.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6147459/Police-white-cop-shot-dead-black-neighbor.html

From everything I've read, it is a total tragedy. Even though it appears to have been an accident, she should be held responsible for her mistake. I'd love to hear the opinion from someone with a legal background on how they think this will play out. I feel it could end up being a potentially huge story.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

1 minute ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6147459/Police-white-cop-shot-dead-black-neighbor.html

From everything I've read, it is a total tragedy. Even though it appears to have been an accident, she should be held responsible for her mistake. I'd love to hear the opinion from someone with a legal background on how they think this will play out. I feel it could end up being a potentially huge story.

The manslaughter charge is entirely appropriate.

But since this is going to be portrayed as "white cop executes black man," there's going to be a huge backlash against those charges as insufficient.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The manslaughter charge is entirely appropriate.

But since this is going to be portrayed as "white cop executes black man," there's going to be a huge backlash against those charges as insufficient.

That was my thinking. A sad case where there really are going to be no winners. Except for people pushing division.

Manslaughter is appropriate. Nothing in the public facts would tend to support a murder charge (that's without caring enough to look up Texas murder statutes). The family is going to B word and try to raise a firestorm regardless of what happens. Hell, they're already bitching, screaming, and claiming cover-up because the Rangers want a few days to investigate before getting an arrest warrant.

Will be interesting if she had drugs in her system. I can't imagine how she could have walked into another apartment thinking it was her own. Did she not notice that it wasn't her stuff there when she went through the open door (which is an interesting detail they released, as it sets up the defense that she believed it was a home invasion)?

GOOD, BECAUSE THIS STINKS TO HIGH HEAVENProsecutor suggests stronger charge against Dallas officer who killed neighbor. 

“Police have not detailed the interaction between the officer and Jean, but officials said that she admitted to entering his apartment by mistake and at some point, shooting him, prompting her to call 911.” She was tested for drugs and alcohol, but so far no word of the results.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Just read a story about how this was a planned assassination by the Dallas PD...

Well, he was ambitious and black...

Probably uppity as well.

Edited by Koko78

The affidavit paints a different picture than some of the accounts given by the neighbors.

Steve Eagar

The Manslaughter arrest warrant for 30-year old Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger.

Steve Eagar
I am told by law enforcement officers that this description will likely be a key in officer Guyger’s defense: “Guyger drew her firearm, gave verbal commands that were ignored by...” the victim Botham Jean.

Wow, what a series of unfortunate events. The poor guys door ajar, probably didn't latch it or left it ajar for whatever reason, the lady thinks she's at her place, and the door is open because, obviously there is a robbery ongoing. Because she's a police officer, she continues in and the guy dies. 

Damn shame however it plays out criminally. 

There are some things in this case that so far don't add up. The article that B-Man linked had this little bit:

" The warrant for the Saturday search on Jean's unit states that he was "expecting an unknown visitor" and that his laptop or mobile phone "may contain evidence of such communications" with the visitor. "

So Jean was expecting an "unknown visitor", and this is the reason his front door was unlocked? I believe the time was nearly 10pm. Isn't it odd that he would leave his door unlocked, no matter the time, even if he was expecting someone?

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

As for her, she’s in Texas. She might have a chance at a not guilty verdict. 

Don't look now, but your prejudice is showing.

It's odd she wasn't arrested at the scene.  It's also odd that the victim had the door unlocked after 10pm.  If you're expecting a visitor, they can always just knock.  Why didn't the victim respond to her verbal warnings (shock, fear)?  Is the police officer telling the truth that she gave those warnings?  My guess is yes given she's a trained police officer.  Unfortunately, we'll never know and this is just a sad situation.  She'll likely be charged with manslaughter.  I feel bad for all parties involved.

Edited by Doc Brown

4 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Don't look now, but your prejudice is showing.

It may not be “ PC” but it’s true. It’s Texas. Everyone and their brother has a gun, right ? If you were the defendant, do you think you might have a better chance at acquittal in Texas than somewhere else ? Can’t say anything these days without someone saying you’re prejudiced etc. Everyone is prejudiced , so it’s nonsenical to mention.