The Organizational Incompetence of the Buffalo Bills

CamboBill

2 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Yes the Oline is bad. No the Bills should not have passed on Edmonds and Phillips to get less talented Olineman. Allen and Edmonds were rated in the top ten over all. If you can get a top ten pick at 16 you do it. There are things the Bills can do scheme wise to help the Oline. 

Every QB is different. Ever since that story came out about Harrington everyone thinks Allen is going to be the same type of player. Nobody on this site knows anything about Allen's mental make up so why are you jumping to conclusions that he cant handle it and the Bills will be drafting another QB next year......I hope you were kidding  because aside from Allen suffering a career ending injury the Bills will not be drafting a QB next season.  If they did, McBeane would be looking for new jobs right after the draft. They will sign a vet back up which they should have done this offseason. 

It may take a game or two for things to slow down for Allen. What if the Bills defense shows up and Allen does just enough to pull out a win in the next game or two?  

I think the Bills backing into the playoffs last year has heightened expectations of fans this season when they should be managed. Too many people are expecting to win now when the Bills are most likely a year or two away from hopefully being a contender. 

For the love of god! Please go back and watch that Bengals, Bears, Ravens games to see the Buffalo Bills 1st Bills offensive line be pretty much useless against teams 1st string defenses. 

Here are the numbers,

1st game Peterman 5 of 18 passing attempts for 24 yards, 2 INTs. Against the Ravens for a little over a half. NO POINTS

Preseason week 4, Bears. AJ McCarron 20 for 45 yards in the first half, 2 INTs.  That first half against the Bears 1st string defense, PUNT, INT, PUNT, INT. NO POINTS 

Preseason week 3, Bengals. Josh Allen 6 of 12 for 34 yards in the first half, 5 sacks.  NO POINTS 

So, If the Bills were going to do something "scheme wise" to help their QBs don't you think they would have done so by now? 

Peterman got the start against the Ravens because the only game he started in the preseason was the first preseason game against Carolina and in the next games he came in against the 2nd, 3rd string defenses. So he looked better then Allen, McCarron when in reality AJ should have been kept on the team.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/26/bills-rookie-josh-allen-overwhelmed-awful-bengals/1106809002/

""The Bengals outgained the Bills 246-76 as Buffalo had only four first downs and the overmatched offensive line allowed quarterback Josh Allen to be sacked five times for 39 yards in losses as Buffalo had minus-5 yards net passing. And make no mistake, this was not a case of a confused rookie holding the ball too long; he never had a chance as the Bengals’ pass rush impersonated a tsunami washing ashore.""

The last three games against the Bengals, Bears, Ravens the Buffalo Bills offensive line has played horrifically bad and I see no reason why things should change against the Chargers. I believe the average NFL time in the pocket to throw is 2.7 - 3.2 seconds and Bill QBs had usually less then 2 seconds in the last three games. Not to mention that there has been very little run game for Buffalo.    

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Question.  Is it not correct that, to get the protection and nurturing you want, they would have used all their picks on other players and hence would not have drafted the guy you want protected and nurtured?  

Different ways to build teams of course.

Actually I am ok with their draft.  We could have done more on the OL but I am happy with the Edmunds and Philips picks and we certainly had glaring needs at those areas as well.

It is just that if you do not have enough talent on the OL or WR units there is no point in rushing the kid's playing time THIS year.   He needs time to develop.  Spot him here and there, but do not throw him to the wolves when there is little upside to that choice

Just now, CamboBill said:

Actually I am ok with their draft.  We could have done more on the OL but I am happy with the Edmunds and Philips picks and we certainly had glaring needs at those areas as well.

It is just that if you do not have enough talent on the OL or WR units there is no point in rushing the kid's playing time THIS year.   He needs time to develop.  Spot him here and there, but do not throw him to the wolves when there is little upside to that choice

That would have been my preference as well. Too bad Wood and Richie has their issues.  It would be nice if the guys in the middle of the line sucked up a little pride.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

That would have been my preference as well. Too bad Wood and Richie has their issues.  It would be nice if the guys in the middle of the line sucked up a little pride.

Even Ritchie was partially self inflicted.  His meltdown might have happened this year anyway, but our needless low-balling of him (While handing out piles of $$$ to Star and Trent) clearly contributed to his emotional instability.

Wood was just injury bad luck.

Groy, Miller, Bodine, and Ducasse all appear to be replacement level players and cannot be trusted with protecting a young franchise QB project.

1 minute ago, CamboBill said:

Even Ritchie was partially self inflicted.  His meltdown might have happened this year anyway, but our needless low-balling of him (While handing out piles of $$$ to Star and Trent) clearly contributed to his emotional instability.

Wood was just injury bad luck.

Groy, Miller, Bodine, and Ducasse all appear to be replacement level players and cannot be trusted with protecting a young franchise QB project.

I wonder if they saw something with Richie that forewarned what was coming

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I wonder if they saw something with Richie that forewarned what was coming

If its true then they really are incompetent. Knowing you are losing to starting offensive linemen it would have been a good idea to, you know, maybe replace one of them if not both. They would pay players to play for other teams. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

If its true then they really are incompetent. Knowing you are losing to starting offensive linemen it would have been a good idea to, you know, maybe replace one of them if not both. They would pay players to play for other teams. 

They still had the cap stuff to deal with.  Personally I'd throw Ike and Wyatt in there, but I'm not at practice every day.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

They still had the cap stuff to deal with.  Personally I'd throw Ike and Wyatt in there, but I'm not at practice every day.

They would have lots of cap space if they weren't spending most of it paying players to play for other teams. How come other teams keep some talent around when they change head coaches?  

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

They would have lots of cap space if they weren't spending most of it paying players to play for other teams. How come other teams keep some talent around when they change head coaches?  

They are clearing cap space getting rid of guys who did not play up to their contracts.  Next year they'll have around 70-80 million and 10 picks.  

I can't comment on other teams because they have different cap issues with different guys.  The most obvious for us was Dareus and you can't have the guy making the most money on the team half-adding it.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, dezertbill said:

Title of this thread is ridiculous.  This front office has made some great decisions. 

One area it seems Beane fell short is the OL.  They underestimated the loss of Richie, Woods, and Glenn.

Frustrating?  Yes.  Leading to total FO incompetence?  Not even close.

Back off the ledge.  It's week 1.  Lets see how the coaches, team, and FO rebound from this.

Or It could simply be non-availability of good OL in FA or in the draft (at where they picked) !!!!!  The loss of continuity on the OL has definitely hurt this team.  

• 2 weeks later...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ... (A Tale of Two Weeks).

FWIW, I am still on the Josh Allen band wagon, despite how lost he looked out there today @ GB.

Pettine did a fantastic job generating coverage pressure and sacks, while also taking away Allen's running game.

Allen was clueless to adjust -- which is expected for a rookie as raw as he was.  Where was DaBoll with any meaningful half time adjustments?  I know we got down early, but where was the running game after Q!?

Anyway, I am commenting on this thread, because I am so disgusted by the lack of contingency planning on the Bills.

Bad games from rookie QBs are to be expected,  but Allen needed to be pulled today as he was clearly in over his head.  Not only was his play awful, but he was getting killed by the Pass Rush out there ---- to the point I was generally concerned about injury. 

By the 4th quarter, i had reached the point where I was hoping GB would extend their drives so that Allen would not be forced out there to get steam rolled yet again.  Allen belonged on the sidelines, preferably with a vet mentor seeing him through his 1st disastrous day as a pro.

Unfortunately, inept Bills management has us boxed in (Is yanking him for Peterman really an option?).

On the bright side none of the rookie QBs really shined today.  Even Mayfield (who put up big numbers) made some incredibly stupid turnovers.  This is the nature of rookie QBs.

I will say it again : GET A VET QB/MENTOR IN ASAP

Don't leave Allen floundering like a caught fish in a boat.  When things get twisted in any certain game, get him out before he gets hurt or has his confidence totally trashed.

I think the kid will eventually "get it"" .... but until he does he needs a co-driver to get him out of the nastier conditions.

19 minutes ago, CamboBill said:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ... (A Tale of Two Weeks).

FWIW, I am still on the Josh Allen band wagon, despite how lost he looked out there today @ GB.

Pettine did a fantastic job generating coverage pressure and sacks, while also taking away Allen's running game.

Allen was clueless to adjust -- which is expected for a rookie as raw as he was.  Where was DaBoll with any meaningful half time adjustments?  I know we got down early, but where was the running game after Q!?

Anyway, I am commenting on this thread, because I am so disgusted by the lack of contingency planning on the Bills.

Bad games from rookie QBs are to be expected,  but Allen needed to be pulled today as he was clearly in over his head.  Not only was his play awful, but he was getting killed by the Pass Rush out there ---- to the point I was generally concerned about injury. 

By the 4th quarter, i had reached the point where I was hoping GB would extend their drives so that Allen would not be forced out there to get steam rolled yet again.  Allen belonged on the sidelines, preferably with a vet mentor seeing him through his 1st disastrous day as a pro.

Unfortunately, inept Bills management has us boxed in (Is yanking him for Peterman really an option?).

On the bright side none of the rookie QBs really shined today.  Even Mayfield (who put up big numbers) made some incredibly stupid turnovers.  This is the nature of rookie QBs.

I will say it again : GET A VET QB/MENTOR IN ASAP

Don't leave Allen floundering like a caught fish in a boat.  When things get twisted in any certain game, get him out before he gets hurt or has his confidence totally trashed.

I think the kid will eventually "get it"" .... but until he does he needs a co-driver to get him out of the nastier conditions.

Regarding pulling Allen for Nate, you answered your own question.

No, that's not an option.

Regarding the rookie QBs, Josh Rosen who should be a Bill had a terrific game today for a guy so green; he made a bunch of good throws and was playing, in general, at a level beyond what Allen has shown so far.

I did not like the Allen pick and wanted us to take Rosen at that spot, but that's not coloring my analysis.

There is like a 7 minute video showing all of Rosen's throws today; watch it.  It speaks for itself.

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Regarding the rookie QBs, Josh Rosen who should be a Bill had a terrific game today for a guy so green; he made a bunch of good throws and was playing, in general, at a level beyond what Allen has shown so far.

I did not like the Allen pick and wanted us to take Rosen at that spot, but that's not coloring my analysis.

There is like a 7 minute video showing all of Rosen's throws today; watch it.  It speaks for itself.

Your take after today is that the Bills should have taken Rosen? Bwaaaa haaa haaa haaa haaa. The Cards played Seattle at home while the Bills played the Packers on back to back games on the road after playing Baltimore, the Chargers and the Vikings????? Holy **** that's funny. You are incredibly clueless.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:10 AM, CamboBill said:

This is not a "right situation" it is a very wrong situation to throw a rookie potential franchise QB into.

With the Green Bay debacle in the rear view mirror, I'm bumping this negative thread to the top.

In regard to OP: it's fine to play Allen. This is a free year for him to develop without the pressure of having to win.

OTH, stashing Allen on the bench for a year is more risky then starting him now. Stash him for a year will be putting him on a pedestal** and make his 2019 debut even more pressure packed and unforgiving.

** don't put things on a pedestal: "you put your ____ on a pedestal"

16 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Not sure I want to turn this into a referendum on whether Allen was the right pick or not.  Personally I was happy enough with it --- they swung for the fences.

You do make a fair point about Rosen's performance yesterday.  His stats were lackluster but he probably lost over 100 yards passing due to WR drops yesterday.  It looked like Arizona WRs were copying Bills WRs yesterday.

FWIW, I always thought that Rosen was the most NFL ready of the QB prospects this year (even more than Darnold).  My questions were more about his durability and upside, given his relatively limited athleticism and small frame.

Allen has loads more upside -- admittedly the bust factor is higher too.

Anyway, Allen is our guy now, and I simply want .to see him competently developed.

A lot of the problems yesterday were directly on Josh, but where were the game plan adjustments?  Where is there another competent QB on the roster to help out when things go totally off the rails?

This is a wasted year so i don't really care about W-L that much.  I can even live with yesterday's debacle, but what if this becomes a regular thing.  Our top QB prospect since Kelly gets trashed physically and confidence wise, and our rather fickle fan base turns on him or writes him off.  So what good is our wasted year?

Competent organization plan for and manage these contingencies.

Not seeing it with the Bills yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CamboBill said:

Not sure I want to turn this into a referendum on whether Allen was the right pick or not.  Personally I was happy enough with it --- they swung for the fences.

You do make a fair point about Rosen's performance yesterday.  His stats were lackluster but he probably lost over 100 yards passing due to WR drops yesterday.  It looked like Arizona WRs were copying Bills WRs yesterday.

FWIW, I always thought that Rosen was the most NFL ready of the QB prospects this year (even more than Darnold).  My questions were more about his durability and upside, given his relatively limited athleticism and small frame.

Allen has loads more upside -- admittedly the bust factor is higher too.

Anyway, Allen is our guy now, and I simply want .to see him competently developed.

A lot of the problems yesterday were directly on Josh, but where were the game plan adjustments?  Where is there another competent QB on the roster to help out when things go totally off the rails?

This is a wasted year so i don't really care about W-L that much.  I can even live with yesterday's debacle, but what if this becomes a regular thing.  Our top QB prospect since Kelly gets trashed physically and confidence wise, and our rather fickle fan base turns on him or writes him off.  So what good is our wasted year?

Competent organization plan for and manage these contingencies.

Not seeing it with the Bills yet.

Right now they are cleaning out the trash.....wont see it till next year I think

As usual panic time in Buffalo.  Allen is a rookie.  He makes mistakes and relies a lot on his arm.  The charge of organizational incompetence is off the mark.  No front off ice perfect but they have a plan and process that they are working from.  Benjamin was one of those things where a GM thinks a change of scenery will improve the player.  Miss on that.  They defense is coming around.  One more draft will help with the LB and DB depth.  Bills offense needs an infusion of talent.  I have faith in the front office,  That is a first for me since the Polian era. 

• Haha (+1) 1