Tom Savage Potential?

Flip Johnson

35 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

This is my point. We don't know how close the Peterman/Allen competition has been. I'm sure Bill O'Brien said "Deshaun is on schedule" and people expected Savage to play at least several games before the switch happened. 

I am rooting for NP. But if he puts up a goose egg in the first half or first game I can't see the Bills sticking with him for long.

The point is not that "Allen is Watson" - it is that NP might be Savage.

We do know.

NP outplayed JA in the preseason using the standard metrics as well as the eye test.

Was watching JA score those passing TDs awesome? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! But, that doesn’t make him ready. He also missed on a bunch and. Loooked. Like he couldn’t get the ball out under pressure, NP looked like he could. Hopefully NP can.

Peterman doesn't handle pressure well. This scenario could definitely happen.

I think starting Peterman or McCarron and trading the other was always the right move. It's the natural progression of QBs. You let the vet run their course, however long, and then start the incumbent's era without looking back.

Will Watson regress or maintain his high level of performance?  61.8% comp percentage and over 2:1 TD:INT ratio is one hell of a start.   That will be one of the great story lines of 2018

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Peterman doesn't handle pressure well. This scenario could definitely happen.

I think starting Peterman or McCarron and trading the other was always the right move. It's the natural progression of QBs. You let the vet run their course, however long, and then start the incumbent's era without looking back.

Generally agree but hard to call either a vet.

4 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

This is my point. We don't know how close the Peterman/Allen competition has been. I'm sure Bill O'Brien said "Deshaun is on schedule" and people expected Savage to play at least several games before the switch happened. 

I am rooting for NP. But if he puts up a goose egg in the first half or first game I can't see the Bills sticking with him for long.

The point is not that "Allen is Watson" - it is that NP might be Savage.

Good call on the Texans comparison. I predict it will go much the same way here. Peterman will get demolished the first 2-3 games. Then Allen will arrive. 

As for Savage coming here? Barring injury, no thank you.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We do know.

NP outplayed JA in the preseason using the standard metrics as well as the eye test.

Was watching JA score those passing TDs awesome? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! But, that doesn’t make him ready. He also missed on a bunch and. Loooked. Like he couldn’t get the ball out under pressure, NP looked like he could. Hopefully NP can.

Take out that first Peterman drive in PS game 1 vs the Panthers absolute vanilla D and do you still feel he outplayed him? Cos for me taking that drive out it was about even.

I have speculated on a Savage - Watson style swap out in the shoutbox too. I think the biggest difference between the two situations is Houston were supposed to contend in 2017. They had won back to back division titles people were looking for the next step. The pressure therefore to go to Watson was higher. Doesn't mean it won't happen on Sunday but the chances are slim. 

14 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

People forget, but last year the Texans gave their starting nod to Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson coming out of preseason. Watson was the team's future, had higher upside, was more athletic, but needed seasoning.

Savage got sacked six times in the first half by Jacksonville, got benched, and the Watson era began in the second half of the first game.

Could this happen with Josh Allen this year? I'm not hoping for this scenario, but what happens if Peterman gets sacked four times and throws a pick or two in the first half and the Bills are down a couple scores? We don't know how close a call this was. There is a scenario where Allen plays this week or next.

I expect Daboll to come up with a game plan that works and for Peterman to play effectively. However, my concern with NP is whether or not he is a guy that can play with live bullets. I'm confident that he DID look better than TT in practice last year, hence the Chargers start. Then on the road with poor blocking things got out of hand. 

That O-line is flat-out dangerous... Bad enough that Nate has to line up behind it, but Shady also has to run behind that trash...

Keeping this offense healthy should be be an adventure. -And not in a good way.

Edited by #34fan

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Generally agree but hard to call either a vet.

Yeah, but that's beside the point.

Rookie vs non-rookie.

You let that process run its course in order. Then you'll have no one looking back on Peterman in doubt.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Take out that first Peterman drive in PS game 1 vs the Panthers absolute vanilla D and do you still feel he outplayed him? Cos for me taking that drive out it was about even.

I have speculated on a Savage - Watson style swap out in the shoutbox too. I think the biggest difference between the two situations is Houston were supposed to contend in 2017. They had won back to back division titles people were looking for the next step. The pressure therefore to go to Watson was higher. Doesn't mean it won't happen on Sunday but the chances are slim. 

I thought it was clear in Cincy. Allen struggled and couldn't put up any points. Peterman comes in and scores on his first drive. Regardless of what players were in, the offense just ran smoother.

It was like the difference between Tyrod and EJ when that competition went on.

41 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I thought it was clear in Cincy. Allen struggled and couldn't put up any points. Peterman comes in and scores on his first drive. Regardless of what players were in, the offense just ran smoother.

It was like the difference between Tyrod and EJ when that competition went on.

Peterman played slightly better against worse competition against Cincy (vs 2s as opposed to 1s) and Allen played slightly better against better competition against Cleveland (vs 2s as opposed to 3s).  Personally that drive against Carolina apart I have them dead even.  I was 51/49 in favour of starting Allen. I understand starting Nate but I didn't see a clear separation at all. Just struck me that McDermott was always going to defer to the more experienced guy (be that Nate or AJ) in the event of ties and that is basically what he has done.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:42 PM, Flip Johnson said:

People forget, but last year the Texans gave their starting nod to Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson coming out of preseason. Watson was the team's future, had higher upside, was more athletic, but needed seasoning.

Savage got sacked six times in the first half by Jacksonville, got benched, and the Watson era began in the second half of the first game.

Could this happen with Josh Allen this year? I'm not hoping for this scenario, but what happens if Peterman gets sacked four times and throws a pick or two in the first half and the Bills are down a couple scores? We don't know how close a call this was. There is a scenario where Allen plays this week or next.

I expect Daboll to come up with a game plan that works and for Peterman to play effectively. However, my concern with NP is whether or not he is a guy that can play with live bullets. I'm confident that he DID look better than TT in practice last year, hence the Chargers start. Then on the road with poor blocking things got out of hand. 

Ahem.