Trump Wants To Regulate Google

But will they learn?

FTC votes to approve $5 billion settlement with Facebook in privacy probe

The Federal Trade Commission voted this week to approve a roughly $5 billion settlement with Facebook that could end an investigation into its privacy practices, according to a person familiar with the matter but not authorized to speak on the record, a deal that could result in unprecedented government oversight of the company.

The settlement -- adopted with the FTC’s three Republicans supporting it and two Democrats against it -- could end a wide-ranging probe into Facebook’s mishandling of users’ personal information that began more than a year ago.

The FTC’s $5 billion punishment against Facebook sets a new record as the largest penalty ever assessed against a tech company that broke a past promise to the government to improve its privacy practices. The matter from here rests in the hands of the Justice Department, which typically must finalize FTC settlements, though DOJ rarely has upended them.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Dave Eggers book, "The Circle" becoming more and more true by the day.

I you haven't read it, maybe you should.

I read it and thought it sucked.....badly.......as a book.  I almost stopped reading it 3 or 4 times as I found it trite and highly repetitive.  It was as if he had enough material for a short story and added 90% filler.  The movie was far worse.

With that all said, you are 100% right about the theme.  It was dead on.

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley Demand FTC Investigate Big Tech Firms That Can ‘Sway Elections.’ 

“Never before in this country have so few people controlled so much speech.”

"Sway elections" is the key point here.  If you're arguing that Twitter, Facebook, etc. were used by Russia to sway the 2016 election, then allowing them carte blanche to censor political speech as they see fit is giving them unfettered power to likewise sway elections.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1