What areas of the team has Beane actually improved?

Yeezus

On 8/26/2018 at 11:18 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Preferred" is the wrong word.  I think there is no question that Beane is a more complete GM...he is not depending upon Jim Overdorf to teach him cap management, he has his own ideas and tells Overdorf what he wants.  He is also far more polished and comfortable dealing with the press.

But Whaley did recognize and bring in talent, as witnessed by the fact that so many of the players he drafted are starters or contributors on other NFL teams, including last year's playoff teams.  People like to rag on him, but his downfall really was trying to adapt his roster to 3 different coaching schemes IMHO.

It is yet to be determined if Beane will be as successful in bringing in talent.... Vlad Ducasse, Russ Bodine, Mike Tolbert, Jordan Matthews, and Vonte Davis leave me underwhelmed so far.  He has a clear pattern of wanting to "swing for the fences" with sky-high ceiling/high risk/low floor guys (eg Allen, Edmunds) over "safer" picks.  He's left gimondulous holes on OL and WR in part due to the players he's brought in/drafted not panning out (eg Ducasse, Bodine, Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews). 

We'll see.

Edit: although I'm frightened by the posters with whom I seem to be in agreement.  Yikes!

gimondulous...that's just stupidness.

Oh stop. Everyone was super jazzed with the moves he made. Whether or not they work out isn’t really the point. 

That’s football. On paper they were excellent moves and we were happy with them. We lost our center and an all pro guard, we were bound to take a step back. It’s cliche, but it really is a process. 

We we have a bunch of money to spend in free agency next year, and all of our picks. 

We hopefully have the qb, and mlb of the future. That’s big. 

25 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

i agree  with this. However, he did run off Sammy and Dareus and Ragland and has not replaced them with anyone better. WR, LB, and DL are still Areas of weakness for us.

Winning for a change has been nice though.

Hopefully all this works out.

Really, ran off Sammy? He’s getting paid more that OBJ and is the worst performing reciever on that roster. 

Dareus is lazy, and Ragland didn’t fit in the system. 

Milano looked good last year and we took the best mlb available.

lets not forget it looks like we have Kyles replacement as well. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..your opinion...just askin'....respect makes it all work here.........:thumbsup:

Agreed.  Thanks for the respect.

It is my opinion.  Sammy is good and he still has not been replaced.  Maybe KB, maybe ...

Why is WR a so under valued position at OBD?  The garbage we had here during the Jauron and Gailey days.  I thought we had it figured out a few years ago when we had Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Goodwin, and Hogan.  We were also in the top 3rd in scoring.

But now we're back to schmucks.

meanwhile Atlanta trades up in the 1st round AGAIN (Julio last time)  to take a good WR.  And, they have Matt Ryan ...

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

You would have paid Sammy that kind of money? Wow... that’s all I really need to know about your brand of GM’ing. 

I'm a football fan, not an accounting fan.  I don't understand the salary cap and don't want to.  There is a reason teams have highly paid capologists to manage this as opposed to anonymous people on the internet.

42 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

That’s okay, Whaley wasn’t really concerned with that either. 

Youre in good company. 

Whaley was the only GM we've had in the last 10 years that understood the importance of the WR position.  We should have broke the drought with what he and Buddy assembled in 2015 if Rex could coach defense.  Whaley reportedly didn't want to hire Rex. He wanted to hire Sean McDermott. But Rex brought better wine. :)

On 8/26/2018 at 11:17 PM, Yeezus said:

Whaley made a lot of solid moves, he was unlucky and had to deal with EJ. 

He brought us Richie, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo, Shady. He really tried to improve this team but had no QB and a disaster of a coaching staff that Pegula hired. 

Whaley was good at finding talented individuals  but not good at building a team.

thats my verdict 

On 8/28/2018 at 1:06 PM, reddogblitz said:

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.

Bills made the playoffs. Deal with it.

Biut she doesn't, and she isn't, and they didn't play their way in.  They played their way to a point where another team's actions put the Bills in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Biut she doesn't, and she isn't, and they didn't play their way in.  They played their way to a point where another team's actions put the Bills in the playoffs.

according to the rules put in place by the NFL before the start of the season, we did.

I'm gonna just roll with that.  Put whatever spin on it you wish.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Makes sense. Benjamin and Shady probably take up the majority of that and both may be  gone after the season.(Shady will, not sure about Benjamin)

The offense is going to go through a major overhaul next offseason. Hopefully they are aggressive. 

agreed.  i have to imagine a large portion of the roster reworking will be on the offense.  i could see them still drafting a de in the first round depending on position, but i have to imagine is mostly offense after that.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, Yeezus said:

Whaley made a lot of solid moves, he was unlucky and had to deal with EJ. 

He brought us Richie, Jerry Hughes, Lorenzo, Shady. He really tried to improve this team but had no QB and a disaster of a coaching staff that Pegula hired. 

Whaley made so many stupid moves too.

Bills fans forget that Whaley personally went down to Fla and scouted EJ and he made the choice on him. Then attempted to build around a bad choice at QB. Two firsts and a fourth for a WR when the team didn't have a solid franchise QB.  Whaley signed OG Chris Williams for 13.5 mill, 5.5 guaranteed money for a player that lasted 3 games. Anyone remember WR Mke Williams, OG Sam Young, OG Doug Legursky? 

Incognito and Tyrod Taylor were Rex Ryan's guys as he vouched for Richie and he wanted Taylor signed. Whaley had his chance with Richie the year before to sign him and didn't. Jerry Hughes move was a mistake of that imbecile GM of the Colts who wanted to foolishly rid the team of Bill Polians last 1st round draft pick as he called Whaley to start the negotiations. Same with McCoy as Chip Kelly wanted him off the team and called Whaley to start negotiations. Allowing WR Chis Hogan to leave to NE.

Whaley also got this team into cap hell and helped make the wrong choices on head coaches. The biggest knock on the guy is how many of his draft picks are still with the team today? The 2017 draft doesn't count as most are pretty sure McD made those choices.

Both Whaley and the entire scouting dept were fired after the 2017 draft. There is a real reason as to why Whaley is currently not an NFL GM.

"It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

*Anyway, I think that Beane, McD has the ship headed in the right direction. Just want to see that offensive line rebuilt with some quality talent. 

Edited by Nihilarian