John McCain Discontinuing Medical Treatment

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Scots waited until maybe half the English force had crossed the bridge then basically drove them into the river.  The Scots were actually pretty organized and divided into Schiltrons, circular pike formations.  Except for William Wallace who was just running around mooning people and chopping them in half.  It was f@#$ing crazy.

The dishonorable Scots wouldn't let the numerically superior British cross the bridge, get into proper formation, and kick the Scots around! Just shameful. Shameful.

• Haha (+1) 1

I haven't read any of this thread but I just need to get it out.

Am I really supposed to take seriously the mewlings of limp-wristed NPR commentators praising McCain's service to our nation now that he's dead?  The insincerity is just plain creepy.  These people hated McCain until Trump was elected, and even then they only liked Johnny boy so long as he served as a foil to Trump.  This is the stuff of ghouls.

And yes, that goes for you leftists in here too.  Go !@#$ yourselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/5/2018 at 7:11 PM, DC Tom said:

Historical accuracy, in movies?  :lol:

Outside of Das Boot, there isn't any.  Hell, I found five historical errors in the TRAILER for Dunkirk.

The History Channel doesn't even have historical accuracy.  Never mind movies...

....Das Boot was amazing. I !@#$ing loved that movie. 

Ive heard there’s a really good movie on Stalingrad (not Enemy at the Gates). A Russian flick made in the 90’s. I haven’t seen it. 

Dunkirk was awful. Tom Hardy shoots down the Luftwaffe and they didn’t even explain the situation. They didn’t explain what happened at Calais. They didn’t explain how the BEF got cut off. I was so disapointed in that movie. They didn’t even get to the halt order. And then there was the other abomination in which Gary Oldman did a great disservice to Churchill. Awful movies. 

7 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

....Das Boot was amazing. I !@#$ing loved that movie. 

Ive heard there’s a really good movie on Stalingrad (not Enemy at the Gates). A Russian flick made in the 90’s. I haven’t seen it. 

Seen it.  It's from the German small-unit perspective; it's not bad, probably better than Enemy at the Gates (though the scene in that movie of crossing the Volga and being thrown directly into a human wave attack blows away anything in the German movie.) . Netflix used to have it, I don't know if it still does...worth watching if you can find it, but I wouldn't go out of your way.

10 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Dunkirk was awful. Tom Hardy shoots down the Luftwaffe and they didn’t even explain the situation. They didn’t explain what happened at Calais. They didn’t explain how the BEF got cut off. I was so disapointed in that movie. They didn’t even get to the halt order. And then there was the other abomination in which Gary Oldman did a great disservice to Churchill. Awful movies. 

Dunkirk was an excellent movie, for what it was and what it intended to do, which was to tell three different but related stories (blending three different time scales, which was brilliantly done - Nolan is a master craftsman at moviemaking) to convey the overall "gestalt" of the evacuation.  You're basically saying it was awful because you wanted to see Patton or A Bridge Too Far or We Were Soldiers.

That's not a flaw in the movie.  That's a flaw in the chuckleheaded moviegoer.

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Seen it.  It's from the German small-unit perspective; it's not bad, probably better than Enemy at the Gates (though the scene in that movie of crossing the Volga and being thrown directly into a human wave attack blows away anything in the German movie.) . Netflix used to have it, I don't know if it still does...worth watching if you can find it, but I wouldn't go out of your way.

Dunkirk was an excellent movie, for what it was and what it intended to do, which was to tell three different but related stories (blending three different time scales, which was brilliantly done - Nolan is a master craftsman at moviemaking) to convey the overall "gestalt" of the evacuation.  You're basically saying it was awful because you wanted to see Patton or A Bridge Too Far or We Were Soldiers.

That's not a flaw in the movie.  That's a flaw in the chuckleheaded moviegoer.

I wanted Dunkirk to explain the situation. It didn’t. And how many planes did Tom Hardy shoot down? 50? Also, as a francophobe I wanted Dunkirk to put the French High Command on blast for being so stupid. How is one country so consistently stupid and arrogant. I mean they built the Maginot and when war broke out they refused to believe Germany would do anything but launch itself at their defenses on the Maginot. God, I hate the French. And WWI, don’t even get me started on them bastards for their idiocy in WWI. And I’m just glad I don’t know much about the Franco Prussian war because I just can’t take the stupidity of the French. From the 1770’s-present, that country is just amazingly arrogant for being such spectacular failures. 

This has been bugging me all day...Band if Brothers is the gold standard of historical accuracy. It was a show. The Last Kingdom is true to Aethelered. I honestly thought they’d take out the witch saving his baby in the marsh because who’d buy that really happened? That was a show. I’ve seen numerous shows done very well. HBO’s Rome — that was amazing. There’s a scene that I thought was awesome due to the detail — there’s a scene were Mark Antony is having a slave scrape him with a weegee type deal and olive oil. That’s how they cleaned themselves — the baths were for swimming, socializing, excercize, and general leisure — weegee and olive oil was how they’d get dirt off themselves. There’s even a scene in a public shitter and the shitter is on point. Shows get so much right but movies suck balls in terms of accuracy. In fact, as crazy as it sounds, 300 is accurate for a movie. I mean, more so than others. 

Edited by The_Dude

On 9/5/2018 at 6:04 PM, The_Dude said:

The movie...is good...but when you realize they got EVERYTHING wrong out of stubborn, willful ignorance it’s frustrating. They could have made a movie just as good had they not altered the customs or facts. And I hate that Edward I (Longshanks) looks like a douche. He wasn’t a bad guy. I don’t remember much about studying him, but what I remember is that I was like ‘whoa, Braveheart got this ALL wrong.’ Point is there was never a need to detour. Real history is as strange as fiction. History is as twisty-turny as a George RR Martin novel. Btw, I LOVE GRRM, but he’s a lot less creative when you can be like ‘Greek Fire.’ He took that from this. Nonetheless the man is a genuis and he really shows how bad Tolkien sucked. Boring ass Hobbits. 

Yeah but no one was better than Patrick McGoohan at playing a bad guy.