Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 16 8:45 AM at SJF - Final Session Before Team Heads Back to OBD

3 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Several reasons. It's not about this year with Josh, it's about the long term.

I don't wonder if he's ready, I'm fairly sure he's not. I think he can gain something being a pro for a year and getting to know the offense before starting.

Also, by starting AJM/NP obviously we could suck. This is not really bad... Get a high pick for skill players on offense. If the starting QB plays great and we do well, even better and maybe we are in a position like KC was with Smith, and could get something of value.

Seems to me that 2 years from now, these moves would leave us in a better position, and I want to set up a "window" so they say, of relevance. We aren't going to the SB (or probably the playoffs) this year, so we should plan everything around being good in the next couple years and being able to keep that window open as long as possible.

i think most people would agree that Allen should start IF he Is the clear winner, but they've only played one preseason game so far. I won't be surprised if he has a stinker in one of the next two games--it's the nature of the position. If that happens, maybe the "start Allen no matter what" crowd will tone it down a bit, maybe.....

3 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Do we really think either AJ or Peterman will have a better shot at beating the Ravens' ferocious D than Josh Allen??

I sure as hell don't.

How did Peterman look against Carolina's ferocious D? The ball was coming out in 1.9 seconds. Hell  yeah they give us a better chance.

Edited by Wagon Circler

8 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

How did Peterman look against Carolina's ferocious D? The ball was coming out in 1.9 seconds. Hell  yeah they give us a better chance.

You mean the basic defense Carolina was playing? That ferocious defense?

Dion Dawkins: "You have to always be on your top game" (10:48)

Bills OT Dion Dawkins talked about entering his second year, the team's QB competition, and his mindset and mentality in playing in the NFL.

Allen: "Gotta Trust the Process" (3:15)

QB Josh Allen talks about taking advantage of opportunity, working with all three offensive units and more.

McCarron: "I Feel Great About It" (4:33)

QB A.J. McCarron talks about his efforts during training camp, his chemistry with the wide receivers and more.

Peterman: "That's What Training Camp is For" (2:16)

QB Nathan Peterman talks about his progression throughout training camp.

10 hours ago, Commonsense said:

A few position battles left and some depth spots still up for grabs but only one question really matters for this week. Is there a path for Allen to start week 1 or not? If he plays well and the other 2 guys struggle would McD have him start game the next preseason game? 

I feel like the answer is no, I want it to happen. IMO they are brining him along slowly and Allen starting week 1 isn’t in their plans. 

This.

its all that’s left for this preseason. He’s made significant progress since his Senior year ended, but with his non-stop schedule since that time, there’s still so much he doesn’t know/hasn’t experienced. Like Gameweek preparation. How the season plays out regarding days off/Bye week’s/ TNF etc. It’s all different from the brand new terrain he’s grown somewhat comfortable with for the last month of a whirlwind 7 months that may not be duplicated again. Sure, he’s young. But significant change every month is tough on everybody.

i agree. I want to see him start early this year. But maybe not week one on the road. A couple weeks of Home & Away Games and corresponding protocol will aid in his awareness of the process and allow him to concentrate on the upcoming opponents schemes and strategy.

This said, I’ll be pissed if they don’t play him for much of the season. The real education comes from Hard Knocks.

1 hour ago, Wagon Circler said:

9 out of 10 dude. Not 9 out of 19 vs 3rd stringers.

Unlike Peterman, the Panthers actually dialed up some pressure against Allen.  Peterman faced a basic defense coverage wise.  The pitch and catch by Benji with no help over the top vs our former CB was nice, but I wouldn't buy anything in Vegas regarding Peterman just yet.

I'm not in the camp of starting him week 1.  This is lest based on Josh Allen - and more based on Peterman/AJM.  As much as I don't think either of them is a long-term legit starter in this league - they are more prepared than he is for now and he will learn a "lot" watching the game for some period of time.

That said, I hate to see other teams with rookies starting them.  They should start Bridgewater in NY, they won't.  So it just reinforces in some people's heads (fans/media/opponents) that Josh is less prepared.

I think Allen is prepared enough to struggle through as a starter beginning in week 1.  I just think if we have him not start for a while - that does not hinder his development greatly.  He'll start when he starts and I'm OK with that.  I also want to be damn sure that the o-line is not porous enough that he'd be constantly running for his life.  I don't want him to develop bad habits.  If there was an over/under on his # of starts in 2018 - I think I'd say he starts at least 6 games and maybe at most 12.  I just don't think McD is willing to throw him to the wolves like the Jets are going to do.  It'd be great if he could get some garbage time experience - but I highly doubt that's going to happen.

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Unlike Peterman, the Panthers actually dialed up some pressure against Allen.  Peterman faced a basic defense coverage wise.  The pitch and catch by Benji with no help over the top vs our former CB was nice, but I wouldn't buy anything in Vegas regarding Peterman just yet.

Yeah - imho 1st string defense in the Preseason is a bunch of vets and strong rookies just avoiding injury.  The 2nd string guys are hoping to make enough plays to maybe get a starting role.  The 3rd string guys are trying everything possible to make plays so they can make the 53.  They bust their asses.

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

It would look different for Peterman if he didn't have those quick passes. You miss the play Peterman avoided pressure and got the ball to KB on the sideline? 

1 hour ago, MTBill said:

That said, I hate to see other teams with rookies starting them.  They should start Bridgewater in NY, they won't.  So it just reinforces in some people's heads (fans/media/opponents) that Josh is less prepared.

This may be bad karma as my first post, but the Schadenfreude desire is strong:

how does the Jets O-line look, and what are the chances of Darnold getting eaten alive? ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dion Dawkins: "You have to always be on your top game" (10:48)

Bills OT Dion Dawkins talked about entering his second year, the team's QB competition, and his mindset and mentality in playing in the NFL.

Allen: "Gotta Trust the Process" (3:15)

QB Josh Allen talks about taking advantage of opportunity, working with all three offensive units and more.

McCarron: "I Feel Great About It" (4:33)

QB A.J. McCarron talks about his efforts during training camp, his chemistry with the wide receivers and more.

Peterman: "That's What Training Camp is For" (2:16)

QB Nathan Peterman talks about his progression throughout training camp.

CB26, Yolo--thanks to you both for tracking the news and interviews for TBD.  You both are awesome.

Dawkins has a learning disability.  The interview with him, Murph and Taker is really good.  I never knew about the learning disability until the interview.  Makes me respect him even more.  A really great young man who I am proud plays for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3