Will the President Ever Shut Up About Kneeling in the NFL?

donbb

They are protesting what they perceive as unfair treatment by the police against those of color who don't make stupid amounts of money.  Let's get the facts straight.

I stand and would prefer the players do as well.  But I know enough military guys who tell me they fought for them to have the right to protest to know there is no universal feeling on this.  The owners and the league need to work out a position that works for all.    

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They are protesting what they perceive as unfair treatment by the police against those of color who don't make stupid amounts of money.  Let's get the facts straight.

I stand and would prefer the players do as well.  But I know enough military guys who tell me they fought for them to have the right to protest to know there is no universal feeling on this.  The owners and the league need to work out a position that works for all.    

The problem is that the country is so divided right now that there is no position that works out for everyone.

44 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Wasn't the league dropping $90m as part of a position that works for all? And didn't the league suggest standing when on the field, or staying off the field while the anthem was playing?  Seems to me the only solution that works for the protestors is to let them do what they want, when and how they want no forbthe teams to deal with it. That puts the ownership group at odds with some of its fan base. 

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Wasn't the league dropping $90m as part of a position that works for all? And didn't the league suggest standing when on the field, or staying off the field while the anthem was playing?  Seems to me the only solution that works for the protestors is to let them do what they want, when and how they want no forbthe teams to deal with it. That puts the ownership group at odds with some of its fan base. 

Seems to me the best solution is to have the players come out of the locker room after the anthem is played.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Seems to me the best solution is to have the players come out of the locker room after the anthem is played.

And if that solved the problem for the team, what was the point of the protests?  I have always thought the NFL was weak on letting this get out of hand, and figure a protest at work, in a secured area sponsored by Orange Julius in front of a captive audience was...whatever. 

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

And if that solved the problem for the team, what was the point of the protests?  I have always thought the NFL was weak on letting this get out of hand, and figure a protest at work, in a secured area sponsored by Orange Julius in front of a captive audience was...whatever. 

Protests take place in as public an area as one can find to draw attention.  For these players it is on the field, but it affects the owners' business, and as private business owners they have the right to set rules.  They want to be sensitive to the concerns of both their players and their customers.

If I'm the owners I simply don't have teams come out until after the anthem, but also give players time before or after games to meet with reporters about their social concerns.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Protests take place in as public an area as one can find to draw attention.  For these players it is on the field, but it affects the owners' business, and as private business owners they have the right to set rules.  They want to be sensitive to the concerns of both their players and their customers.

If I'm the owners I simply don't have teams come out until after the anthem, but also give players time before or after games to meet with reporters about their social concerns.  

Agree 100% with the first paragraph. The owners lose any way you cut it with someone.  As I said, they pledged $90m to social causes and still manage to look like the bad guys here.  Under your suggestion, which seems like a very logical response to the business side of the concern, I predict outrage by those who see the NFL ownership group as stifling the right to individuals to kneel where and when they want (especially at work).  

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Agree 100% with the first paragraph. The owners lose any way you cut it with someone.  As I said, they pledged $90m to social causes and still manage to look like the bad guys here.  Under your suggestion, which seems like a very logical response to the business side of the concern, I predict outrage by those who see the NFL ownership group as stifling the right to individuals to kneel where and when they want (especially at work).  

I don't see a perfect solution

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Horseshit. The players have sold their souls to the devil which is the NFL. They're getting paid big money to play the game and that's what they should do. If they want to protest, do it out of their uniforms and away from their team.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Horseshit. The players have sold their souls to the devil which is the NFL. They're getting paid big money to play the game and that's what they should do. If they want to protest, do it out of their uniforms and away from their team.

Has nothing to do with money they make.  We all have the right to voice our opinions or protest regardless of economic status.  Unless you don't believe in the constitution. But the owners have the right to control it in their private business.

complicated issues deserve more consideration than simplistic knee jerk reactions

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Has nothing to do with money they make.  We all have the right to voice our opinions or protest regardless of economic status.  Unless you don't believe in the constitution. But the owners have the right to control it in their private business.

complicated issues deserve more consideration than simplistic knee jerk reactions

Not on company time, we don't.  

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Then they need to do some research because cops shoot twice as many white people than they do blacks just about every year.

And that's why I said the whole thing has been built on lies by a media that's pretty much 95% far left leaning. They never cover it when a white person is shot. 

Edited by suorangefan4

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My comments were not a knee jerk reaction. I've given this subject some thought and it comes down to the fact that when those players are in the stadium, on the practice field or in uniform, etc. they are representing their team. It is bad business for the players to be political just as it would be bad business for a salesman to go around wearing a MAGA or Antifa hat.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Trump has said that he would talk with these players and listen to their grievances.

The NFL lost 10 % of their viewership over this.

You would think that they would find another platform to do this. And there are plenty.

We fans don’t want politics injected into our love of the NFL. The players need to understand this and just stand for two freaking minutes to honor a country that offers you the privilege of earing wonderful money.

This needs to end.......... NOW.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:09 AM, Tiberius said:

The players are winning. Trump just sounds like an idiot. Well, more of an idiot than usual. 

Honestly, this whole issue is much ado, IMO. That said, Trump is not going to come out looking stupid for standing up for our country against the spoiled & ignorant

• Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting how the owners and players assoc. deal with this before the season starts. 

I think the players have already made their point, time to get back to standing to avoid this controversy .

Let the media focus on any injustice, that's part of their job.

Edited by ALF