Retirement: Where to Get the Best Bang For Your Buck in the USA

T&C

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

People love to B word about taxes in WNY, but you can buy a house there at a massive discount relative to most of the rest of the country.

That's a huge factor in considering cost of living.

Also, life isn't about how many nickels and dimes you saved this month, especially if you are retired and closer to the end of the ride.  Go where there is stuff to do or a place that meets your interests/lifestyle and keeps life fun and interesting.

I'd go out of my mind living in the Dakotas, regardless of how great it is for retirees according to some study. 

I am the exact same way. I want friends where I retire, and not old fogeys. We will retire to DC, Richmond and Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Spend a summer in the lowlands of SC and then tell me you want to live there full time.  i hunt that area near Barnwell (or I used to, college tuition for my daughter nixed hunting season this year).  It's hot, ungodly hot until November.    Savannah is a nice place to visit I hear, but SC isn't some place I'd seriously think of retiring to.    NC/TN would be better options IMO.  

I get it, but Chapin is inland towards Columbia, not down in the lowlands. A few years ago we were there and we actually woke up to snow on november 1. They have a milder winter, but away from the lake it can get hot in the summer, but the November-April/May stretch is where I want to spend time there. 

Just now, Guffalo said:

I get it, but Chapin is inland towards Columbia, not down in the lowlands. A few years ago we were there and we actually woke up to snow on november 1. They have a milder winter, but away from the lake it can get hot in the summer, but the November-April/May stretch is where I want to spend time there. 

I hadn't been close to the lake like that you might get a better breeze.   Looks like a little more up into the foothills too than where I hunt.  

You know 2 years ago they found an Elk in someones back yard in SC for the first time in over 200 years.   Probably the fires up in TN/NC drove him down but still it was cool to see the pictures. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I love South Dakota. We've often thought about moving there. It is a beautiful, no income tax state. The winters though...we'd have to buy another Florida condo.

You ditch Florida and buy a condo/townhouse in.Arizona.

Bang for the buck is fine BUT, make sure you locate somewhere that has good specialized medical care.  Nobody's getting any younger, and we will all need something sooner or later.

My wife & I "retired" in Seattle because that's where we were last working.   Couldn't afford Seattle, and were tired of all the left coast BS, so we moved to Williamsburg VA.  Williamsburg is a fine place but if you get seriously ill, you're going to Richmond of Norfolk for specialized medical of care.  It's no fun to have to drive an hour plus, when you're not feeling well.

Along the was we lived in Texas and Washington.  Neither have state income tax but they have so many other ways to get you that it pretty much evens itself out. If I drive I-95 S from Richmond, I always try to fuel thru NC because of their gasoline tax. PA is the same!

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Step 2:  the unionized trash collector takes his full pension at 55

Step 3:  because of NYS taxes (funding his pension), he moves to a low-tax state

Step 4:  he mindlessly votes for the pro-union candidates in his new state as he's done all his life, necessitating tax hikes there and turning that state into the next NYS. 

And thus the virus is spread.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Let's not sugar coat anything...organized crime is still alive and well in NYS and they are connected at the hip with many of the unions.The "mob" owns Niagara Falls and that's just one example...

50 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am the exact same way. I want friends where I retire, and not old fogeys. We will retire to DC, Richmond and Buffalo. 

Agree with this but will also add something that perhaps some people do not carefully consider when selecting a retirement location: medical/health care, transportation, and an advocate (family member) present. I have in-laws who we had to move near us because there was no one to care for them when they chose to retire in the boondocks. They can no longer drive and require transport. They require some nursing aide periodically. Fortunately, they have plenty of $ but still amazing how quickly it can get spent for health care. 

You live far away and may not be close to medical doctors or dentists, hospital, etc. Plus, they may not be as well-qualified or experienced as you would like or need. If your family is not nearby, who will function as your advocate in dealing or questioning Medicaid, Drs., secondary health insurance, etc? 

If you have a car accident when 65+, good luck affording the insurance if you can get it. This will impact your independence. Perhaps living somewhere that allows you to walk to places is something to consider.

I don’t mean to be the harbinger of bad news but am experiencing the reality of it and trying to do the best for my in-laws. 

People are going to continue to live longer but probably not in optimal shape. 

Live long and enjoy but think of the future and impact your decision, location, and situation may have on your family.

Learning firsthand how to prepare for retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I love South Dakota. We've often thought about moving there. It is a beautiful, no income tax state. The winters though...we'd have to buy another Florida condo.

Did you mean a no state tax state? 

What you said is still another possibility, the snow bird thing. We have a condo in Tampa... her niece stays in it for now, and a house on 1/2 an acre 20 minutes east of there. I have thought a lot about this too, I Really want to get back to WNY but I don't want to pay the crazy taxes NYS imposes on everyone.

I appreciate everyone's input, a lot of us will be trying to figure out the same thing at some point in time... not all, but quite a few. 

Oh, and no to Arizona lol... don't need 107 kind of heat.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

What you said is still another possibility, the snow bird thing. We have a condo in Tampa... her niece stays in it for now, and a house on 1/2 an acre 20 minutes east of there. I have thought a lot about this too, I Really want to get back to WNY but I don't want to pay the crazy taxes NYS imposes on everyone.

I appreciate everyone's input, a lot of us will be trying to figure out the same thing at some point in time... not all, but quite a few. 

Lakeland?   Or Plant City?   

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Lakeland?   Or Plant City?   

I used to have a house on 3 acres in Plant City... loved it but it was too far from work after awhile. Now in the Brandon/Riverview area. You probably live an hour away.

Just now, T&C said:

I used to have a house on 3 acres in Plant City... loved it but it was too far from work after awhile. Now in the Brandon/Riverview area. You probably live an hour away.

more I think.   Highway 33 is an absolute tragedy anymore I don't get down there very often.   Just when I go to St Petersburg to fish.   taking next Thursday/Friday off, i might head down Friday to try my luck at the Skyway again 

20 minutes ago, T&C said:

Before you make a decision check into West Virginia..it's beautiful..low taxation and the weather is never extreme in anyway. My bride loves it there...also,a place like Morgantown is only a 5 hour drive to the Buffalo /burbs area.

• Like (+1) 1

Not really interested in the bang for the buck, but instead a place I could enjoy living or spending time. We're still probably keeping our house here in California, but I can't seem to find that ideal other location. Arizona? South Carolina (coastal)? It pretty much depends on where the kids end up. If one comes back to California or stays back east? That's a huge factor. I've been to Florida enough to scratch it off the list. Snow - No! It is tough though, thinking of a big upheaval where you leave friends and family....that's why I'm thinking of a second home somewhere else. Somewhere we can go and hang out for a while, but always come back "home" to get that family / friend fix...and gather up more wine to take w/ me when we're away 

15 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

more I think.   Highway 33 is an absolute tragedy anymore I don't get down there very often.   Just when I go to St Petersburg to fish.   taking next Thursday/Friday off, i might head down Friday to try my luck at the Skyway again 

My sister lived in Parrish,worked at Manatee Hospital.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

My sister lived in Parrish,worked at Manatee Hospital.

We used to launch out of Ruskin right by there a few years ago.  Back before the vehicles were getting broken into on a regular basis.   

I'd second Delaware as a state to investigate.  Has more pros than cons.  

As a Pennsylvania resident, there is absolutely no good reason to retire to Pennsylvania unless you're escaping New Jersey's pension taxes.  

PA is a poorly managed state where the combination of decades of disinvestment and poor demographic trends are eating it alive.      It's a shame because it's generally calm weather/nature wise.

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

PA is the same!

Are you nuts? PA gas tax is if not THE highest in the country, one of them.

16 minutes ago, dpberr said:

As a Pennsylvania resident, there is absolutely no good reason to retire to Pennsylvania unless you're escaping New Jersey's pension taxes.  

PA is a poorly managed state where the combination of decades of disinvestment and poor demographic trends are eating it alive.      It's a shame because it's generally calm weather/nature wise.

Fun fact, I pay half as much income tax in NJ as I did in PA.

Another fun fact, my gas taxes are lower here than there.

23 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The only downside of Delaware is having to live in Delaware. Unless you’re at the shore, it’s a pretty lousy place to live. Yes low taxes but who’d want to live there?

Poor schools, limited to no public transport, no walkable life cities (important in retirement), no culture, no forest, limited nature. It’s a bit of a sad state. Plenty of corporate and lawyer transplants but even that is fading as it’s dominance fades. 

Edited by BeginnersMind