Retirement: Where to Get the Best Bang For Your Buck in the USA

T&C

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The only downside of Delaware is having to live in Delaware. Unless you’re at the shore, it’s a pretty lousy place to live. Yes low taxes but who’d want to live there?

Poor schools, limited to no public transport, no walkable life cities (important in retirement), no culture, no forest, limited nature. It’s a bit of a sad state. Plenty of corporate and lawyer transplants but even that is fading as it’s dominance fades. 

If you're a senior citizen, do you REALLY care about walkable life cities and schools?

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Let's not sugar coat anything...organized crime is still alive and well in NYS and they are connected at the hip with many of the unions.The "mob" owns Niagara Falls and that's just one example...

Public labor unions are already the definition of organized crime.  Any involvement from old school Italian families is just a duplication of efforts.

3 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Not really interested in the bang for the buck, but instead a place I could enjoy living or spending time. We're still probably keeping our house here in California, but I can't seem to find that ideal other location. Arizona? South Carolina (coastal)? It pretty much depends on where the kids end up. If one comes back to California or stays back east? That's a huge factor. I've been to Florida enough to scratch it off the list. Snow - No! It is tough though, thinking of a big upheaval where you leave friends and family....that's why I'm thinking of a second home somewhere else. Somewhere we can go and hang out for a while, but always come back "home" to get that family / friend fix...and gather up more wine to take w/ me when we're away 

You're already in the sweet spot!   I'm hoping to end up with summers on the Cape and the rest in our neck of the woods, but some dollars still to be made to lock that down.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, KD in CA said:

You're already in the sweet spot!   I'm hoping to end up with summers on the Cape and the rest in our neck of the woods, but some dollars still to be made to lock that down.

My plan? Retire on acreage so I never have to deal with a neighbor again, and with the rest of humanity as sparingly as possible.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Are you nuts? PA gas tax is if not THE highest in the country, one of them.

Fun fact, I pay half as much income tax in NJ as I did in PA.

Another fun fact, my gas taxes are lower here than there.

Different strokes!  Virginia does not tax Social Security on income tax.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm outta jersey as soon as possible. Need to get away from the Philadelphia area. Been here for far too long.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This right here is a Major consideration. 

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

If you're a senior citizen, do you REALLY care about walkable life cities and schools?

Even more so than now. Will absolutely always have a very urban place , or I will be on the wrong side of the dirt. 

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

My plan? Retire on acreage so I never have to deal with a neighbor again, and with the rest of humanity as sparingly as possible.

Hense our different political positions LOL! Need you to come hang out for a weekend in DC and come to the Bukom

Cafe with me. You will want to move DC the end of the night!

17 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

The only downside of Delaware is having to live in Delaware. Unless you’re at the shore, it’s a pretty lousy place to live. Yes low taxes but who’d want to live there?

Poor schools, limited to no public transport, no walkable life cities (important in retirement), no culture, no forest, limited nature. It’s a bit of a sad state. Plenty of corporate and lawyer transplants but even that is fading as it’s dominance fades. 

Well what do most retirees want?  My in-laws live in Eastern Shore Maryland, which is exactly like Delaware south of I-95. They love it. Not looking for night clubs or the opera. Just a place to shop, a place for their boat and not having to shovel snow.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well what do most retirees want?  My in-laws live in Eastern Shore Maryland, which is exactly like Delaware south of I-95. They love it. Not looking for night clubs or the opera. Just a place to shop, a place for their boat and not having to shovel snow.

DE shore is nice. 

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I lived on the Eastern Shore (between St. Michael's and Oxford) and I loved it there. Well, other than the summers. ;)

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

DE shore is nice. 

It is, but the problems there are similar to most beach areas:

-significantly less appealing if you aren’t walking distance to the water, which is cost prohibitive almost everywhere now

-tourists overwhelm your community for a portion of the year

On 7/31/2018 at 8:14 AM, KD in CA said:

Step 2:  the unionized trash collector takes his full pension at 55

Step 3:  because of NYS taxes (funding his pension), he moves to a low-tax state

Step 4:  he mindlessly votes for the pro-union candidates in his new state as he's done all his life, necessitating tax hikes there and turning that state into the next NYS. 

And thus the virus is spread.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Keep politics out of forum and this is political since it aligns with your other posts.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It is, but the problems there are similar to most beach areas:

-significantly less appealing if you aren’t walking distance to the water, which is cost prohibitive almost everywhere now

-tourists overwhelm your community for a portion of the year

Yes. I have friends who live in a shore town. There are some upsides too. You get disproportionately great infrastructure for the number of people 10 months of the year. 

N C  Mountains are nice. I bought a house up there before I retired 4 years ago. Waiting on the wife to retire to make the move. Been in Florida past 30+yrs. Land and houses still reasonable.  You get all 4 seasons, mild winters,  close to major areas like Atlanta and Charlotte.  Plenty of stuff to see and do.