ESPN 7/27

Was watching Golic and Wingo this morning and the substitutes were doing their predictions for the year and I just wonder if do they just look at stats or do you think they actually watch the games. I thought this yesterday when they were gushing about Tyrod. Now I believe the Bills may take a step back as Beane and McDermott make the team more in what they envision but seeing what they did last year I thought they should get props....

Go Bills!

• Haha (+1) 1

I heard the three predict the Bills as being the worst in the AFC East, the the lady, Mines? said something to the effect Bills might not win a game and was talking about Allen sailing some easy passes, cleary see isnt a fan.   Also said Allen of all the new QBs has the worst situation to try and succeed with bad OL, WRs, and TE.

Also said the Pats had the easiest schedule last year and probability have the easiest schedule again this year. 

I was never a Tyrod fan but he was a solid game manager.  He doesn’t put you over the top but he doesn’t lose you games.  It was tome to move on but it’s not hard to see why national people think we might regress without him.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I heard the three predict the Bills as being the worst in the AFC East, the the lady, Mines? said something to the effect Bills might not win a game and was talking about Allen sailing some easy passes, cleary see isnt a fan.   Also said Allen of all the new QBs has the worst situation to try and succeed with bad OL, WRs, and TE.

Also said the Pats had the easiest schedule last year and probability have the easiest schedule again this year. 

Did she say we won’t win a game?  Because it’s hard to disagree with the rest.

• Like (+1) 1

The National Media has such a weird idea of what Tyrod Taylor is.  One would think that after the Nationally Televised Playoff Game at Jacksonville, they would see what we’ve seen for years, but apparently not.  

AJ McCarron is basically a less mobile/better passing Tyrod Taylor aka “Game Manager”.  

If we start the season with AJ, here’s what I see:

- New OC

- New Game Manager at QB

- Potentially weaker OL

- Potentially stronger RB unit

- Similar Receivers

- Potentially stronger DL

- Potentially stronger LB unit

- Similar Secondary

If we start the season with Allen, all bets are off as that’s a high risk/high reward play (speaking in terms of this season only)

If talking heads want to doom us because they think our schedule is tough.  Ok, I get it.  We didn’t get worse though - On paper, I believe the 18/19 squad is much more talented than the 17/18 version.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was never a Tyrod fan but he was a solid game manager.  He doesn’t put you over the top but he doesn’t lose you games.  It was tome to move on but it’s not hard to see why national people think we might regress without him.

I dont have the exact quote but it was not that they won't, it that they might not win a game or at least that is what i recall and not sure if it was here or a Golic saying it, thay all agreed the Bills would suck.

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We had the 31st ranked passing attack. I highly doubt we're going to "regress" at that position.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The National Media has such a weird idea of what Tyrod Taylor is.  One would think that after the Nationally Televised Playoff Game at Jacksonville, they would see what we’ve seen for years, but apparently not.  

AJ McCarron is basically a less mobile/better passing Tyrod Taylor aka “Game Manager”.  

If we start the season with AJ, here’s what I see:

- New OC

- New Game Manager at QB

- Potentially weaker OL

- Potentially stronger RB unit

- Similar Receivers

- Potentially stronger DL

- Potentially stronger LB unit

- Similar Secondary

If we start the season with Allen, all bets are off as that’s a high risk/high reward play (speaking in terms of this season only)

If talking heads want to doom us because they think are schedule is tough.  Ok, I get it.  We didn’t get worse though.  On paper, I believe the 18/19 squad is much more talented than the 17/18 version.  

I certainly don't know, but I do know change can equal worse. Remember thinking "we were 4th in the league on defense and brought in defense guru Rex, we can't be worse"...

Treat it like a whole new team in a whole new year. Rollover from last season only happens to stable teams with continuity throughout the team. New QB, OL, OC, and LB does not equal continuity.

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

We had the 31st ranked passing attack. I highly doubt we're going to "regress" at that position.

I think it's highly likely whoever plays QB for us (or the combination) will throw for more yards, plausably for more TD's as well..

The thought of us regressing comes from the likely influx of a different number: INT's. 

Hopefully somebody lights it up and that is not a problem, but the added yards, TOP, and TD's need to be enough to effectively counterbalance the probable INT swell.

1 minute ago, Shotgunner said:

I certainly don't know, but I do know change can equal worse. Remember thinking "we were 4th in the league on defense and brought in defense guru Rex, we can't be worse"...

Treat it like a whole new team in a whole new year. Rollover from last season only happens to stable teams with continuity throughout the team. New QB, OL, OC, and LB does not equal continuity.

I think it's highly likely whoever plays QB for us (or the combination) will throw for more yards, plausably for more TD's as well..

The thought of us regressing comes from the likely influx of a different number: INT's. 

Hopefully somebody lights it up and that is not a problem, but the added yards, TOP, and TD's need to be enough to effectively counterbalance the probable INT swell.

Agreed.  I’m not saying we will have a better record, I legitimately don’t know, but we are more talented.  

Change could mean worse..

OR

Change could involve Daboll being an innovative Sean McVay-type, with better QB play from AJ or Josh, with a better 1-2 punch at RB and a healthy KB and Zay in the fold at WR, all supported by a Top 10 Defense.  

On paper, we’re more talented, with lots of change and a tough 1st half schedule.  That’s what I believe to be true, in my humble opinion.  What that means record-wise, I don’t know.  

35 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

well, any schedule is easy when you’re the Patriots

36 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

All of that is true i believe..from all accounts he did sail some easy as pie throws yesterday, his line is in major flux, weapons are limited, new  coordinater, not a true accomplished vet in the room to guide him....

I think she sid something to the effect will struggle to win more than a few, but it was on in the background and I may have it wrong.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

All of that is true i believe..from all accounts he did sail some easy as pie throws yesterday, his line is in major flux, weapons are limited, new  coordinater, not a true accomplished vet in the room to guide him....

I think she sid something to the effect will struggle to win more than a few, but it was on in the background and I may have it wrong.

Yeah I think you are more accurate, i think that is what she said

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Well, considering that's what I thought we should have done LAST year, I'd be ok with it...especially if it meant getting some really legitimate offensive weapons into the fold for '19.

i am too...but can already see the tanking fights unfolding on here if the Bills start 2-6or 1-7....lots o winnable games second half...eiy yi yi

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not throwing the ball for more than 70 yards in an entire football game absolutely loses your team a game. Being one of the most sacked QB in the league absolutely hurts you trying to win games. Only throwing for 14 TDs hurt your team whe the objective is to score more points than the other team

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I’m so not a Tyrod fan but:

1) Tyrod threw 14 ints in 3 years. Peterman threw 5 in a half.

2) Josh Allen averaged less yards than Tyrod did last year in the MWC.

3) There wasn’t exactly a frenzy for AJ McCarron on the open market.

4) Daboll’s passing offense has been some of the worst in the nfl

5) our oline might be worse

again, I would like to hope we improve on our passing offense.  But it’s not a given.  I was very ready to move on from Tyrod but we have 3 question marks at qb.  Tyrod isn’t a star but you know what you were getting and he took care of the ball.  We have no idea with these guys, good or bad.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Not throwing the ball for more than 70 yards in an entire football game absolutely loses your team a game. Being one of the most sacked QB in the league absolutely hurts you trying to win games. Only throwing for 14 TDs hurt your team whe the objective is to score more points than the other team

Allen threw for 64 yards against Oregon and 70 against Air Force (in a win!).  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Exactly. He is a solid enough starter that with some pieces your offense can be pretty decent for the most part but he won't win you the game with his arm. If you have a 3-5 year period where your defense is really good he certainly can manage your team to some 10-6/11-5 years. But he isn't a guy like some media make it that will single handidly carry you to 9-10 wins just by himself the way Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Ben, and even lesser QBs like Wilson, Stafford, Ryan, and Rivers have. And that's what leads to the fighting between people because he is serviceable enough and with help can be pretty decent. But if Josh McCown was the Bills QB who is another good serviceable enough starter last year they probably beat Jax because he can pass better.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Exactly. He is a solid enough starter that with some pieces your offense can be pretty decent for the most part but he won't win you the game with his arm. If you have a 3-5 year period where your defense is really good he certainly can manage your team to some 10-6/11-5 years. But he isn't a guy like some media make it that will single handidly carry you to 9-10 wins just by himself the way Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Ben, and even lesser QBs like Wilson, Stafford, Ryan, and Rivers have.

Oh, I agree 100%.  But of course the media would expect a drop off when you lose a guy like that and replace him with 3 unknowns.  

I know now the media is evil now but I think this is completely reasonable.  I think most “realistic” Billsfans expect a drop off. Now if AJ is Brady Jr or Allen is Big Ben, expectations will change. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

We could have the 31st passing attack and 3x as many interceptions.  It could most definitely happen