[Vague Title] It continues... Josh Allen...

Scorp83

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Have you read what Beane said? He and his staff turned on the film and studied it for a long time. They didn't see a mediocre QB.  

Of course not. They saw a franchise QB. Would you expect them to say otherwise? I'm sure they could explain away all of his flaws. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm expecting  AJ.   McD will want his experience on the field.  His defense will keep games close, so McD will want no mistakes. That's AJ.  

I think the biggest reason the Bills went 9-7 and made the playoffs last year is that they won the turnover battle by a significant margin and rarely turned the ball over. That has proven over and over again to be a winning recipe.

The move from Tyrod Taylor (risk averse, but a good protector of the football) to Josh Allen ("Favre says always go for a touchdown", will almost certainly turn the ball over a lot more than Tyrod) is an incredibly interesting one. Talk about a drastic change for your offense!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

B

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm expecting  AJ.   McD will want his experience on the field.  His defense will keep games close, so McD will want no mistakes. That's AJ.  

I get the thought behind this because he’s been in the league longer, but hasn’t he started like 4 games? 

I dont know if thays enough to label him the mistake free safer option. I actually think all things even we roll with Peterman to start. 

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

This what I dont understand. A ton of college QB's that had great numbers didnt do much in the NFL. Playing QB is more than stats alone. For a QB to be successful it takes the right combo of system, coaching, and talent around him. How does anyone know what kind of QB he will be even before he gets drafted?? 

Some of us just know more about football than others.

It's a blessing and a burden.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

B

I get the thought behind this because he’s been in the league longer, but hasn’t he started like 4 games? 

I dont know if thays enough to label him the mistake free safer option. I actually think all things even we roll with Peterman to start. 

Very hard to predict at this point. But they brought in AJM while having Peterman in hand. I think Bills felt they stole him honestly  lol. Maybe a handshake was done ha ha 

Similar QBs though don't you think? and AJM has more NFL "experience " overall. I would feel he is more trusted to start.

But thats my opinion : )

43 minutes ago, The Drought said:

Never saw either, read all the books, just couldn't get past Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher who is 6'5" 250lbs and has dirty blond hair. The stories are good so I'm sure the movies were well done.

Actually, best movies he ever acted in imho

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree all those things are suspect.   I'd argue that they're all suspect with the other rookie QBs, too.  None of them has ever been in an NFL game, and they haven't shown they can do anything.   There plenty of explanations why Allen did those things less well in college, maybe the explanations, maybe they aren't.  

But Allen has a lot of talent that we DON'T have to worry about.   He can throw every pass the NFL demands.  He can throw deep, he can throw with touch, he throw bullets, he can throw the sideline out routes.   He has a quick release.   He's big and strong.  He's faster than any of the others in the top four rookies drafted.   In short, he has a lot the other guys don't have.   Mayfield's not getting any taller, Rosen's not getting any bigger, Darnold's not getting any smarter.   

I'm just gonna wait and see.  

I do think Allen’s accuracy is very underrated. I don’t think he will have an issue with that at all. Now awareness and decision making we will see if he can develop that without having to run for his life in every play.

15 minutes ago, billspro said:

I do think Allen’s accuracy is very underrated. I don’t think he will have an issue with that at all. Now awareness and decision making we will see if he can develop that without having to run for his life in every play.

That's correct and it's the same worry for every QB prospect, he's no different.  All the top prospects have skills and question marks.  They all have an opportunity to see if they can hang in the NFL.  Most wont and some will and there's a possibility a 2nd or 3rd flight prospect out performs all of them.  It's the way it goes.  I'm not trying to speak for you but I'm personally tired of hearing about how especially long our prospects odds are.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Man, now I've really heard it all. 

Obviously you didn’t see his accuracy after working with Palmer. Did you not pay attention to the offseason?

Again people continue to confuse accuracy with completion percentage. Allen’s incompletions were rarely due to accuracy issues. He did have some accuracy issues at times in the flats. His incompletions were mostly due to poor oline play, lack or WR separation, throwing late, and decision making.

7 minutes ago, White Linen said:

That's correct and it's the same worry for every QB prospect, he's no different.  All the top prospects have skills and question marks.  They all have an opportunity to see if they can hang in the NFL.  Most wont and some will and there's a possibility a 2nd or 3rd flight prospect out performs all of them.  It's the way it goes.  I'm not trying to speak for you but I'm personally tired of hearing about how especially long our prospects odds are.  

I am tired of it. I had Allen rated as my 6th QB based on his senior tape. Saying that when you factor in junior tape and the offseason he has the most potential of any QB in this class. I think 7 QBs have a chance to be franchise guys, it was a really good QB class. The odds are 50% of them bust. I hope Allen isn’t one of the busts.

Edited by billspro

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

Obviously you didn’t see his accuracy after working with Palmer. Did you not pay attention to the offseason?

Again people continue to confuse accuracy with completion percentage. Allen’s incompletions were rarely due to accuracy issues. He did have some accuracy issues at times in the flats. His incompletions were mostly due to poor oline play, lack or WR separation, throwing late, and decision making.

Ah, OK. Glad he got it corrected in shorts. Just like Tim Tebow did, right? 

Dammit, we need some real Josh Allen NFL action, because his time in Wyoming left too much to be desired. 

11 minutes ago, White Linen said:

All the top prospects have skills and question marks.  

The others were actually top notch QBs in college. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Damnit, we need some real Josh Allen NFL action, because his time in Wyoming left a real sour taste. 

I think he will prove me right in training camp, preseason, and the regular season this year. There is something special there, I can see why the Bills loved him.

4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Damnit, we need some real Josh Allen NFL action, because his time in Wyoming left a real sour taste. 

It wasn’t all bad. He won a lot of games with a terrible team around him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

Which part of the offseason? He’s been mostly throwing against air in gym shorts. 

Holy excuses Batman. Accuracy has been a legitimate criticism throughout the entire draft process. Quite frankly, it’s still a concern. Let’s not try and rewrite history because he’s being hyped up as our franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Which part of the offseason? He’s been mostly throwing against air in gym shorts. 

Holy excuses Batman. Accuracy has been a legitimate criticism throughout the entire draft process. Quite frankly, it’s still a concern. Let’s not try and rewrite history because he’s being hyped up as our franchise QB.

We will see this week, I don’t see it being an issue in training camp. I have been wrong before though.

4 minutes ago, billspro said:

We will see this week, I don’t see it being an issue in training camp. I have been wrong before though.

He was inconsistent throughout mini camp and OTAs but training camp is where it magically turns around? Sounds great!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Hour 1 from Howard & Jeremy this morning on the Football Outsiders write up...(which I've posted the link below).

https://app.radio.com/s2OuDBPrGO

Man... this guy scares me. This write up.... wow.

From the Write Up:

"A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect, Allen was abysmal in 2017 en route to not even making an all-Mountain West team. We don't want to say there's absolutely no chance he'll ever be good – he's got a deep ball, he's got some ability to make plays on the run and under pressure – but there is zero empirical evidence to support him becoming a reasonable NFL starting quarterback. And if you thought the excuses for his supporting cast were bad in Wyoming, wait till you see this Bills offense. ... Allen is the battleground that old scouts are going to die on, whether they're right about it or, as all evidence suggests, wrong about it."

[BN] Blitz newsletter: Get your popcorn ready for this Josh Allen take – The Buffalo News
https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/24/josh-allen-take-football-outsiders-bills-almanac-scouts/

To remotely entertain this opinionated and lacking factual substance paragraph as anything more than a poorly written attention grabber is making the author look Shakespeare like.

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This is the sort of thing I have been saying since the moment we drafted him.  

He is a perfect test case for old school "I know what I see" football people vs. new age data driven analysis.

The former loves his size, arm strength, and potential; the latter suggests he is highly unlikely to become even a serviceable NFL QB.

There is tremendous optimism for his success at this forum, but it is not rooted in persuasive data.  It is simply a function of many good Bills fans being beyond desperate to finally have a real QB.  

It's been a while.

Well said