Bills 2019 Draft

4 minutes ago, STL-Bills said:

What kind of drugs are you on, and where can the rest of us get some? :D  Just joking with you. But, you don't seriously think the team would give up on Josh after one season, regardless of how he plays, do you?

Welcome ? 

this place is batsh** crazy and it’s like meth... super addictive 

And don’t get discouraged when DCtom calls you an idiot, that means you’ve made it ?

Go Bills

• Haha (+1) 1

Next draft we need WR, RB, G, C, OT for starters.  IMO we will pick top 10.  As much as I would love Bosa or Oliver on the Bills, if a team is willing to overpay, I would trade down and fix the offense with additional picks

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Next draft we need WR, RB, G, C, OT for starters.  IMO we will pick top 10.  As much as I would love Bosa or Oliver on the Bills, if a team is willing to overpay, I would trade down and fix the offense with additional picks

Thanks for the reply, Pete. I like your assessment, and tend to agree with Bosa/Oliver considering DE is about to be a need for us most likely. I think you've got our needs pretty much dead on, in no particular order. I'm sure the fans would love to see those skill positions addressed early in the draft, but I'd be happy addressing the line with our 1st and 2nd pick if the right players are there at the right spots. We'll see!

3 hours ago, STL-Bills said:

Hey guys,

Been lurking a while, decided to make an account and join in on the fun. Bills fan from St. Louis (as my UN points to). Got to see the game at Arrowhead last year, and will be heading to Indy this year for hopefully another Bills victory!

Just for fun, I want to discuss the Bills draft strategy going into the 2019 draft. The way I see it, there are two scenarios that could play out.

1. The Bills surprise most, and have a solid season in 2018 (8-8 or better).

2. The Bills finish with a poor record (seems to be what most fans/pundits believe will be the case), and secure a top 5/10 draft pick.

I want to know what you guys think the team will/should do in both of the above scenarios. IMO, if the Bills end up with a top 5/10 pick, they should almost certainly look to move down. With the premium placed on the QB position, having a high pick is an excellent opportunity to take advantage of a team in need of a QB (as we saw this year with the Bills, Cards, Jets and with other teams in the past). This is assuming, obviously, that there are a few QB's who rise to the top of this class that other teams believe are worth such a move. If we can trade down to late 1st, and gain a few additional 2019 picks or a 2020 1st, that's absolutely what we should do. I think we draft well enough to find impact players in the late 1st (Tre White, small sample size I know) that a move like this is a no brainer. Not to mention, most view this upcoming draft as a relatively deep class.

If the Bills finish well enough to draft somewhere between picks 15-32, then I think they stand pat and take BPA. Only if someone really overpays to move up to this position (a QB falls etc) would I consider trading down. The Bills still have quite a few holes on their roster, and this is a spot that can they can select a player who fills an immediate need. Again, this is all subject to what kind of offers they might receive for the pick, but I think drafting a player here would be the smart move.

Let me know what you guys think they should do, looking forward to hearing your opinions. Go Bills!

No matter the outcome we need massive upgrades at Oline ,WR , TE and Shadys replacement.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

OT, DL, WR, CB, or maybe LB if we're in the teens

DL ?? We're are pretty solid up front. Unless there is a homerun DE at our pick , we need to upgrade the offense.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

DL ?? We're are pretty solid up front. Unless there is a homerun DE at our pick , we need to upgrade the offense.

Our pass rush has not proven to be solid. And next year is stacked at pass rusher. Plus, it's a big ticket position.

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is DL based on the incredible talent in the next draft. The Bills could be looking at a franchise altering pass rusher like Bosa. 

I think that WR, OL and RB will be the biggest needs. They will continue to swing in FA and the draft. It is like Noah’s Ark though; they’ll need 2 of each.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Our pass rush has not proven to be solid. And next year is stacked at pass rusher. Plus, it's a big ticket position.

Sacks are overated, our defense was solid last year and should be better this year, we can't keep neglecting the offense and expect to win.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My guess is DL based on the incredible talent in the next draft. The Bills could be looking at a franchise altering pass rusher like Bosa. 

I think that WR, OL and RB will be the biggest needs. They will continue to swing in FA and the draft. It is like Noah’s Ark though; they’ll need 2 of each.

Noah took 7 of the clean animals though ;)

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sacks are overated, our defense was solid last year and should be better this year, we can't keep neglecting the offense and expect to win.

Noah took 7 of the clean animals though ;)

I don’t disagree that offense is a WAY, WAY bigger need. This holds especially true if Shaq Lawson turns the corner as some have suggested. That class next year though may be the greatest DL class ever (and probably is at this point). If you can add a guy that’s going to get almost a sack a game you have to consider it. That could elevate from a good defense to a great defense.

Additionally, sacks are expensive. If you can get cost controlled pass rushers and QBs it allows you to overspend elsewhere to nab high end talents. You may be able to chase Bell and/or Beckham next year because your cap space isn’t all committed to pass rush and QB. 

Just to be clear I am in no way opposed to a #1 WR (AJ Brown). I don’t think that an OL will warrant that spot, assuming it is a top 10 pick. The only way I’d draft an OL top 10 is to protect the blindside and I think that’s the one spot that the Bills have filled.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm usually all about trading down but there are some incredible pass rushers in next year's draft so I'm all in on drafting one of them if we're near the top. If we're in the mid-range I would go best line player on either side.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree that offense is a WAY, WAY bigger need. This holds especially true if Shaq Lawson turns the corner as some have suggested. That class next year though may be the greatest DL class ever (and probably is at this point). If you can add a guy that’s going to get almost a sack a game you have to consider it. That could elevate from a good defense to a great defense.

Additionally, sacks are expensive. If you can get cost controlled pass rushers and QBs it allows you to overspend elsewhere to nab high end talents. You may be able to chase Bell and/or Beckham next year because your cap space isn’t all committed to pass rush and QB. 

Just to be clear I am in no way opposed to a #1 WR (AJ Brown). I don’t think that an OL will warrant that spot, assuming it is a top 10 pick. The only way I’d draft an OL top 10 is to protect the blindside and I think that’s the one spot that the Bills have filled.

I agree but if a guard like Quenton Nelson is there though I would be all over that. I really wanted that kid and I bet the Bills did too except we needed QB.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I agree but if a guard like Quenton Nelson is there though I would be all over that. I really wanted that kid and I bet the Bills did too except we needed QB.

Nelson is an exception though. He’s projected as a perennial all-pro. Those guys don’t come along often. There are certain positions like guard and safety that you shouldn’t take in the top 10 unless they are prospects like Nelson or Ed Reed. The top 10 has to be shutdown corner, blindside tackle, QB, elite skill player or pass rush. Those things are all “tough to come by.” Teams don’t let those guys hit the market (almost ever). Matt Ryan will forever be a Falcon, Von Miller a Bronco, etc.... 

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nelson is an exception though. He’s projected as a perennial all-pro. Those guys don’t come along often. There are certain positions like guard and safety that you shouldn’t take in the top 10 unless they are prospects like Nelson or Ed Reed. The top 10 has to be shutdown corner, blindside tackle, QB, elite skill player or pass rush. Those things are all “tough to come by.” Teams don’t let those guys hit the market (almost ever). Matt Ryan will forever be a Falcon, Von Miller a Bronco, etc.... 

Well we are not drafting top ten so it's all good man ;)

Just looked through some draft rankings are there are a bunch of solid OL prospects in the second round. Pretty decent passrushers throughout as well.

Can't wait, we are finally going to be an elite team and With McBeane in charge we will be.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think the OP's point is that if there are a couple-few highly regarded qbs (there always seem to be) and the Bills are in a position to draft one, they almost certainly *will* be able to find a partner. I was thinking about this other day myself, and I think it's a good thread. For argument's sake: trading down from, say, 3, and picking up, say, a second and a third plus a mid-first round pick (16-20 range) would allow the Bills to get a top-rated interior lineman, a new elite RB (rd 2 is historically good for such a player), and a TE in round 3. They can sign a WR and solid LB in FA with all of their cap space too. The organization has a long term plan that stretches beyond this year, so it's probably a good idea for us to think along these lines too.

I fully agree with your premise but the hypothetical deal you described seems to shortchange the Bills by quite a bit. I would want WAY more than that for going from 3 to 20.

Maybe I'm too sensitive from watching Whaley get fleeced time and time again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No matter the outcome we need massive upgrades at Oline ,WR , TE and Shadys replacement.

I fully, 100% agree with you about team needs. The offense appears to have huge needs all over. That said, as you know I follow the Crimson Tide.  They have a DL named Raekwon  Davis. He is playing inside a lot now but he has the speed and moves to play DE imo. He is as strong as an ox and his arms are super long. I liken him to a stronger Mario Williams. I hope you keep an eye on him.

So aside from Raekwon yes, I am all about offense in 2019.

• Like (+1) 2