Going to the Movies

Gugny

Anyway, I have another crazy movie story to share.  Really, we very rarely go out to the movies anymore.  Unless something “can’t miss” is out or we’re just completely bored (e.g., Super Troopers).  A few weeks ago my bride and I were enjoying a baked brie with fresh rosemary and pine nuts, and a lovely Sauvignon Blanc.  

I got a text from a pal who wanted us to meet he and his boyfriend for a 9:30 showing of Tyler Perry’s Acrimony.  I was feeling adventurous, so I convinced the wife to go.  So we hopped in my Nissan Leaf and cruised down to the local cinema.  Long story short...three guys sitting in front of us had smuggled in containers of chicken wings.  Dozens of stinky, honey-garlic chicken wings! Who does that?  How inconsiderate is that?  Anyway, I’m not one to make a stink so I kept my mouth shut, but yeesh!  The balls on some people.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyway, I have another crazy movie story to share.  Really, we very rarely go out to the movies anymore.  Unless something “can’t miss” is out or we’re just completely bored (e.g., Super Troopers).  A few weeks ago my bride and I were enjoying a baked brie with fresh rosemary and pine nuts, and a lovely Sauvignon Blanc.  

I got a text from a pal who wanted us to meet he and his boyfriend for a 9:30 showing of Tyler Perry’s Acrimony.  I was feeling adventurous, so I convinced the wife to go.  So we hopped in my Nissan Leaf and cruised down to the local cinema.  Long story short...three guys sitting in front of us had smuggled in containers of chicken wings.  Dozens of stinky, honey-garlic chicken wings! Who does that?  How inconsiderate is that?  Anyway, I’m not one to make a stink so I kept my mouth shut, but yeesh!  The balls on some people.

Don’t complain, get creative and take your own stuff into the theater. Put them to shame, I say! Maybe a fondue pot and s’mores!  Stinky wings need some shame! 

I was in Tyler perry’s last house in Atlanta (not sure where he’s at now, but he has some ATL roots), and it was magnificent! Not like Ushers grandiose mansion (and he’s supposed to be a GREAT guy). Very tasteful and comfortable for such an enormous place. I saw somewhere it’s back on the market for $25 million, but if you can afford that, you can probably buy your food at the movies. 

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Why are you such a !@#$ing thread hijacker?  REPORTANDO, MOTHER !@#$ER!

• Haha (+1) 1

Down here we have a high end movie theatre with super comfy seats that are like sofas, waiters that come to your seats, and ticket prices that are high enough that undesirables stay away. 

I only go to the theater maybe twice a year, so I don't care what the ticket prices are.  

It's perfect.

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Down here we have a high end movie theatre with super comfy seats that are like sofas, waiters that come to your seats, and ticket prices that are high enough that undesirables stay away. 

I only go to the theater maybe twice a year, so I don't care what the ticket prices are.  

It's perfect.

flat-snowflakes-with-different-designs_2

Gug... NOT you Fadingpain (you're badass).?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That's more like it.

You're so relatable now.

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It's perfect.

We have at least 10 of those in the area.

I only go to the best one that requires a membership and a background check.

The gourmet popcorn is complimentary.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I went years (about 10) without going to the movies because people have no respect for others, or any couth.

This year, however, as I've become a single dad and like to make sure I find something to do with my son on weekends, I've been to quite a few movies.

My biggest complaint ... popcorn.  Why is one of the noisiest snacks a movie staple?  And nachos.  They sell nachos.  They're even more noisy.

We went to see "Tag" when it first came out.  The theaters in my local cinema are pretty small.  20 rows, max.  There was a woman who'd brought her very elderly father to see the movie.  My guess is that she wanted to see it and had to drag him along.  He slept through the entire thing and had this annoying high pitched snore.  I was going to say something and even walked back there, only to find that the guy was no less than 90.  So I just dealt with it.

Fast forward to today.  I strategically reserved two seats that were seat 2 and 3 at the end of the aisle; leaving seat one vacant.  What are the chances that someone will reserve one seat right there?  Answer:  100%.  Place was full.  Nowhere to go.

Picture John Popper circa 1990.  All reclined back with the largest bucket of popcorn available sitting atop his stomach.  He chewed with his mouth open and was eating at a pace that would impress Joey Chestnut.

I was just about to say something and he suddenly put the popcorn down on the floor.  He must have caught one of my glares.

Halfway through the movie, he's out like a light, sawing wood.  I elbowed the side of the chair and woke him up.  I ended up having to do this 4-5 times, because his snoring was drowning the movie's audio out.

As if the chewing and the snoring weren't enough, he smelled like a locker room and every time he moved/readjusted, the stench came my way.

This was, by far, the worst movie-going experience of my lifetime.  I still enjoyed the movie ("Skyscraper"  Neve Campbell, still hot), but it would have been a lot better without sitting next to this dude.

I feel your pain. It's called misophonia and it can be brutal. 

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/what-is-misophonia

20 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You enjoyed skyscraper??

Those are two things I do hate: do not bring babies or super old people into a movie theater.

Idiots

I was going to say the worse thing about going to the movies these days are ....the movies.

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

I went years (about 10) without going to the movies because people have no respect for others, or any couth.

This year, however, as I've become a single dad and like to make sure I find something to do with my son on weekends, I've been to quite a few movies.

My biggest complaint ... popcorn.  Why is one of the noisiest snacks a movie staple?  And nachos.  They sell nachos.  They're even more noisy.

We went to see "Tag" when it first came out.  The theaters in my local cinema are pretty small.  20 rows, max.  There was a woman who'd brought her very elderly father to see the movie.  My guess is that she wanted to see it and had to drag him along.  He slept through the entire thing and had this annoying high pitched snore.  I was going to say something and even walked back there, only to find that the guy was no less than 90.  So I just dealt with it.

Fast forward to today.  I strategically reserved two seats that were seat 2 and 3 at the end of the aisle; leaving seat one vacant.  What are the chances that someone will reserve one seat right there?  Answer:  100%.  Place was full.  Nowhere to go.

Picture John Popper circa 1990.  All reclined back with the largest bucket of popcorn available sitting atop his stomach.  He chewed with his mouth open and was eating at a pace that would impress Joey Chestnut.

I was just about to say something and he suddenly put the popcorn down on the floor.  He must have caught one of my glares.

Halfway through the movie, he's out like a light, sawing wood.  I elbowed the side of the chair and woke him up.  I ended up having to do this 4-5 times, because his snoring was drowning the movie's audio out.

As if the chewing and the snoring weren't enough, he smelled like a locker room and every time he moved/readjusted, the stench came my way.

This was, by far, the worst movie-going experience of my lifetime.  I still enjoyed the movie ("Skyscraper"  Neve Campbell, still hot), but it would have been a lot better without sitting next to this dude.

I don't know what's worse, you bitching about popcorn, or you enjoying Skyscraper.  

1 minute ago, Dante said:

I was going to say the worse thing about going to the movies these days are ....the movies.

Are you suggesting that Hollywood always made great movies up until "these days?" Then, as soon as "these days" started, the movies became terrible? 

Interesting.

24 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Are you suggesting that Hollywood always made great movies up until "these days?" Then, as soon as "these days" started, the movies became terrible? 

Interesting.

They have always made sucky movies and great movies. The ratio now is way favoring the suckage. Unless you like juvenile sci-fi or superhero nonsense, or formulaic rehashed crap, it's slim pickings. 

"These days" is kinda vague but I would say that means the last 15 years or so. 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

We've been going to Movie Tavern lately. Prices are similar to Regal but you can't beat the drinks and food being brought to your seat. And the 42oz draft that comes in a mug you can keep and bring back for refills. 

https://www.movietavern.com/

42 ozer might have me going to the commode to much!