Step-by-step, how the Bills knew Josh Allen was right for them

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but even if we restrict "overhyped player" to "overhyped QB", Rosen still has stiff competition for "most overhyped ever"

Jamarcus Russell. 

Ryan Leaf.

Blaine Gabbert, ferpetesake

The list goes on.

Not to mention we have yet to see the guy toss a regular season pass - it's hard to be overhyped if it turns out he can actually, you know, play QB

A little less exaggeration & hyperbole would be a refreshing change.

Overhyped based on what I have seen from his play. Maybe he will outperform and live up to the hype, but I am skeptical.

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Barners. Tsk, tsk.

I am obliged to hate Auburn, but the reality is it’s a fine school, as is Alabama.

How does the Harvard  of the SEC discussion infiltrate every unrelated thread? Its fascinating really.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

When the draft process began in this draft year he picked Allen to be the first qb taken and go to Cleveland with his mock draft. He was skewered and ridiculed. At the end of the draft process it became apparent that Josh Allen was going to be a highly rated prospect and be an early selection. Mel gets a lot of things wrong, as do all the media pickers, but with Allen he was steadfast and ultimately was proven to be right. 

I'm not predicting that Allen is going to turn out to be a terrific pro because I just don't know. But to Mel's credit he saw something early that most didn't see and he stayed with his conviction. In this particular case he went against the mocking herd and ended up being on the right side. Kudos to him. 

Backing up Mel’s opinion is this perspective (lengthy and raw, but is Our Boy he’s raving about!)

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How does the Harvard  of the SEC discussion infiltrate every unrelated thread? Its fascinating really.

Vanderbilt is a good school. Alabama and Auburn are not. 

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Overhyped based on what I have seen from his play. Maybe he will outperform and live up to the hype, but I am skeptical.

I'm completely with "overhyped" as your opinion. 

I just think "most overhyped player ever" is not particularly arguable, even should Rosen bust.

1 minute ago, ny33 said:

Vanderbilt is a good school. Alabama and Auburn are not. 

Please take the college discussion to off the wall

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm completely with "overhyped" as your opinion. 

I just think "most overhyped player ever" is not particularly arguable, even should Rosen bust.

Please take the college discussion to off the wall

You misquoted me. I said perhaps.

In his junior year I was all-in on Josh Allen to the Bills. Then throughout his senior year my enthusiasm waned. His bowl performance and senior bowl again sparked my interest but my gut said Rosen was the guy, to the point I was surprised the Bills picked Allen. Now I’m back as an Allen booster. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Backing up Mel’s opinion is this perspective (lengthy and raw, but is Our Boy he’s raving about!)

That fact that Kiper likes him makes me feel worse.  He is terrible.  He said the same things about Jimmy Clausen. 

39 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

In his junior year I was all-in on Josh Allen to the Bills. Then throughout his senior year my enthusiasm waned. His bowl performance and senior bowl again sparked my interest but my gut said Rosen was the guy, to the point I was surprised the Bills picked Allen. Now I’m back as an Allen booster. 

I want to feel like this.  I watched Allen this year because I wanted to see what the hype was about. Dude barely looked draftable in the Oregon and Iowa.  I know people will come up with a million excuses but I saw a mid round prospect at best.  

I watched a ton of Rosen.  I saw a guy who played with a defense that gave up 35 points/ game.  I saw a guy who had one of the greatest comebacks next to Reich that I’ve ever seen.  I saw a guy outplay Darnold head to head.  For all the excuses people made for Allen, Rosen played on a crappy UCLA team.  But he produced.  

Im not fake.  I can’t pretend I like a pick because my team made him.  I would have been happy if the Jets took him.  I will root for him because I’m sure he will work hard and do the right things.  But man, I hope they are right because if hey aren’t, they are morons for ignoring overwhelming evidence.

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Here’s why I said that.  In a thread about Allen, you felt the need to knock Rosen.  I agree on I don’t think Allen is a racist. But:

1) I get that people are excited but so much stuff is fluff pieces.  Which Bills Qb didn’t work hard or try to embrace the city?  I’m sick of fluff and want results.

2). Allen had some real issues in college.  Sub 60% college passers (in the last 10 years, I’m sure someone will bring up Otto Graham’s stats in college as counter) fail at a tremendous rate in the nfl.  Folks make a lot of excuses for his performance.  But a sub 60% passer, sub 2,000 yard passer in the MWC going 7th overall worries me.

3) besides perhaps Dawkins, their offensive evaluations have been terrible.  Fully on board with the defense but this is the problem with an offensive coach.

4) I think we should have taken Rosen.  It bothers me that the Bills seem like they didn’t evaluate him as much as other qbs. I thought Allen was the worst” but you still completely evaluate him.

5) i feel like Rosen “fell” because a) fans/ coaches didn’t think he was totally devoted to football (I get that to an extent) or b) disagrees with his politics or things he said (which is pathetic).  I’m guessing I’m not on the same page with Allen politically but that would have no factor in my view of him as a prospect.

ive been on this board for a long time.  I’ve been called a homer many, many times.  I love this team much more than I should.  I hate feeling like the Bills blew one of the most important picks in franchise history on a flawed qb, which is a pattern for this team.  But as I’ve said many times, I’d rather have the Bills succeed but than be right.  I hate this feeling.

Im assuming you meant defensive coach otherwise it doesn't make sense. To the bold why do you say this? *curious*

17 minutes ago, muppy said:

Im assuming you meant defensive coach otherwise it doesn't make sense. To the bold why do you say this? *curious*

Yeah.  I think McDermott has all the power on this team.  I fully trust him on defensive.  Besides Dawkins, their offensive player evaluations have been really bad.  It’s only been a year but we’re asking a guy who has been on defense his whole career to make a major call on a qb.   That’s a huge risk imo. 

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That fact that Kiper likes him makes me feel worse.  He is terrible.  He said the same things about Jimmy Clausen. 

I want to feel like this.  I watched Allen this year because I wanted to see what the hype was about. Dude barely looked draftable in the Oregon and Iowa.  I know people will come up with a million excuses but I saw a mid round prospect at best.  

I watched a ton of Rosen.  I saw a guy who played with a defense that gave up 35 points/ game.  I saw a guy who had one of the greatest comebacks next to Reich that I’ve ever seen.  I saw a guy outplay Darnold head to head.  For all the excuses people made for Allen, Rosen played on a crappy UCLA team.  But he produced.  

Im not fake.  I can’t pretend I like a pick because my team made him.  I would have been happy if the Jets took him.  I will root for him because I’m sure he will work hard and do the right things.  But man, I hope they are right because if hey aren’t, they are morons for ignoring overwhelming evidence.

All of this. 

I am the same C.Biscuit. I'm not going to suddenly pretend I feel good about Allen's chances because he is a Bill.  I feel the same as I felt when I finished reviewing his film in February. The ceiling is very, very high the chances of reaching it are slim.  I will support him every step of the way.... but my heart doesn't overrule my head. I still see what I saw in February and I have rewatched a couple of his games in the last 2 or 3 weeks.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This is weirdly off topic, but does anyone know if Allen has any Native American heritage? I have always thought that his face shape looked a bit like it... 

High cheek bones, yes. ‘Injun Josh’, ala ‘Injun Joe’ Kapp. 

Nice sqaw too!?

F438BE70-8678-4412-8720-3B95C28087A6.jpeg

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but even if we restrict "overhyped player" to "overhyped QB", Rosen still has stiff competition for "most overhyped ever"

Jamarcus Russell. 

Ryan Leaf.

Blaine Gabbert, ferpetesake

The list goes on.

Not to mention we have yet to see the guy toss a regular season pass - it's hard to be overhyped if it turns out he can actually, you know, play QB

A little less exaggeration & hyperbole would be a refreshing change.

Why do we hear so much about Rosen’s intelligence and hardly anything about Allen’s even though Allen scored significantly higher on the Wonderelic?

His intelligence is overhyped like his football talent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Why do we hear so much about Rosen’s intelligence and hardly anything about Allen’s even though Allen scored significantly higher on the Wonderelic?

His intelligence is overhyped like his football talent.

Probably because a programme like Wyoming gets far less coverage than a programme like UCLA? Look we know you hate Josh Rosen - it's a personal dislike you have. That's fine.  Everything you say about him should be viewed through that prism.