Spiritual Practice? Meditation?

Logic

Howdy folks.

Maybe I'm way off base in thinking that this will receive any views or replies, but it's the slow part of the offseason and I'm bored at work, so here goes.

Does anybody here participate in any form of spiritual practice that they're open to discussing? Meditation? Yoga? Church every Sunday? Have you found said practice particularly helpful in calming you, changing your perception for the better, reducing anger or stress, etc?

I'll happily share or detail my own practice if this gets any interest. If not, I won't. And if this sort of discussion weirds you out -- as it seems to for many people -- then by all means, click the "Back" button and keep scrolling. Just thought it might make for some interesting conversation.

14 hours ago, Logic said:

Howdy folks.

Maybe I'm way off base in thinking that this will receive any views or replies, but it's the slow part of the offseason and I'm bored at work, so here goes.

Does anybody here participate in any form of spiritual practice that they're open to discussing? Meditation? Yoga? Church every Sunday? Have you found said practice particularly helpful in calming you, changing your perception for the better, reducing anger or stress, etc?

I'll happily share or detail my own practice if this gets any interest. If not, I won't. And if this sort of discussion weirds you out -- as it seems to for many people -- then by all means, click the "Back" button and keep scrolling. Just thought it might make for some interesting conversation.

Genuine spiritual practice usually involves some form of initiation. While exoteric forms of religion can be helpful and are even necessary, imo, the esoteric is what allows for development and genuine gnosis. By its nature, it's difficult to talk about and attempts to convey it through writing suffer from what Plato talks about in his Seventh letter (I judge it genuine -- i.e., the most important elements require living interaction and dialogue, because one has to measure the teaching to the unique person and to try and convey such wisdom "neutrally" in writing invites misunderstanding and derision.)

I don't discount the therapeutic aspects of spirituality, but my own experience is that it doesn't typically calm, reduce anger and stress, etc, though some forms of meditation take one away from the roil of egoistic anxieties, you can't simply live in a fortress of meditation. Well, I can't and I don't really trust those who claim otherwise. I suspect them of faking, but maybe I'm just not there yet.

Anyway, to answer your question a bit more concretely, my own path involves study, meditation, art (because process requires some form of activity to manifest contemplation.) I am an eccentric Christian, so prayer and liturgy are part of spiritual praxis, though it has not often played a tangible role in my own experience because I am frequently alienated from demotic, egalitarian forms of religion. It was different in pre-modern eras when a vital folk culture preserved lived patterns of ancient wisdom, but today one mostly gets bathetic pabulum and I can't abide it.

Rare for anyone to broach this subject. Notice how one has to apologize for it, so far have the concerns of the spirit been marginalized and made nearly illicit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was an altar boy as a kid, went to a Christian Bros HS, then a Jesuit University. I had assignments to attend pretty much every type of service available in WNY, and took philosophy or theology every semester in college. I must say, I can’t find a single formal religion that really does it all for me. If you could roll them all up in one, you might be on to something. There is a sad tendency to divide rather than be inclusive. When my wife chaired the Catholic Charities Ball for years, there was a huge emphasis on including all groups. It wasn’t about the “Catholic”, it was about the “Charity”, the help to those who needed it. There was HUGE support from the entire community Catholics alone could not have achieved.  I’ll gladly attend mass with my wife, as long as she doesn’t go to 7:00AM...I have limits! 

Having said all that, I suppose I have certain forms of informal meditation I practice. This has become more important to me in recent times. I find that I can achieve a certain level of peace if I can relax myself and put things more in perspective. When I can’t sleep at night these days, I rarely mind it. It’s a few hours of peaceful quiet I can spend with my thoughts and my breathing. I have the luxury of sleeping in, so it’s not harmful to the next day and I can get that needed sleep after I get my “quiet thoughts time”. I’d be open to more formal types of meditation and any other forms of “mental wellness”. Lord knows I need it! 

While I’m not really religious, I do feel I’m very spiritual. I kind of resent the man-made rules that formal religions contrive to suit their needs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Genuine spiritual practice usually involves some form of initiation. While exoteric forms of religion can be helpful and are even necessary, imo, the esoteric is what allows for development and genuine gnosis. By its nature, it's difficult to talk about and attempts to convey it through writing suffer from what Plato talks about in his Seventh letter (I judge it genuine -- i.e., the most important elements require living interaction and dialogue, because one has to measure the teaching to the unique person and to try and convey such wisdom "neutrally" in writing invites misunderstanding and derision.)

I don't discount the therapeutic aspects of spirituality, but my own experience is that it doesn't typically calm, reduce anger and stress, etc, though some forms of meditation take one away from the roil of egoistic anxieties, you can't simply live in a fortress of meditation. Well, I can't and I don't really trust those who claim otherwise. I suspect them of faking, but maybe I'm just not there yet.

Anyway, to answer your question a bit more concretely, my own path involves study, meditation, art (because process requires some form of activity to manifest contemplation.) I am an eccentric Christian, so prayer and liturgy are part of spiritual praxis, though it has not often played a tangible role in my own experience because I am frequently alienated from demotic, egalitarian forms of religion. It was different in pre-modern eras when a vital folk culture preserved lived patterns of ancient wisdom, but today one mostly gets bathetic pabulum and I can't abide it.

Rare for anyone to broach this subject. Notice how one has to apologize for it, so far have the concerns of the spirit been marginalized and made nearly illicit.

Excellent and thorough response. Thank you for taking the time to write it! I especially like and agree with the bolded quote.

Western man IS, in fact, slavishly devoted to a particular religion, though they don't recognize it as such. That "religion" is rational thought and accepted science. The western world worships it to the exclusion of all else. Unfortunately, the truth is that the brain is an excellent servant but a terrible master, and thinking otherwise is what has led to the marginalization of spirit.

I always agreed with the notion that the East and the West suffer from opposite problems: The West has developed an over-reliance on rationalism, science, and materialism, at the expense of spiritual and emotional growth and lasting contentment. The East, meanwhile, has nurtured the spirit for thousands of years, but often at the expense of material comfort and security and rational and scientific development. The result is that in the west, we have conquered outer space but not inner space. We have great comfort and security and have made great scientific advances, yet the majority of the population wrestles constantly with fear, anxiety, depression, and discontent. Meanwhile, in places like India and Nepal, much of the population lives in extreme poverty and poor health. At the same time, though, some of the most spiritually adept, emotionally balanced, and contented people on earth reside there. I have seen it with my own eyes in the streets of Varanasi. Extreme poverty and poor health, but a deep sense of spiritual richness and contentment. A westerner walks the streets there and pities them. Meanwhile, they pity the westerner, who is physically healthy but spiritually devoid.

My path involves one basic goal: to move my personal identification from the ego to the soul, and moreover, from the soul to the source energy that is manifest in all things. I have spent my entire adult life soaking up every philosophy, religion, and school of thought I can possibly get my hands on. Each has some degree of value, some degree of historical adulteration that has obscured the original message, and some degree of rubbish. I believe that each individual's path is unique and there is not one "correct" religion to which everyone "should" adhere. My own studies led me to the Vedic/Hindu school of thought, which emphasizes the aforementioned switching of personal identification from ego to soul to source energy ("god", if you wish to call it that). Eventually, it became evident to me that ALL mystical schools -- certainly those of eastern origin -- led back to one central idea: duality is illusion. Abolishing the idea of duality and accepting the illusory nature of our perceived reality is the pathway to awakening. As stated, my main practice is to achieve this restructuring of thought and identification. To achieve this, I have enacted methods primarily derived from Ashtanga Yoga and Vipasana meditation. Basically: quieting the mind and opening the heart. Cultivation of the spirit and service to others. As Lao Tzu said: "When you perceive that an action done to another is done to yourself, you have understood the Tao".  

As to the effectiveness of my practice, I can only state that I do indeed feel greater calm, clarity, and peace. Additionally, accepting the notion that all beings are made of the same "stuff" and are therefore one being and abolishing the notion of "man as an island unto himself" has helped me to feel compassion for all beings and to begin to overcome lasting anger toward others. This, in turn, has reduced the power that other people or events have over me. There is no "me" and no "them", only an "us". There is no overstating how profound a shift this is in consciousness, and how profoundly it alters the way in which one approaches life. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Excellent and thorough response. Thank you for taking the time to write it! I especially like and agree with the bolded quote.

Western man IS, in fact, slavishly devoted to a particular religion, though they don't recognize it as such. That "religion" is rational thought and accepted science. The western world worships it to the exclusion of all else. Unfortunately, the truth is that the brain is an excellent servant but a terrible master, and thinking otherwise is what has led to the marginalization of spirit.

I always agreed with the notion that the East and the West suffer from opposite problems: The West has developed an over-reliance on rationalism, science, and materialism, at the expense of spiritual and emotional growth and lasting contentment. The East, meanwhile, has nurtured the spirit for thousands of years, but often at the expense of material comfort and security and rational and scientific development. The result is that in the west, we have conquered outer space but not inner space. We have great comfort and security and have made great scientific advances, yet the majority of the population wrestles constantly with fear, anxiety, depression, and discontent. Meanwhile, in places like India and Nepal, much of the population lives in extreme poverty and poor health. At the same time, though, some of the most spiritually adept, emotionally balanced, and contented people on earth reside there. I have seen it with my own eyes in the streets of Varanasi. Extreme poverty and poor health, but a deep sense of spiritual richness and contentment. A westerner walks the streets there and pities them. Meanwhile, they pity the westerner, who is physically healthy but spiritually devoid.

My path involves one basic goal: to move my personal identification from the ego to the soul, and moreover, from the soul to the source energy that is manifest in all things. I have spent my entire adult life soaking up every philosophy, religion, and school of thought I can possibly get my hands on. Each has some degree of value, some degree of historical adulteration that has obscured the original message, and some degree of rubbish. I believe that each individual's path is unique and there is not one "correct" religion to which everyone "should" adhere. My own studies led me to the Vedic/Hindu school of thought, which emphasizes the aforementioned switching of personal identification from ego to soul to source energy ("god", if you wish to call it that). Eventually, it became evident to me that ALL mystical schools -- certainly those of eastern origin -- led back to one central idea: duality is illusion. Abolishing the idea of duality and accepting the illusory nature of our perceived reality is the pathway to awakening. As stated, my main practice is to achieve this restructuring of thought and identification. To achieve this, I have enacted methods primarily derived from Ashtanga Yoga and Vipasana meditation. Basically: quieting the mind and opening the heart. Cultivation of the spirit and service to others. As Lao Tzu said: "When you perceive that an action done to another is done to yourself, you have understood the Tao".  

As to the effectiveness of my practice, I can only state that I do indeed feel greater calm, clarity, and peace. Additionally, accepting the notion that all beings are made of the same "stuff" and are therefore one being and abolishing the notion of "man as an island unto himself" has helped me to feel compassion for all beings and to begin to overcome lasting anger toward others. This, in turn, has reduced the power that other people or events have over me. There is no "me" and no "them", only an "us". There is no overstating how profound a shift this is in consciousness, and how profoundly it alters the way in which one approaches life. 

I’m sure I’m over simplifying this...   

I have relatives who are very materialistic. I keep saying that a good family, good health, and a job that you don’t dislike are all that matter.  Once you have what you “want” you will just want more.  My words fall on deaf ears. 

As as far as religion and spirituality are concerned, some relatives go to church regularly, others go occasionally, and others try to avoid it. Based on my observations of family members, I don’t think going to church correlates to kindness, generosity, humility, acceptance, or any other virtue. In fact, some of the ones who go rarely are the ones who seem to display characteristics that imply spirituality. 

37 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’m sure I’m over simplifying this...   

I have relatives who are very materialistic. I keep saying that a good family, good health, and a job that you don’t dislike are all that matter.  Once you have what you “want” you will just want more.  My words fall on deaf ears. 

As as far as religion and spirituality are concerned, some relatives go to church regularly, others go occasionally, and others try to avoid it. Based on my observations of family members, I don’t think going to church correlates to kindness, generosity, humility, acceptance, or any other virtue. In fact, some of the ones who go rarely are the ones who seem to display characteristics that imply spirituality. 

I don't think you're over simplifying it at all. I think you're right on the money. "Once you have what you want, you will just want more" is a great way to describe addiction to materialism. Finding contentment in the present moment and with what you already have is one of the most important lessons a person can learn -- and make no mistake, far too few ever learn it!

As for church and religion in general -- I'll leave it to Alan Watts: "The doctrine is like a finger pointing at the moon, and one must take care not to mistake the finger for the moon. Too many, I fear, suck the pointing finger of religion for comfort, instead of looking where it points". 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I was an altar boy as a kid, went to a Christian Bros HS, then a Jesuit University. I had assignments to attend pretty much every type of service available in WNY, and took philosophy or theology every semester in college. I must say, I can’t find a single formal religion that really does it all for me. If you could roll them all up in one, you might be on to something. There is a sad tendency to divide rather than be inclusive. When my wife chaired the Catholic Charities Ball for years, there was a huge emphasis on including all groups. It wasn’t about the “Catholic”, it was about the “Charity”, the help to those who needed it. There was HUGE support from the entire community Catholics alone could not have achieved.  I’ll gladly attend mass with my wife, as long as she doesn’t go to 7:00AM...I have limits! 

Having said all that, I suppose I have certain forms of informal meditation I practice. This has become more important to me in recent times. I find that I can achieve a certain level of peace if I can relax myself and put things more in perspective. When I can’t sleep at night these days, I rarely mind it. It’s a few hours of peaceful quiet I can spend with my thoughts and my breathing. I have the luxury of sleeping in, so it’s not harmful to the next day and I can get that needed sleep after I get my “quiet thoughts time”. I’d be open to more formal types of meditation and any other forms of “mental wellness”. Lord knows I need it! 

While I’m not really religious, I do feel I’m very spiritual. I kind of resent the man-made rules that formal religions contrive to suit their needs. 

I'd blame the Jesuits for that! 

4 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I'd blame the Jesuits for that! 

There’s certainly plenty of blame to go around! Of course, it goes without saying NONE of this is on ME. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Logic said:

Howdy folks.

My S.O. has a very stressful, demanding corporate job with tons of responsibility and BS to deal with on a daily basis.

She tries to get to a yoga class almost every single day.  She finds it very calming and it helps her remain sane.

IMO, the "right" form of "spiritual practice" is whatever works for the individual.  If anyone has found a ritual that works for them, stick with it.  Copying what works for someone else might work, but might not work as well.

• Like (+1) 1

I get a kick out of how wise and enlightened we think we are. Just over a hundred years ago we were trying to keep a plane in the air, and now we drive remote control cars around on Mars. What might we be capable of in another hundred years? Or a thousand? A million? We still have no clue about dark energy or dark matter....which is like 95% of the universe. The one thing I know is I know nuthin’! There is stuff I can’t even begin to imagine. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for sharing that. A fella I like who you may find of interest is Wolfgang Smith. Cosmos and Transcendence, Science & Myth, and Christian Gnosis are worth a perusal. Smith synthesizes Vedantic insight, Kabbalah, Christian mystics.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On July 7, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Augie said:

I get a kick out of how wise and enlightened we think we are. Just over a hundred years ago we were trying to keep a plane in the air, and now we drive remote control cars around on Mars. What might we be capable of in another hundred years? Or a thousand? A million? We still have no clue about dark energy or dark matter....which is like 95% of the universe. The one thing I know is I know nuthin’! There is stuff I can’t even begin to imagine. 

The weird part is that Western Civilization took a 1,000 year nap, roughly, from the fall of the Western Roman Empire to the beginning of the Renaissance.

Everything man has developed is roughly 1,000 years late.  The industrial revolution could have occurred in the 8th century, not the 18th.

The first powered flight could have been in the early 10th century, not 20th, and so on.

If things had progressed along this alternative timeline, we would now be 1,000 years beyond where we are in technology.

Or to put it another way, whatever man will be doing in 1,000 years, we would be doing NOW.

Humans will be doing some pretty impressively cool stuff in 1,000 years, for sure.

Genetically grown spare body parts will be just one enormous difference; everything will be nano engineered to be perfectly efficient at a microscopic level, and there will be some pretty impressive AI in existence, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1