Bills attended Sam Beals pro Day

21 hours ago, The Dean said:

Your argument gets sillier and sillier. The truth is I have no idea what Beals IQ is, and neither do you. Taking very few facts and mixing it in a bit about what you think you know about D1 programs (and apparently about EVERY D1 program and player), and jumping to a pre-established conclusion is a sign of delusion, not intelligence. And it certainly isn't sound logic.

I have a friend with two PHDs and is one of the smartest guys I know (plus a pretty good jazz sax player).  He once (1970's) flunked out of the New School in NYC---basically a school without grades, I believe.  I can guarantee you, his IQ was not an issue. Every school has tutors available and anyone can get someone else to do their work. They doesn't take much of an IQ---it might take common sense, and a willingness to do it. But measuring that isn't the strength of the IQ tests. Plus since when did D1 universities give their star athletes a CHOICE in whether they have a tutor? Is that how you think it works?

In the mid 80's I was teaching many classes at UB and was a visiting assistant professor at Canisius. One of my Canisius classes was known to be a very easy A (due to the prof I was filling in for). I told the students up-front, I was not that professor, and I didn't just give out As and Bs. I had several athletes in that class . Their coach would call me once every week, or two, to check on their progress. I told him the same thing all the time. "I don't know who that is, because he has never been to class." or "Yes he comes to class, on occasion, but sleeps in the back of the class (or simply doesn't participate)." Same thing, every call. No changes. I gave a TAKE HOME final. Got five exact copies of the same F paper---even the same spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, etc.--but in different handwriting. I failed them all. At the end of the year the dean (not me) called me in to see if I would change their grades. I showed him the damning evidence and refused to change the grades. (I have no idea if the dean overturned my grades, but I was done there, anyway.) I can tell you this. Not one of those athletes failed due to their IQ.

No doubt he'll be falling all over himself to slobber on Belicheat's knob.  That's just the way of the troll. Especially one as self-important, and as Ms. WEO.

Citing a guy who got 2 PhD's in this discussion of players who are not earning (or there to earn) PhD's is silly.  So is mentioning you experience 30+ years ago teaching athletes in non-Div 1 college football schools--the actual topic of discussion.  And yes, as you point out, these guys are likely NOT given a choice of whether they have a tutor or not--making failure all the more unusual.

But your real intellectual surrender is revealed when you resort to both reassigning my gender AND the homophobic slur you tossed in.  Strongly argued Professor. 

...I told the students up-front, I was not that professor, and I didn't just give out As and Bs. I had several athletes in that class . Their coach would call me once every week, or two, to check on their progress. I told him the same thing all the time. "I don't know who that is, because he has never been to class." or "Yes he comes to class, on occasion, but sleeps in the back of the class (or simply doesn't participate)." Same thing, every call. No changes. I gave a TAKE HOME final. Got five exact copies of the same F paper---even the same spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, etc.--but in different handwriting. I failed them all. At the end of the year the dean (not me) called me in to see if I would change their grades. I showed him the damning evidence and refused to change the grades. (I have no idea if the dean overturned my grades, but I was done there, anyway.) I can tell you this. Not one of those athletes failed due to their IQ.

Sir, I like your style.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Citing a guy who got 2 PhD's in this discussion of players who are not earning (or there to earn) PhD's is silly.  So is mentioning you experience 30+ years ago teaching athletes in non-Div 1 college football schools--the actual topic of discussion.  And yes, as you point out, these guys are likely NOT given a choice of whether they have a tutor or not--making failure all the more unusual.

But your real intellectual surrender is revealed when you resort to both reassigning my gender AND the homophobic slur you tossed in.  Strongly argued Professor. 

Homophobic slur?  I honestly have absolutely no idea where you are getting that. "Mrs WEO" is about the only thing I can find. Suggesting you might be a woman is in no way homophobic. It isn't even sexist. Although it is a comment (and a little joke) at your expense based on your sex. But it is no way suggests being a Mrs is anything less/inferior to a Mr.  I just figured it might get your goat. Which I guess it did. And typically  I try to be above that sort of thing. But since you are a troll here, I won't let it bother me.

And, once again you failed to support your mean-spirited assumption Beals was academically ineligible due to a low IQ. In fact you have provided more of an argument suggesting his IQ probably isn't an issue, at all. 

Wouldn't have just have been easier to admit, you have no idea whatsoever why Sam Beals became academically ineligible?  Because that's the truth.

Edited by The Dean

29 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Homophobic slur?  I honestly have absolutely no idea where you are getting that. "Mrs WEO" is about the only thing I can find. Suggesting you might be a woman is in no way homophobic. It isn't even sexist. Although it is a comment (and a little joke) at your expense based on your sex. But it is no way suggests being a Mrs is anything less/inferior to a Mr.  I just figured it might get your goat. Which I guess it did. And typically  I try to be above that sort of thing. But since you are a troll here, I won't let it bother me.

And, once again you failed to support your mean-spirited assumption Beals was academically ineligible due to a low IQ. In fact you have provided more of an argument suggesting his IQ probably isn't an issue, at all. 

Wouldn't have just have been easier to admit, you have no idea whatsoever why Sam Beals became academically ineligible?  Because that's the truth.

If he is mad about Mrs. WEO imagine how upset he gets when hisPatsare in town and they are selling those "Brady is a Lady" t-shirts.

• Haha (+1) 1

Homophobic slur?  I honestly have absolutely no idea where you are getting that. "Mrs WEO" is about the only thing I can find.

You didn't look very hard...

On July 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM, The Dean said:

No doubt he'll be falling all over himself to slobber on Belicheat's knob.  

Brilliant stuff.

Calling me a "troll" to cover for your weak contribution isn't as effective as you imagine.  I'm sure, 30yeas ago, the colleges in the metro Buffalo area were proud to have such an intellect as a substitute teacher.

2 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

I’m pretty sure I read that all 32 teams did their due dillegence by sending at least someone to this kids pro day so... ??‍♂️

Oh don't get me wrong.  I would never infer that lack of intelligence is a barrier to entry into the NFL.  It's not surprising that all 32 teams would show up.  There' s plenty of room in the league for this kid, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Don’t get between WEO and TD SoCo. Bad things man, bad things.

I'm here to help!

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You didn't look very hard...

Brilliant stuff.

Calling me a "troll" to cover for your weak contribution isn't as effective as you imagine.  I'm sure, 30yeas ago, the colleges in the metro Buffalo area were proud to have such an intellect as a substitute teacher.

Ah yes your metaphoric mouth-bath of Billy the Cheater's privates. I completely forgot about that remark. I can see how, out of context, it might be viewed as somewhat homophobic. I must have overlooked it as, in this instance, it was simply an description of what many here have already observed. Don't be insulted. Just come out of that closet, and proudly admit your man-crush on Belicheat. Oh, and that you actually dislike the Bills, and are just trolling here.

For what it's worth, I actually was presented with the "Excellence in Teaching" award for graduate students, at UB. I typically don't bring it up, because I think those kinds of awards are mostly nonsense. But I'm still in contact with some former students, and they sing my praise. OTOH, I'm sure there are others who wish they never had to deal with me. 

16 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Ah yes your metaphoric mouth-bath of Billy the Cheater's privates. I completely forgot about that remark. I can see how, out of context, it might be viewed as somewhat homophobic. I must have overlooked it as, in this instance, it was simply an description of what many here have already observed. Don't be insulted. Just come out of that closet, and proudly admit your man-crush on Belicheat. Oh, and that you actually dislike the Bills, and are just trolling here.

For what it's worth, I actually was presented with the "Excellence in Teaching" award for graduate students, at UB. I typically don't bring it up, because I think those kinds of awards are mostly nonsense. But I'm still in contact with some former students, and they sing my praise. OTOH, I'm sure there are others who wish they never had to deal with me. 

Pure nonsense indeed...

On 7/1/2018 at 3:41 PM, /dev/null said:

Its kind of like a silent auction.  

7 rounds and every team has a pick each round corresponding to this years NFL draft, but without trades.  So KC has their first round pick, Houston has their first round pick, Cleveland has the first pick of the 3rd round, etc

Teams then bid on what round they would draft the player.  Highest bid is awarded the player.  Team loses the corresponding pick in the following years draft.  

What if there are multiple bids for the same round?

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's not true. It's settled by a naked steel cage match among the respective team GMs. 

I forgot all about that...

pretty much because I couldn’t get the picture of Whaley wrestling in the nude out of my mind ?

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I believe it is based on previous draft order... if you are awarded the player you lose the pick next draft

We had the 96th pick in the 3rd rd and the 121st pick in the 4th rd. (Late 3rd, mid 4th). That doesn't put us in great shape if there is competition for this guy.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I believe it is based on previous draft order... if you are awarded the player you lose the pick next draft

24 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

We had the 96th pick in the 3rd rd and the 121st pick in the 4th rd. (Late 3rd, mid 4th). That doesn't put us in great shape if there is competition for this guy.

Here are the rules as explained for last years supplemental draft, so 2017 is 2018.

The process for the draft order is pretty simple. The draft starts with the 10 worst teams (based on the 2017 NFL Draft order) in the first drawing, picking the order to select first through 10th. There's a second drawing with the 10 next worst teams after that. The third drawing will feature the 12 playoff teams from last season.

Once that's determined, the draft starts. Teams submit bids for players in certain rounds without knowledge of what other teams are doing, much like a blind auction, and the highest bid wins. The price that's paid comes in the form of a draft pick next year.

Here is the article.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/11/15949024/2017-supplemental-draft-rules-players-how-it-works

• Like (+1) 2