Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

46 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The White Album was always my favorite. I really liked "Savoy Truffle" and was never sure exactly why lol.

I looked up that song on Wiki and it said Harrison wrote it about Clapton's love for sweets, and how it was hurting his teeth ("you'll have to have them all pulled out after the savoy truffle").

Who knew?

Savoy Truffle is also one of my favs on the White Album, that and Sexy Sadie. The one I don’t get is Dear Prudence, great song but many fans I’ve seen call it their all-time fav, where to me it’s the middle of the pack.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/20/2018 at 12:07 PM, Rico said:

Savoy Truffle is also one of my favs on the White Album

Ringo on this and Cry Baby Cry with the 2018 release... finally.... and a good reason for the tepid to stop saying the whole side 4 could have been not-released

always joked that Ringo on Birthday was a jab at the highest levels Macca could reach on the skins.

Edited by row_33

• 2 weeks later...

Twickenham rehearsals began this week in 1969.

The rehearsals and recording sessions for the album did not run smoothly.

The movie captured a few incidents of note.

Edited by row_33

I like the early album with It Won’t Be Long, the tracks varied between US/UK/Canada until the CDs merged it

that has their rough chops on record before they smoothed things out, John’s vocal range  and delivery on that track and Money were never repeated.

i will give a few weekly updates on the 1969 sessions, I have no memorialized knowledge on how they went through singles and tracks that wound up on Let It Be/Abbey Road/All Things Must  Pass

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm surprised how little love the first 3 or 4 albums are getting.  

Or the first one... A Taste of Honey still gives me goosebumps... have 4 copies of that one, all legit.

• Like (+1) 1

1969, Paul intros Get Back, still in primitive lyric form

he also starts up with Maxwell's Silver Hammer, this will be a contentious matter as nobody else liked it and it went on and on and on with rehearsals and recording time

• Like (+1) 1

Today in 1969, George quits the group.

Earlier in the week, and on film....

GEORGE: Well, okay, I don’t mind, I’ll play, you know, whatever you want me to play. Or I won’t play at all, if you don’t want me to play. Now, whatever it is that will please you, I’ll do it. [pause] But I don’t think you really know what that one is. [long pause; playing]

On 1/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, row_33 said:

Today in 1969, George quits the group.

Earlier in the week, and on film....

GEORGE: Well, okay, I don’t mind, I’ll play, you know, whatever you want me to play. Or I won’t play at all, if you don’t want me to play. Now, whatever it is that will please you, I’ll do it. [pause] But I don’t think you really know what that one is. [long pause; playing]

I received a copy of "Revolution in the Head" yesterday and I have been randomly going through it.  Lots of interesting info but when the author starts referencing music structure terms I am totally lost.   When his "critic personality" kicks in, I frequently disagree with him but it is still worth the read.

Thanks so much for the reference.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I received a copy of "Revolution in the Head" yesterday and I have been randomly going through it.  Lots of interesting info but when the author starts referencing music structure terms I am totally lost.   When his "critic personality" kicks in, I frequently disagree with him but it is still worth the read.

Thanks so much for the reference.

Everyone who publishes has to come up with something novel, his sweeping theories are interesting and I learned a lot from him.

And, like you state, I also completely dismiss a lot of his buildups and conclusions.  It’s a good read in slightly deeper analysis than a puff piece in Rolling Stone magazine.

I’m too young, born in 66, to harp on the 60s as a time where rock music should have brought utopia to us. I like this era’s music best and see the good and bad ways it changed our lives to this day.

As a lousy left handed drummer I enjoyed his comments on Ringo’s unique fills from playing right handed while naturally a lefty. And the way they broke music theory through ignorance and input from George Martin to bring it back into a novel but very listenable form.

This book and Lipstick Traces are my favourites for pop/rock cultural analysis.

it’s only rock and roll....

• Like (+1) 1

———————

and i I patiently wait for Lewisohn’s second instalment in hopefully the most honest and researched bio to date about the Fab Four.....

2021 is now the earliest......

Edited by row_33

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I just voted for the White album.  The one with ‘Helter Skelter’ on It.  The Gase press conference made me do it...

have you heard the 2018 remix, or bought the whole or part of the package?

By the way, the remixed White Album is on streaming service now. I know a lot of people here are audiofiles and will want to get the CD or vinyl. But if you just want to hear the demos and unreleased material, and are okay with streaming audio quality, you can do it without breaking the bank. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

By the way, the remixed White Album is on streaming service now. I know a lot of people here are audiofiles and will want to get the CD or vinyl. But if you just want to hear the demos and unreleased material, and are okay with streaming audio quality, you can do it without breaking the bank. 

A few I had not heard before, I will settle for listening on youtube and other free options these days.

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A few I had not heard before, I will settle for listening on youtube and other free options these days.

My birthday is in June, so my brother buys me six months of Napster for my birthday, and the other six months for Christmas. That, on top of his Hulu and Netflix passwords, make it the greatest gifts that keep on giving.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My birthday is in June, so my brother buys me six months of Napster for my birthday, and the other six months for Christmas. That, on top of his Hulu and Netflix passwords, make it the greatest gifts that keep on giving.

excellent, make sure you keep tight with your bother for the rest of your life (small gripe there on mistakes I regret...)

this is the best gift for this middle aged Beatles obsessive, never thought they'd deliver on an honest remix on the White Album

Edited by row_33

------------------------

the week that was in 1969.

Yellow Submarine album released in the US, with the second side an instrumental waste.  Peaks at #2 as the White Album was still in control of the charts.

George continues his holdout and the others try to keep going in the bad morale.

Canada's CBC gets this interview  "2 Junkies" for us...

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

On a somewhat related subject...

I was thinking today, who will be the last one standing(Beatles, Beatles who were given the boot, & Beatles homewrecker; lol)...

Pete Best

Ringo

Sir Paul

Yoko

Yoko will get to sing at all their funerals

just because...

• Haha (+1) 1

------------------------

Over the last few days in 1969...

George returns with more bargaining power than before, in reality he is the only one with a handful of pop masterpieces currently in his stock...

sessions are going to move from the freezing huge tomb of Twickenham to Apple HQ, beginning on the 20th.

Edited by row_33

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

On a somewhat related subject...

I was thinking today, who will be the last one standing(Beatles, Beatles who were given the boot, & Beatles homewrecker; lol)...

Pete Best

Ringo

Sir Paul

Yoko

The irony of Paul and Ringo being the last two to live. Paul was allegedly dead in 1967 (although I've read some people still believe that). And Ringo was given six months to live when he was born. 

37 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The irony of Paul and Ringo being the last two to live. Paul was allegedly dead in 1967 (although I've read some people still believe that). And Ringo was given six months to live when he was born. 

They seemed the more breezy and less-introspectiveand self-torturing and finger-pointing of the Fab Four

maybe it adds years to one's life

at the very least they didn't tick off lunatics who went and shot or stabbed them

at times i wish we did have John around for his wry commentary on the last 40 years....

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some stray comment read this week about John & Yoko enjoying Russian choirs singing carols, recordings used on Revolution 9, and on a whim the first 2 youtube recordings of choirs I went to started with a tolling of the bell sounding like the opening of the Plastic Ono Band album.

I didn’t vote cuz I love them all. Mom brought home the 45rpm I Saw Her Standing There & I Want To Hold Your Hand in December ‘63, while everyone was still reeling from November 22nd. Fell in love and a little over a month later, Ed Sullivan introduced them. Hooked for life. I told my Dad that night “I want a guitar and grow my hair long!” I got the guitar, but it was years before he let me grow my hair.. If I had to guess, Revolver, Rubber Soul & Abbey Road rate at the top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Going to see the Fab Four this weekend. They're probably the best Beatles tribute band I've ever heard. @Gugny saw them. I saw them last year, but wife and I are taking her dad this time. 

Enjoy!

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Going to see the Fab Four this weekend. They're probably the best Beatles tribute band I've ever heard. @Gugny saw them. I saw them last year, but wife and I are taking her dad this time. 

Enjoy, just saw the Genesis tribute band The Musical Box last week, I forgot that for the first few tours with Phil singing they hired Bill Bruford to play drums, which was sort of repped by a Phil look-alike out front for the Trick and Wind songs.

A nice man to have waiting in the wings to fill in on drums.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

------------

50 years ago.....  they regroup at Apple to start recording again

turns out Magic Alex is a total fraud, he hasn't set up anything at all, let alone a recording system way better than ever dreamed possible, so haul over the equipment from EMI Abbey Road.....  ah, the 60s idealism...

Paul introduces Every Night

George brings Billy Preston into the studio

George's Window, Window is ignored

Don't Let Me Down is recorded as a single

Coda used in the Get Back single is recorded

George introduces Something

John introduces I Want You (SSH)

Allen Klein meets the group for the first time, let the fun begin...

The rooftop 5 songs are agreed on for later.

This was on the official Beatles Facebook today.

We are proud to announce an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson 

The new film will be based around 55 hours of never-released footage of The Beatles in the studio, shot between January 2nd and January 31st, 1969. These studio sessions produced The Beatles’ Grammy Award winning album Let It Be, with its Academy Award winning title song. The album was eventually released 18 months later in May 1970, several months after the band had broken up.

The filming was originally intended for a planned TV special, but organically turned into something completely different, climaxing with The Beatles’ legendary performance on the roof of Apple's Savile Row London office — which took place exactly 50 years ago today.

Peter Jackson said, "The 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio made available to us, ensures this movie will be the ultimate ‘fly on the wall’ experience that Beatles fans have long dreamt about."

“I was relieved to discover the reality is very different to the myth,” continues Jackson, “it’s simply an amazing historical treasure-trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama - but none of the discord this project has long been associated with. Watching John, Paul, George, and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating - it’s funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate”.  

"I’m thrilled and honoured to have been entrusted with this remarkable footage - making the movie will be a sheer joy."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

This was on the official Beatles Facebook today.

there may have been a reason it wasn't released, the footage they officially allowed was dismal enough

nonetheless, bring it on!!

So I've made it clear here that I'm a bigger Stones fan than The Beatles. Still absolutely love The Beatles, but I'm a bigger Stones fan. So for Christmas, my whole family pooled together and bought me field seats for the Stones concert in April. My wife told me there was some sort of VIP package involved. Not a meet and greet, but commemorative poster and book or something like that, she didn't really remember. 

So I went online to see what it was. The official website for NRG Stadium (Texans) had a disclaimer on there stating "Paul McCartney will not be performing at this show." Now, as we know, Paul McCartney, in his 60 or so years in the music industry, has never been a member of the Rolling Stones, so I had no reason to suspect that he was playing. But now I'm suspicious. Was this originally planned as a double headline tour/show? Is Paul a surprise special guest (fingers crossed)?