Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don't get why the Aerosmith version gets more airplay than the original. It isn't bad per se. But there's nothing new about it. They didn't do anything that the Beatles already did on the original. It's not like Proud Mary by Tina Turner, or All Along the Watchtower from Hendrix, which are covers, but completely different. They didn't bring anything new to the table with it.

John lost a copyright infringement over the sound and lyrics to Chuck Berry to "You Can't Catch Me", I think John had to release the Rock and Roll solo album as part of the settlement.

There may be a hassle on it to this day until it becomes pubic domain in a few years, you never know how catalogues are protecting every last penny and sometimes taking songs off the market.... look at how certain artists are vigilant in keeping anything recorded off youtube. 

The Beatles and Stones publishing and other rights are a good jumble.

• Like (+1) 1

------------------------------------

a few years ago at a client"s the Big 500 countdown of oldies from 1956 to 1984 was on a radio, The Beatles were not a part of it, they'd take up 20 easily.

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don't get why the Aerosmith version gets more airplay than the original. It isn't bad per se. But there's nothing new about it. They didn't do anything that the Beatles already did on the original. It's not like Proud Mary by Tina Turner, or All Along the Watchtower from Hendrix, which are covers, but completely different. They didn't bring anything new to the table with it.

Dave Mason did it right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I've been following this thread with interest from the sidelines. Great stuff, particularly when the Stones entered the conversation.

Thread seems to have died down, so a bit off topic but I'm interested whether the die-hards think this cover is any good. I think Warren crushes She Said

I don't know that I've ever seen Gov't Mule be bad lol.  Youtube Gov't Mule Soulshine and enjoy one of any of the links!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

John lost a copyright infringement over the sound and lyrics to Chuck Berry to "You Can't Catch Me", I think John had to release the Rock and Roll solo album as part of the settlement.

There may be a hassle on it to this day until it becomes pubic domain in a few years, you never know how catalogues are protecting every last penny and sometimes taking songs off the market.... look at how certain artists are vigilant in keeping anything recorded off youtube. 

The Beatles and Stones publishing and other rights are a good jumble.

Wow!  Never realized that.  I must say, I really don't hear it...but your info checks out.  

• 2 weeks later...

Since the White Album won, it’s the 50th anniversary of the sessions, today they messed around with throway Oblidi-Oblada, Paul’s indulgent perfectionism driving everyone up the wall

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Today in 1968, 15 takes on Revolution over 6.5 hours, it wound up the B side to Hey Jude.

I think Hey Jude was the B side, actually.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

"Hey Jude" was released on 26 August 1968 in the United States and 30 August in the United Kingdom, backed with "Revolution" on the B-side of a 7-inch single.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Jude#Release

Lennon wanted "Revolution" to be the A-side of the single, but the other Beatles did not agree. In his 1970 interview with Rolling Stone, he said "Hey Jude" was worthy of an A-side, "but we could have had both." In 1980, he told Playboy he still disagreed with the decision.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
Add more

I found an album on my streaming app called "Soul Tribute to the Beatles." Amazing lineup.

1. Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett (Duane Allman on guitar)
  2. Lady Madonna - Fats Domino
  3. Yesterday - Marvin Gaye
  4. Let It Be - Aretha Franklin
  5. Come Together - Ike & Tina Turner
  6. Day Tripper - Otis Redding
  7. And I Love Her (Him) - Esther Phillips
  8. I Want to Hold Your Hand - Al Green
  9. Can't Buy Me Love - The Supremes
  10. Michelle - Four Tops
  11. Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth Wind & Fire
  12. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - Natalie Cole

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

As more of a Lennon fan, I am nodding, but no....

did that Moon in June and Swoon song by Macca get anywhere?

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I had to look it up myself. It's one of those cases where A Side/B Side is a technical formality. 

that was Paul's biggest tune with them, he can have the A-side honours...  :D

Edited by row_33

-------------------

overdub on Revolution (single) and Obladi-Oblada in 1968

Paul drove everyone nuts on 42 hours (!!!) on "Paul's Granny Shiite"

Geoff Emerick quit on production after this was finally finished... RIngo was soon to follow for a few days, George as well, John found solace in his new woman and heroin

John on piano...

i assume you've all heard this version...

Edited by row_33

--------------------------

Today in 1968 the violin solo for Don't Pass Me By was recorded, along with work on other songs mentioned

Always preferred the mono mix of the White Album, big difference on DPMB starting with speed/pitch

On 7/10/2018 at 12:14 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I found an album on my streaming app called "Soul Tribute to the Beatles." Amazing lineup.

1. Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett (Duane Allman on guitar)
  2. Lady Madonna - Fats Domino
  3. Yesterday - Marvin Gaye
  4. Let It Be - Aretha Franklin
  5. Come Together - Ike & Tina Turner
  6. Day Tripper - Otis Redding
  7. And I Love Her (Him) - Esther Phillips
  8. I Want to Hold Your Hand - Al Green
  9. Can't Buy Me Love - The Supremes
  10. Michelle - Four Tops
  11. Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth Wind & Fire
  12. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - Natalie Cole

Although a tad bluesy. 13) should be I am The Walrus - Spooky Tooth

John Lennon once remarked their version to be the best cover version of any Beatles tune. 

12 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Although a tad bluesy. 13) should be I am The Walrus - Spooky Tooth

John Lennon once remarked their version to be the best cover version of any Beatles tune. 

John said a lot of things that reflected his mind for that second of time only...  :D

• Like (+1) 1

July 18th and 19th, 1968

Helter Skelter sessions, the longest take at 27 minutes is never released to the public.

and Sexy Sadie time, takes 1-21, and John improvises a song about Brian & Clive Epstein

I read the news today oh boy...

Abby Road first but St. Peppers close second

On 7/12/2018 at 8:46 AM, row_33 said:

--------------------------

Today in 1968 the violin solo for Don't Pass Me By was recorded, along with work on other songs mentioned

Always preferred the mono mix of the White Album, big difference on DPMB starting with speed/pitch

A Ringo song! One of my favs!