World Cup 2018 Thread

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

imagine if in football you just punted on 2nd down the whole game,

Or, god forbid, rest your starters in a meaningless NFL regular season ending game if you've already locked your best possible playoff berth. No NFL team would ever do that...?

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

2 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Or, god forbid, rest your starters in a meaningless NFL regular season ending game if you've already locked your best possible playoff berth. No NFL team would ever do that...?

Or build an entire hockey team incapable of winning games to give you better chance of drafting 1st overall...

• Sad 1

Just now, Jon in Pasadena said:

And still manage, somehow, to !@#$ that up...

Don't you worry, and I take no joy in saying this, England will find a way to fudge it up too.  They'll beat a tough Colombia and then trip up against Sweden/Switz.

42 minutes ago, stony said:

Don't you worry, and I take no joy in saying this, England will find a way to fudge it up too.  They'll beat a tough Colombia and then trip up against Sweden/Switz.

Well, I'm locked into Japan for family reasons, but they have a tough row to hoe with Belgium, and then if by some miracle they win, next facing the winner of Brazil/Mex...:death:

I think that this might actually be the year that England manages to make it to the finals and then break their fans' hearts.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

Brazil looked really good in their last group game.  Something clicked for them and they looked like themselves again for the first time in a while.  That's scary.  That Brazil vs Mexico game on Monday is a must watch for me.  I'm rooting for Mexico, but they will have to play at their absolute best to have a chance.

I agree that quite a few teams have a real shot.  It's interesting to see which teams get better as the tournament goes on and who's willing to give that extra effort and to grind out the close ones.  I really can't guess who will win it.  Brazil, Belgium, Uruguay, Croatia, Portugal, England. Spain,... who knows.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:53 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

You should write to FIFA with your recommendations on the proper way to qualify teams for the WC.  I'm sure they'll be very interested in your ideas.

If you do you better send a check with it, otherwise it is guaranteed to be ignored.   On the other hand, if the check is really big they will be glad to change the format to anything you like.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

If you do you better send a check with it, otherwise it is guaranteed to be ignored.   On the other hand, if the check is really big they will be glad to change the format to anything you like.

You can buy Paris St Germain and get your country to host the next WC although you have no stadiums and the temperature will be 50 Celsius. And take down the reputation of one of the most respected former players Of the game.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

Am I watching a soccer game with actual scoring and excitement?  Holy cow, now 4-2 Les Bleus!

Seriously, I woke up for the second half and that was quite a treat.   Can't believe Argentina had a final shot to tie the game.  Glad they are done.