[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or expressing your opinion. But if this season ended now in a short-circuited season Housley would be under serious consideration for coach of the year. Botterilll has done a tremendous job in upgrading the roster from last year. The team has gone from being the worst in the NHL to being the biggest surprise story in the league. Yet, the reality is that this roster still needs requires patience for its young players to mature and develop. And it has to be acknowledged that this is still not a complete roster. 

As it currently stands there is not enough secondary scorers outside of the first line. (That's obvious.) That puts a lot of pressure on that primary line. Will the GM go outside for scoring help or will he be patient and hope that internal growth from this roster and its Rochester farm club be enough to sustain the team for now? My sense is that for the most part Botterill is going to rely on his in-house assets within the organization rather than deal off assets to get different assets to balance out the roster. Sometimes when the team is undergoing some struggles under the fog of the immediate situation we lose sight of the optimistic picture of the big picture. Let's stay the course. 

Couldn't agree more.   If there's a long term positive deal to be had at the deadline,  then by all means.   Otherwise just keep doing what you're doing because it's clear we are moving in the right direction. 

People are freaking out a little but this is pretty much what young, talented teams do.   The injuries have added up and losing McCabe has made his value even more obvious. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Paul Hamilton has talked about this as well, but I thiink Sabres have had a lead in 7 games now of 8( Nashville excluded$ and spit it every time. They win 2 of those , but a disturbing trend to be sure. 

Housley on the hot seat!

I am with you... There some underlying coaching flaws.

IMO, coaching is 70% of the game... Getting the lines, talent, shifts to fire at the right times.

We saw what Coach Q. did with Blackhawks after dumping a "Legacy Coach" in Denis Savard.  I hate legacy coaches, so hard to eviscerate.

Something isn't right, they should be firing on their cylinders a bit better.  That falls on coach.  I will cut them a break for a while till the 10 game streak wears off.  But, if they squander it... It falls on Housley

6 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Couldn't agree more.   If there's a long term positive deal to be had at the deadline,  then by all means.   Otherwise just keep doing what you're doing because it's clear we are moving in the right direction. 

People are freaking out a little but this is pretty much what young, talented teams do.   The injuries have added up and losing McCabe has made his value even more obvious. 

Pilut was brought up from Rochester and based on what I have seen I doubt that he will be sent back down. He has really been impressive. Guhle and Nylander should be ready to make the jump either sometime this season or next season. That's a lot of young players marinating in the system and also playing with the big club. If you include Mittelstadt and also Tage Thompson in this mix then that is a large group of young players either playing now or near ready to make the jump up to the big club. Because there are so many young players it shouldn't be surprising that the level of play is going to be inconsistent. It's shouldn't be surprising that this team can sometimes frustrate you because of one's elevated expectations. But if you stand back and consider where we were last year and where we are currently at then one's view should be very optimistic. 

The Toronto game was a measuring stick game. We played a terrific game under a very difficult situation related to the brutal schedule. We are far from being an elite team but we do have the wherewithal to compete with the best. Stay the course!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Pilut was brought up from Rochester and based on what I have seen I doubt that he will be sent back down. He has really been impressive. Guhle and Nylander should be ready to make the jump either sometime this season or next season. That's a lot of young players marinating in the system and also playing with the big club. If you include Mittelstadt and also Tage Thompson in this mix then that is a large group of young players either playing now or near ready to make the jump up to the big club. Because there are so many young players it shouldn't be surprising that the level of play is going to be inconsistent. It's shouldn't be surprising that this team can sometimes frustrate you because of one's elevated expectations. But if you stand back and consider where we were last year and where we are currently at then one's view should be very optimistic. 

The Toronto game was a measuring stick game. We played a terrific game under a very difficult situation related to the brutal schedule. We are far from being an elite team but we do have the wherewithal to compete with the best. Stay the course!

Regarding Pilut, what do you propose Botterill do when all of McCabe, Scandella, and Nelson return from IR? Pilut is the only one of the group that can be sent down without having to clear waivers. Tough choices coming up since Pilut certainly belongs. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Regarding Pilut, what do you propose Botterill do when all of McCabe, Scandella, and Nelson return from IR? Pilut is the only one of the group that can be sent down without having to clear waivers. Tough choices coming up since Pilut certainly belongs. 

You pose a challenging question. My feeling is if Pilut is going to be given serious minutes with one of the defensive pairings then I would keep him up. I like Nelson as a third pairing at best and more of a utility player but would be willing to risk him being claimed. On the other hand if Pilut is not going to be given substantial minutes when the other defensemen return to action then I would prefer that he went back down and get an abundance of playing time in the AHL. Even if he is sent down because of the high incidence of injuries it's probable that he will be again recalled sometime this season. 

The signing of Pilut by Botterill was a remarkable move. We got a young player who is more ready to play than your typical draftee. And he is playing a position of great need. With the addition of Dahlin and Pilot and the return of Bogo our back line has gone through a major upgrade without having to give up any assets. Botterill is a terrific GM!

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I guess you are right.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I guess you are right.

Although Tage Thompson hasn't been the center of our discussions here I like him a lot. Young and tall and lanky players who have skill usually take more time than shorter players because they are less physically developed than the shorter players. An example of this later development trait is Zdeno Chara. (I'm not comparing this HOF player to Tage but using him as an example of late blooming.) Tage can skate and shoot. He is also earnest in trying to play responsibly with his checking. In my humble opinion in a year or two he is going to be really good player for us. The trade of Ryan O'Reilly is going to tilt in our favor as time goes by and Tage matures as a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BigMcD said:

He’s not signing an offer sheet. Be careful what you wish for. Start a trend and Dahlin might be prime for the picking as well! 

You have no idea what he'll sign.  The leafs can't keep everyone and they'll be vulnerable to both Matthews and Marner getting one. Watch out for the Coyotes. 

Just now, BigMcD said:

Not at all, in fact, you seem more concerned with the Leafs than you do with The Sabres. But that’s typical of Buffalo fans. 

You are uninformed as I rarely post about the Loafs in this thread or any other.  Ruffled your feathers I see newbie. Have a good night. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You are uninformed as I rarely post about the Loafs in this thread or any other.  Ruffled your feathers I see newbie. Have a good night. 

Really? I’m not a newbie and have read a bunch of your offer sheet crap...mr copy and paste! 

41 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You seem ike a worried Leaf fan. :lol:

The bitterness and jealousy caused by the Leafs dominating is hilarious 

oh, I’m so scared of the contract situation three years down the road

suck it, haters.  :D

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The bitterness and jealousy caused by the Leafs dominating is hilarious 

oh, I’m so scared of the contract situation three years down the road

suck it, haters.  :D

The Freaking Leafs haven't won a cup since the NHL expanded beyond six teams in the 1960's. Domination?  That would be a big fat no! :lol:

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Freaking Leafs haven't won a cup since the NHL expanded beyond six teams in the 1960's. Domination?  That would be a big fat no! :lol:

This season is all that matters going forward

so you people sit there stewing about the Leafs winning and go through their contract situation for hours looking for problems five years from now?

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

This season is all that matters going forward

so you people sit there stewing about the Leafs winning and go through their contract situation for hours looking for problems five years from now?

You mean dummy nation instead of domination.   :lol:

Blow Leaves Blow!

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You mean dummy nation instead of domination.   :lol:

Not bad....

i have fans of six teams telling me about Leafs contract problems down the road

i guess Captain ? Kangaroo talked about it last week?

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Quite happy for the Leafs and all my Sabres fans friends here on TBD, keep up the excellence

OT game 7 for us this time around!!!

If it every came down to Game 7, OT Leafs/Sabres... No doubt the crooked League screws small-market Buffalo in favor of the elite Canadian market.  Too much $$$$$ to be had. Heck, fans probably sit in League HQ.

At least the Cubs had a legit rain delay with Indians... I can't imagine what the Bush League NHL will dream up this time for the Sabres... Ironically almost 20 years to date since the last hose job if they can get that far first skating with one foot tied behind thier back... And causing goalie interference too.  /smh

I simply watch because its us against the world.  The day they stick it up the Bush League's azz, I will quit.  They'd be wise to keep screwing them over... But more evidence will be out.... Keep me following.  LoL...

What a sham.

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They must have hired a flunky Canadian accounting team to oversee Buffalo's whopping 16% chance of getting Dahlin...  the "Duke Brothers from Grimsby."

"Get back there at once and make Carolina or Chicago win!  Ooops, you can't?  There is no video review?"

?

You know you won the lottery, right? Man, you guys are crazy! 

47 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If it every came down to Game 7, OT Leafs/Sabres... No doubt the crooked League screws small-market Buffalo in favor of the elite Canadian market.  Too much $$$$$ to be had. Heck, fans probably sit in League HQ.

At least the Cubs had a legit rain delay with Indians... I can't imagine what the Bush League NHL will dream up this time for the Sabres... Ironically almost 20 years to date since the last hose job if they can get that far first skating with one foot tied behind thier back... And causing goalie interference too.  /smh

I simply watch because its us against the world.  The day they stick it up the Bush League's azz, I will quit.  They'd be wise to keep screwing them over... But more evidence will be out.... Keep me following.  LoL...

What a sham.

I have no animosity for the Sabres or their fans, I just want a good hockey game to watch 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I have no animosity for the Sabres or their fans, I just want a good hockey game to watch 

You won't get it.  Come playoffs, it will be even more tainted.

Take solace Canadian fans.  The NFL is just as crooked now as your game.

God save baseball.  NBA, like hockey has been lost for years.  They actually caught refs on the take.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

You won't get it.  Come playoffs, it will be even more tainted.

Take solace Canadian fans.  The NFL is just as crooked now as your game.

God save baseball.  NBA, like hockey has been lost for years.  They actually caught refs on the take.

Yeah, Canada has gotten so many great benefits in the playoffs the last 30 years

I don’t see a US/Canada thing, my most despised team is the Oil

6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Hey 26, you're off by a few hours, or six, on the start time for the Kings game.

Btw, thanks for all of the updates and info, your stellar work is always appreciated.

Nice catch. Oops... ?

@26CornerBlitz

^^^^I threw that in there^^^^

So they get the notification.  ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (17-9-4) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 31 (MSG-B) vs. LAK (10-18-1) at 7 PM ET on 12/11