Patriots' WR Julian Edelman Facing a Four-Game Suspension for PED Violation

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

My point was that their offense has never been reliant upon receiving talent.

Brady and their offensive scheme are very important of course, but I never discount the factor of talented players. 

40 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not 100% convinced, but I've always been extremely skeptical that a guy that couldn't throw the ball 40 yards in the air and was a career 61% passer at Michigan suddenly became the most accurate QB in the NFL with an excellent deep ball.

No doubt the guy works his ass off and is obsessed with success, and I credit him for that, but man...I work with performance athletes, and guys simply don't get better in their late 30's and 40's.

So the season where (IMO) TB's performance took two steps was 2004 then 2005, when Brady was 27-28.

Is that any more plausible?  It would have been his 5th year working out at an NFL level

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the season where (IMO) TB's performance took two steps was 2004 then 2005, when Brady was 27-28.

Is that any more plausible?  It would have been his 5th year working out at an NFL level

That's definitely the season where he made his big leap...again, I'm not saying I'm convinced, but the meteoric rise from mediocre college QB that barely got drafted to being in the conversation for GOAT was rather sudden and astonishing to say the least.  The fact that he's improved in every single physical facet of playing the position, and continues to do so at ages well beyond those in which the body matures positively adds to the skepticism.

11 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Patriots prove it pays to cheat.  The punishment or lack thereof is almost always worth it.  Have to hand it to them.  Kraft and Belichik’s greatest strength is finding people with no morals who will stop at nothing to succeed.  

That's true. Technically they may not cheat, but they lack sportsmanship, which used to mean something.

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's definitely the season where he made his big leap...again, I'm not saying I'm convinced, but the meteoric rise from mediocre college QB that barely got drafted to being in the conversation for GOAT was rather sudden and astonishing to say the least.  The fact that he's improved in every single physical facet of playing the position, and continues to do so at ages well beyond those in which the body matures positively adds to the skepticism.

Hi Bandit, I understand the skepticism.  I intended to be asking if it was more plausible to you, as a trainer of elite athletes, that a who doesn't juice but just trains hard and consistently, would see a jump in performance in his mid-to-late 20s.

Really not limited to Brady, just asking for shared experience on when guys who take a jump in their training, see a jump in performance (I understand it's not immediate)

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

This is year 1 of the Patriots slow decline. It has been said for years but I think this is definitely the beginning of the end. Mediocre at best FA signings and poor drafting has caught up with them, among other internal issues between the players and staff... 

Wishful thinking? Actually, I don't think so. Key players are reaching the end (even the weirdly extended end) of their runs. The open dissension between Belichick/Brady/Kraft - three huge egos, each of whom wants to be given primary credit for the Pats' incredible run - is a sign. There's no succession plan for Brady; part of Belichick was probably ready to do a Favre/Rodgers things and just hand the reins to Jimmy G. There's no succession plan for Belichick; I imagine Josh McDaniels stuck around because he believes he's the crown prince, but we have no reason to believe he could be the equal to his mentor. Right now they give the feel of "great team, aging, trying to squeeze out one more championship before the inevitable rebuild."  That's why the loss to the Eagles seems to have hurt so much. They're still in a great position this year because, let's face facts, the Jets/Bills/Dolphins aren't ready (yet) to compete fully. But the Bills and the Jets at least seem to finally have management teams in place that know what they're doing and that have an actual plan for success.  

So, against all history, this time I think you're right: the Pats are in the last couple years of their run. It could end with a bang (another SB win, or even two), or with a whimper (a 9-7, early playoff exit, followed by a 5-11 - think of what happened to the Broncos post-Peyton Manning), but, finally, it's coming ...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Please stop talking your a losing franchice always have been always will be... 4 straight Ls 

Maybe you people can cry again this year but not likley. This joke billa team will be lucky to win 5 games.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi Bandit, I understand the skepticism.  I intended to be asking if it was more plausible to you, as a trainer of elite athletes, that a who doesn't juice but just trains hard and consistently, would see a jump in performance in his mid-to-late 20s.

Really not limited to Brady, just asking for shared experience on when guys who take a jump in their training, see a jump in performance (I understand it's not immediate)

Oh absolutely.

3-4 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program should most certainly have the athlete at peak physical condition.

Most of my exposure is power-lifters, who don't typically peak until late 20's at the earliest--more often it's early to mid 30's.  Many of them start out strong--I mean freakishly strong--but yeah, it still takes at least a year or two of honing technique, increasing favorable biomechanics (like ankle mobility for the squat just as an example), establishing leverages, etc. to get them in a position to perform their best in competition.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'd be watching for a big year from Malcolm Mitchell

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Brady and their offensive scheme are very important of course, but I never discount the factor of talented players. 

You should.... when it comes to a team that cheats and has Tom Brady.  They’ll be just fine without the midget for 4 games.  They were fine without Brady for 4 games.  They’ll find a way to go 4-0 or 3-1 vs the Texans, Jags, lions and fish.

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You should.... when it comes to a team that cheats and has Tom Brady.  They’ll be just fine without the midget for 4 games.  They were fine without Brady for 4 games.  They’ll find a way to go 4-0 or 3-1 vs the Texans, Jags, lions and fish.

The Jags game will interest me a lot.  They thought they had a plan to beat the Pats in NE. 

And, through 3 quarters, it looked as though they might succeed.  You got to credit a team's game plan when Blake Bortles has more passing yards than Tom Brady.

Then the wheels fell off in the 4Q.  So the question is, can they improve that plan?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Jags game will interest me a lot.  They thought they had a plan to beat the Pats in NE. 

And, through 3 quarters, it looked as though they might succeed.  You got to credit a team's game plan when Blake Bortles has more passing yards than Tom Brady.

Then the wheels fell off in the 4Q.  So the question is, can they improve that plan?

The plan was fine...the problem was that they backed off the plan to pressure Brady and play tight coverage about halfway through the 4th quarter; Marrone got conservative and went to a prevent D...and the predictable happened.

• Like (+1) 1

The person who posted on Reddit the news of Julian Edelman‘s looming four-game PED suspension a day before ESPN broke the story (which means that ESPN didn’t break the story) has promised another one.

“I’ve actually been sitting on some bigger patriots news for the past few days, still trying to verify that it’s 100% true before putting it out there,” said Redditlover1981. “Regardless I plan to post it here tomorrow evening.”

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Athletes (and males in general) typically reach their performance/athletic peak between 27-30.

Some guys hit it sooner (24-25) some later (29-31)

I think if Brady did juice then is most likely to be late 30s (36-38+) to stave off aging vs when the jump when he actually peaked in his late 20s.

I attributed his rise to a combination of good coaching, peaking physically, good receiving talent (let's remember they got moss), a shift in offensive mindset to passing, change in league passing rules, and bellicheating.

It was a perfect storm.

Edited by SouthNYfan

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The person who posted on Reddit the news of Julian Edelman‘s looming four-game PED suspension a day before ESPN broke the story (which means that ESPN didn’t break the story) has promised another one.

“I’ve actually been sitting on some bigger patriots news for the past few days, still trying to verify that it’s 100% true before putting it out there,” said Redditlover1981. “Regardless I plan to post it here tomorrow evening.”

LOL anyone that listens to Boston radio could make this claim. This guy has zero credibility gain from the Edelman suspension. 

11 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Please stop talking your a losing franchice always have been always will be... 4 straight Ls 

Maybe you people can cry again this year but not likley. This joke billa team will be lucky to win 5 games.

Cmdjr85, you show up every time there is Patsy* news.

It's becoming an obsession.

Maybe you should go upstairs and ask your momma for a hug.