Was Josh Allen the best pick? How will he fare without the best receivers and ol?

I think if the dude could win game surrounded by one-star recruits, he can probably win games surrounded by NFL talent. Granted, the OL and WRs aren't elite NFL talents but they're certainly better than the teams he played on in Wyoming. 

Sal C said yesterday that the kid was inconsistent during practice. He made a point to say he wasn't "wildly" inconsistent (that phrase seemed to apply to EJ a lot) but said he would be 100% on the money with some throws and off on others that he should probably make. 

What I like about Allen is the fact that there isn't a throw he fears. There's no throw that makes him pause and think, "I don't think I can make that." No matter where the ball is going, he has the mindset of "I can hit that" and that's what you want in your QB. On the flip side, you take someone like EJ who seemed to think, "I could probably hit that route but maybe I can't so I better take off and run." Can't remember who wrote it but a scouting report on EJ back in 2013 said it pretty well about how EJ perceives the game. The person EJ trusts the most on the field is himself. For whatever reason, he's too hesitant or not confident enough to make tough throws and give his receivers a chance to make a play. Obviously, it didn't help to have Marrone and Hackett telling him to run any time his first or second read wasn't open. But even before that, you watch Florida State tape with him and he would leave clean pockets or drop his eyes and start tap dancing in the pocket which threw off his timing as he wouldn't see receivers break open or he wouldn't see windows he could throw to that would throw the receivers open. 

From what I can gather, Allen doesn't have that mentality. Allen is going to trust his teammates to be where they're supposed to be. He's going to take that shot into a tight window to try and throw a guy open. And when it comes to improvising, he clearly has the arm talent to make big time throws on the run or off base. There are some ridiculous throws on his college tape. Throws where he's running toward the right sideline and throws across his body 40 yards down the field to the opposite side. There aren't many guys that have the ability to do that. 

Could be wishful thinking or whatever, too optimistic, etc. who knows. But I think the dude has the right mindset to be successful. And I think he has a better feel for the game than other "raw/developmental" prospects. I think it'll take some time but with Daboll preparing to do the New England thing and adjust his offense from week to week, that does nothing but provide a wide range of experience in different types of systems which, you would hope, can only help a player like Allen reach his full potential. In time, hopefully he'll be able to adjust on the fly and have full command of the offense with a solid understanding of what the defense is giving him. In time, I said.

Or he could be the next Jeff George, who knows.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

I think if the dude could win game surrounded by one-star recruits, he can probably win games surrounded by NFL talent. Granted, the OL and WRs aren't elite NFL talents but they're certainly better than the teams he played on in Wyoming. 

Sal C said yesterday that the kid was inconsistent during practice. He made a point to say he wasn't "wildly" inconsistent (that phrase seemed to apply to EJ a lot) but said he would be 100% on the money with some throws and off on others that he should probably make. 

What I like about Allen is the fact that there isn't a throw he fears. There's no throw that makes him pause and think, "I don't think I can make that." No matter where the ball is going, he has the mindset of "I can hit that" and that's what you want in your QB. On the flip side, you take someone like EJ who seemed to think, "I could probably hit that route but maybe I can't so I better take off and run." Can't remember who wrote it but a scouting report on EJ back in 2013 said it pretty well about how EJ perceives the game. The person EJ trusts the most on the field is himself. For whatever reason, he's too hesitant or not confident enough to make tough throws and give his receivers a chance to make a play. Obviously, it didn't help to have Marrone and Hackett telling him to run any time his first or second read wasn't open. But even before that, you watch Florida State tape with him and he would leave clean pockets or drop his eyes and start tap dancing in the pocket which threw off his timing as he wouldn't see receivers break open or he wouldn't see windows he could throw to that would throw the receivers open. 

From what I can gather, Allen doesn't have that mentality. Allen is going to trust his teammates to be where they're supposed to be. He's going to take that shot into a tight window to try and throw a guy open. And when it comes to improvising, he clearly has the arm talent to make big time throws on the run or off base. There are some ridiculous throws on his college tape. Throws where he's running toward the right sideline and throws across his body 40 yards down the field to the opposite side. There aren't many guys that have the ability to do that. 

Could be wishful thinking or whatever, too optimistic, etc. who knows. But I think the dude has the right mindset to be successful. And I think he has a better feel for the game than other "raw/developmental" prospects. I think it'll take some time but with Daboll preparing to do the New England thing and adjust his offense from week to week, that does nothing but provide a wide range of experience in different types of systems which, you would hope, can only help a player like Allen reach his full potential. In time, hopefully he'll be able to adjust on the fly and have full command of the offense with a solid understanding of what the defense is giving him. In time, I said.

Clap! Clap! You answered with an intelligent answer in a dopey post. good job.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that he will be able to easily adjust to the Bills, but the receivers and OL might hurt him 

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I like it!!!!!!!!!!