Which UDFA do yo think has the best shot at making the Bills?

10 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Lorax had three sacks last year and was basically non-existent on defense for most of the year. He was a great story in 2016. He dropped off terribly in 2017.  The kids will play special teams and he will retire the second week of training camp.

Hope I'm wrong and he can bounce back with 8-10 sacks but I think that is very unlikely.

I don’t think he’ll retire or be cut...

but i too many of times have have said he lost a step last year, and he’ll probably lose another. I’ve also said he’s the weakest link on the D. 

I hope im wrong

Keenan Robinson is still a FA and think would be a great fit at SLB. Good side, fast and can cover.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

On 5/30/2018 at 12:07 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

I like Mat Boesen to make the team as a hybrid DE/OLB pass rusher.   That said I am also on record as saying Lorax will not make the final cut.  This team has a stunning lack of talent in the pass rush.  If it comes down to numbers I think they will keep an extra pass rusher and PS a DB or two.  

I think Ike Boetgger, OT Iowa coming off Achilles will make the PS and after a year will challenge for the swing tackle spot.

You think?  He played really well in the playoffs, and probably would be off the field in sub packages - has value on teams, and can play end in a pinch.  He's also a captain so it's kinda tricky.  If they were willing to keep Tolbert, who was a straight up liability, then i think they hang onto him for another year.  If only to help teach some of the young guys what it means to be a pro.

He also only saves about 1.5 million to cut off of his 3.6 contract.  Not sure thats worth it to roll with... lacey/stanford as your 3rd LB.  Stranger things have happened though. 

Edited by dneveu

On 5/29/2018 at 11:26 PM, JoeF said:

Levi is a great guess Superhero...He likely has to beat out Breon Borders, Lafayette Pitts and Ryan Carter if the Bills keep 5 CB's.  I think it will come down to special teams play.

WR Robert Foster would be my pick. 

If i had to pick one ? Foster. but hope more than one gem is found !

On 5/30/2018 at 1:08 PM, IronyAbounds said:

Wallace walked on at Alabama after playing high school ball in Tucson, not exactly a hotbed of football talent (although Blake Martinez is from Tucson). Going from walk on to a starter on scholarship at Alabama shows the ability to learn and grow. My guess is he sticks, although I would also love for deBeer to stick as well.

DeBeer has something to prove. cheering for this kid as well.

I am such a Homer type fan

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

Robert Foster could certainly bring needed speed to the team but having only 14 catches last season under Daboll and having 2 receivers drafted ahead of him, makes me think he could be a long shot. We will just have to wait and see which players step up at the WR position.

They were a running team by all reports. And that frustrated Daboll. But Coach runs the deal. Especially That Head Coach.

Going down the lineup of UDFAs:

Mat Boesen - It's tough to imagine a 238 lb DE who takes just about 5 seconds to cover 40 yards making an NFL roster.

Ike Boettger-Injury probably cost him getting drafted.  He's got good feet and comes from "Offensive Linemen University" (Iowa) so you have to like his chances to make some noise.  Buffalo does have a developmental guy already that they may like in Conor McDermott, so Boettger will really have to turn some heads.  I don't think the Bills are going to keep two developmental guys on the roster.

Gerhard de Beer - You gotta love the story, but he's fighting the same obstacles as Boettger, plus one more - he's about as raw as they come.  He's got intriguing athleticism though.

Ryan Carter - His size is against him in the competition to make the roster.  I think there are other candidates who have an advantage over Carter for depth positions.

Keith Ford - Decent size and speed.  Not the most creative runner in the world, but usually gets positive yardage.  He might have a shot if McDermott decides he's got too much age in his incumbent RB depth.

Robert Foster -  With excellent size, speed and famiarity with Brian Daboll and his offensive schem, it's easy to see why he might have a path to a roster spot.  It's hardly a given, however.  Benjamin, Jones, and Kerley probably are locks to make the roster.  Holmes is an incumbent, though I think he could be vulnerable.  I also think Reilly and Streater proved last year they could be serious competitors for a roster spot, and Malchi Dupre has been making some noise so far in OTAs.  Plus, McDermott has familiarity with Kaelin Clay.  Then you've got the rookies from the most recent draft class.  That's a pretter fair amount of competition even though they're arent established NFL players for the most part.

Mike Love -  Has good measurables for DE.  I imagine Buffalo will carry 4 or 5 on the active roster in September.  Jerry Hughes, Trent Murphy and Shaq Lawson have 3 roster spots nailed down.  That means Love is in competition with Eddie Yarbrough, Marquavius Lewis and Owa Odighizuwa for one or two spots.  Among that group of 4, Love and Odighizuwa have the best measurables.  Lewis has some promoters, though his 40 time is underwhelming, and Yarbrough showed some effectiveness last year.   Love could have a chance with a good showing in training camp, but it's not an easy road by any means.

Tyler Davis -  has prohibitive odds against unseating Steven Hauschka as kicker.

Corey Thompson - has enough speed, and similar size to Matt Millano, who is a lock to make the roster.  You have to figure he has a chance.  Linebackers who are locks to make the roster are Edmunds, Milano, Alexander.  There will likely be 6 or 7 who make the final roster.  So, Thompson has the following as competition for one of possibly four remaining roster spots: Humber -  a veteran who started games for McDermott, Deon Lacey - who has excellent measurables but came from a small school, Tanner Valejo -  who was a rookie draft pick last season, Julian Stanford - who has elite speed but is another small school dude,  and Xavier Woodson-Luster - who is seriously undersized at 219 lbs.  That's 6 candidates for 3 or 4 spots.  Those are probably the best odds for any UDFA this year.

Cam Phillips - isn't a smurf but he doesn't have great size either. Plus, he's by far the slowest receiver on the roster, and that's including Kelvin Benjamin.  He knows how to use his hands to be an effective possession receiver, but it's still hard to imagine he con overcome the speed handicap, because there are other receivers on the roster that can use their hands and are effective possession receivers.  Phillips is not a special teams candidate, so he'd have to make the roster as a receiver only.  I don't see it happening.

Levi Wallace - is a good storyand played well for Alabama, but he has several weaknesses as a cornerback starting with his lack of speed and physicality.  The Bills will carry perrhaps 5 CBs.  Locks are Tre White, Vontae Davis, and rookie Taron Johnson.  So, you've got Borders, Gaines, Pitts competing with UDFAs Wallace and Carter for probably 2 spots.  I think Borders and Gaines have the inside track on making the team, but it's not set in stone.

So, ranking the top 5 threats to make the roster, I think it is Thompson at #1, Robert Foster at #2, Mike Love at #3, Keith Ford at #4, and Ike Boettger at #5. 

Edited by TigerJ