77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

Guys... seriously...?

This just feels obvious.

It's always been Allen.

It's why I've been calling it since OTAs.

Crucify me if I'm wrong. I'm not like some on this board who just run away when they're wrong.

But Allen starting has been pretty close to inevitable since we traded up to get him and didn't try to get a proven, viable alternative in front of him.

tenor.gif?itemid=10036081

I genuinely hope Peterman is the next Tom Brady rather than the terrible starting QB I think he is.

After that 3rd preseason game I said I wanted Peterman rather than Allen to start week 1 specifically because of how horrible our OL has looked.

My head generally likes the move, but I only feel anxiety and no excitement about it.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10036081

I genuinely hope Peterman is the next Tom Brady rather than the terrible starting QB I think he is.

After that 3rd preseason game I said I wanted Peterman rather than Allen to start week 1 specifically because of how horrible our OL has looked.

My head generally likes the move, but I only feel anxiety and no excitement about it.

Look if he’s the next Brady, our Bills fan problems are solved. In the far more likely event that he isn’t , it buys a little time to get Allen prepared and to see what can be done about the OL. Let Peterman play that 4 game gauntlet of horror to start the season and assess the situation afterward. As it’s been said, once they put Allen in, you cannot turn back sink or swim. He gets the balance of three seasons before they have to decide on a 5th year option or not. 

I'm sticking with what I have said all along.  The starter SHOULD be Allen.

I do not think it will be though; it feels like they are going to start Peterman until such time that it all implodes on itself, or he throws 5 picks in a half, or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Look if he’s the next Brady, our Bills fan problems are solved. In the far more likely event that he isn’t , it buys a little time to get Allen prepared and to see what can be done about the OL. Let Peterman play that 4 game gauntlet of horror to start the season and assess the situation afterward. As it’s been said, once they put Allen in, you cannot turn back sink or swim. He gets the balance of three seasons before they have to decide on a 5th year option or not. 

Taking 3 years to decide if Allen can do it  or not do it is absurd.

They will know a lot sooner than that.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:21 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

So the narrative very widely held here seems to be that for those who believe Peterman will start the season, Allen will take over in week 4 or 5 or thereabouts.

Which begs the question: why does Allen take over in week 4 or 5?

Is it because he's ready in week 4 or week 5 even though he wasn't in week 1?

OR

Is it because Peterman just sucked that much in weeks 1-4 that Allen obviously had to be thrust in?

Th first question seems, to me, an obvious no.  If Allen isn't ready now, one month isn't going to suddenly make him magically ready to take the reins.

So that leaves us with Peterman sucking for the first month.  And I think most here saying Allen will start by week 4 or 5 but won't start the season believe it will largely because Peterman isn't playing well and the team is losing.

Well, if average joe message board guy knows that's the reason, don't you think the coaches at One Bills Drive know that, as well?  And if the coaches know that Peterman will force their hands in a month or so because of poor play--and I'm sorry, call this a leap but I think McDermott and Co. understand that teams don't scheme for players in the preseason, which was a massive part of Peterman's preseason success and that he is probably SIGNIFICANTLY easier to scheme for than Allen is--why do you really think the coaches would choose to keep Allen on the bench if they're going to play him anyway in a month?

I was dead right! 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I was dead right! 

About what exactly?

When you said "Transplant might disagree, but Allen is an enormous project."

If that were true, he'd be our 3rd string QB and McCarron never would have been traded.

Or when you said "People might not want to hear it, but this is a guy who was a 2-3 year project"

Despite the fact that this was pretty clearly an open competition Allen was very much in. And that Beane the other day said Allen has warranted an opportunity to start and an unprompted McDermott today said "Josh is on schedule." Well, Josh is one hit (or 5 Interceptions :flirt:) away from starting. Clearly not 2-3 years away in their eyes... but I guess you know better?

Or is this when I responded to one of those posts and posted 

"Please stop pushing the narrative Allen is still a huge project who needs 2-3 years on the bench.

He doesn't.

The only reason Allen should be on the bench at this point is because we don't have even an adequate Offensive Line by NFL standards.

That's it.

If the Bills had the OL of the Cowboys or Raiders, Allen would be the starter and would probably find a lot of success.

He wouldn't be the worst starting QB in the NFL, as you postulated a few posts ago saying the Bills automatically have the worst QB in the league already, no matter who starts."

and you said every word of that post was wrong?

You were dead right that Allen wouldn't start week 1. As I said in that post and others after that 3rd preseason game, I didn't think he should but just still thought he would.

This is the smart decision right now.

But Allen's not going to be on the bench learning for 2-3 years... might not be more than 2-3 games.

Let's hope Sunday isn't a Chargers game repeat making it 2-3 quarters :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The only reason Allen should be on the bench at this point is because we don't have even an adequate Offensive Line by NFL standards.

That's it.

I like Allen but that is just a ridiculous statement. So now we're making excuses as to why a guy isn't starting by blaming other players? 

Allen didn't win the job, period. He has things to work on in his game and those short comings are why he's not starting. 

Hopefully he progresses quickly and he turns into the QB we all hope he can be but he's not there yet.

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

About what exactly?

I said Peterman would start, Allen would backup and McCarron would be cut/traded. 

If Peterman is terrible, I think Allen will be worse this year. The Bills will probably have one of the 2-3 worst offenses in the league due to the QB situation, offensive line and lack of NFL talent at the WR positions. 

19 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm sticking with what I have said all along.  The starter SHOULD be Allen.

I do not think it will be though; it feels like they are going to start Peterman until such time that it all implodes on itself, or he throws 5 picks in a half, or something like that.

Taking 3 years to decide if Allen can do it  or not do it is absurd.

They will know a lot sooner than that.

So you’re saying Allen will be off the roster before the 2020 season ? The team moved up to draft him in the top ten and we don’t even know how many games he will start in 2018. Not giving Allen that time to show if he can be a franchise QB would be ridiculous. Considering he may not have an OL or a good WR until 2019, anything earlier would seem to be jumping the gun. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

So you’re saying Allen will be off the roster before the 2020 season ? The team moved up to draft him in the top ten and we don’t even know how many games he will start in 2018. Not giving Allen that time to show if he can be a franchise QB would be ridiculous. Considering he may not have an OL or a good WR until 2019, anything earlier would seem to be jumping the gun. 

I don't think you quite got the intended message of that post.

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't think you quite got the intended message of that post.

The message was the Bills won’t take 3 years to decide. I think they will. When the time comes for Allen’s 5th year option to be picked up ( a few months after the 2020 season ends) is when it will be known for sure. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The message was the Bills won’t take 3 years to decide. I think they will. When the time comes for Allen’s 5th year option to be picked up ( a few months after the 2019 season ends) is when it will be known for sure. 

That's 2 years.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I said Peterman would start, Allen would backup and McCarron would be cut/traded. 

If Peterman is terrible, I think Allen will be worse this year. The Bills will probably have one of the 2-3 worst offenses in the league due to the QB situation, offensive line and lack of NFL talent at the WR positions. 

With the bold, you were correct.

The rest of your post is your opinion. I don't think it's accurate, primarily because of the addition of Dabol.