Buffalo Weather Reporters are clueless

US Egg

12 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

C'mon, how often are they wrong on long range or short term forecasts ? Too often.

The lake makes it tricky...Aaron Mentkowski and Don Paul are pretty "spot on"....CH 2 is useless IMO.

Edited by Misterbluesky

10 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

600_Jolls_Weather_2.jpg

Seeing this makes me think of the lead in to that 11:00 newscast:  "It's 11 o'clock.  Do you know where your children are?"

I just came from the 'favorite running back' thread on the Stadium Wall.  All I can think of is Travis Henry.  "It's 11 o'clock.  Do you know who your children are?"

7 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

C'mon, how often are they wrong on long range or short term forecasts ? Too often.

A little more detail, please.  Did it not rain when they said it would? Temps in the 50's instead of the 60's? How wrong were they?

You do realize when they say 50% chance of rain, it might not rain where you are. Doesn't mean it didn't rain elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

The lake makes it tricky...

This. The Great Lakes in upstate New York generate a microclimate that makes a prediction often difficult. Here in West Texas where the meteorologists have to deal only with large-size weather patterns (the nearest source of significant amounts of water is 500 miles away, the nearest mountain range more than 200 miles), the predictions even for 4-5 days ahead are usually spot-on. And I don't mean predictions as "no precipitation", because that is true for more than 98% of the time, but such as wind direction and wind speed.  

Edited by DrW

If you don’t like the weather, it will change in five minutes 

at Bills games I sat through five kinds of precipitation for December games 

Chance of vomit from others  was more prevalent in the 70s and 80s though

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

If you don’t like the weather, it will change in five minutes 

at Bills games I sat through five kinds of precipitation for December games 

Chance of vomit from others  was more prevalent in the 70s and 80s though

Remember when you could sneak a whole case of beer under your parka, into game. :lol:

43 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

BFLo is a micro-climate.  It is tricky.

Even the growing season are shifted by around a month compared to say 60 miles east.

Reason why some of the best wine vines are in the deep southern tier and the finger lakes region.

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Reason why some of the best wine vines are in the deep southern tier and the finger lakes region.

Yep!

Warm(er) in winter, cool in summer.  Snow insulates.

Same with the alee side to Lake Michigan.  Warmer in winter there than this windward side Chicago is on.  Grapes and wineries all along Michigan's "west coast."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Weather reporters or actual meteorologists?

Either way, they're issuing an area forecast. If it comes true in any part of that area (not just your location) then they were right. Technically, they should be 70% correct, but I don't think a TV station has standards like that.

You gotta get your forecast from weather.gov. They have standards to uphold.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You do realize when they say 50% chance of rain, it might not rain where you are. Doesn't mean it didn't rain elsewhere.

This. People don't realize how rain can fall differently over close places. Take a look at this map.

https://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/ViewMap.aspx?state=usa

ive been a part of this organization for a few years.

Edited by BillsEnthusiast
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Seeing this makes me think of the lead in to that 11:00 newscast:  "It's 11 o'clock.  Do you know where your children are?"

I just came from the 'favorite running back' thread on the Stadium Wall.  All I can think of is Travis Henry.  "It's 11 o'clock.  Do you know who your children are?"

That Commander Tom showed creeped me out when I was a kid. 

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cool!

Think the corn will be knee high by the 4th of July! :D

Only in Eden.