Roethlisberger publically questions Steelers using 3rd pick on QB

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My point is that they need to surround their franchise quarterback, who only has a couple of years to go, with some more talent. It doesn't make sense to draft Rudolph there. Ben is right JMO.  

And Matt Flynn does not equal Big Ben in any way. It is a totally different situation you are bringing to the table man. 

Again, I didn't bring this to the table. 

What 3rd rounder is going to help this team get to the SB?  They are loaded on offense, and have been.  What D rookie in the 3rd would be surrounding the QB with talent?

I mention Wilson as an ironic counterpoint  to your claim that picking the backup QB in the 3rd wouldn't help the team go to the SB... because that's pretty much the only time any 3rd rounder did that...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again, I didn't bring this to the table. 

What 3rd rounder is going to help this team get to the SB?  They are loaded on offense, and have been.  What D rookie in the 3rd would be surrounding the QB with talent?

I mention Wilson as an ironic counterpoint  to your claim that picking the backup QB in the 3rd wouldn't help the team go to the SB... because that's pretty much the only time any 3rd rounder did that...

Ok I gotcha. I think they have some holes on defense that need to be filled and they have depth issues there, but yeah I get you now.  Ironic counterpoints can be confusing on the interwebs! 

• Like (+1) 1

He's in his late thirties with the maturity and wisdom of a 15 year old.  You expect 15 year olds to do and say stupid thngs once in a while, but when your veteran QB does it, it can't be good for the locker room.

Is it any surprise that a guy as self centered as one that would be suspended by the league over events he put in motion in a night club bathroom would be upset that the team was looking at the long range picture rather than what specifically would benefit him the most?

On 5/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, YoloinOhio said:

One thing is apparent ... Ben isn’t on the TB12 diet :ph34r:

I think he's getting a steady diet of Arby's Beef n Cheddar  and the Roethlisburger special at Primanti's sandwiches.   

From Andy Benoit.

Ben Roethlisberger didn’t understand the Mason Rudolph pick
And why would he? It makes no sense. The Steelers have a Super Bowl ready team now. They have a serviceable veteran backup quarterback in Landry Jones, and behind him, last year’s fourth-round pick, Josh Dobbs. Yes, Roethlisberger has publicly contemplated retirement the last couple of years. But if the Steelers really thought Rudolph could be Roethlisberger’s heir, they would have drafted him with their late-first or late-second-round pick. So when Roethlisberger wonders aloud if the team feels it missed on the Dobbs pick… he’s merely reading the boldfaced writing on the wall. It’s the first thing every Steelers reporter and fan should have asked.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From Andy Benoit.

They have a serviceable veteran backup quarterback in Landry Jones

Landry Jones is due to be a fa at the end of the year.  It took me about 5 seconds to Google that.  Weak from Andy benoit there.

Bigger story here should be why is future hofer big Ben worried about the guy behind him on the depth chart?

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Landry Jones is due to be a fa at the end of the year.  It took me about 5 seconds to Google that.  Weak from Andy benoit there.

Bigger story here should be why is future hofer big Ben worried about the guy behind him on the depth chart?

Did you google that they just drafted Josh Dobbs last year as Benoit mentioned? 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did you google that they just drafted Josh Dobbs last year as Benoit mentioned? 

When would a 4th round draft pick ever preclude someone from drafting the same position?  Both dobbs and landry (who most certainly won't be back) were 4th round picks.  If Dobbs got cut would it really be a big deal?  By year 2 only 74.1% of players are on the team that drafted them.  By year 3 that number drops to 54.3.

To dig further, what if they had a 1st round grade on Rudolph and only took him because he was far and away the top player on their board? A little more googling and I found this: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethlisberger-texted-mason-rudolph-before-the-start-of-steelers-rookie-minicamp/.  Which says the Steelers had him as a first round grade. 

Steelers are planning for life after Big Ben point blank period.  Big Ben doesn't want to admit how close to the end he is.  He's already threatened retirement.  I don't blame the Steelers one bit.

Just now, section122 said:

When would a 4th round draft pick ever preclude someone from drafting the same position?  Both dobbs and landry (who most certainly won't be back) were 4th round picks.  If Dobbs got cut would it really be a big deal?  By year 2 only 74.1% of players are on the team that drafted them.  By year 3 that number drops to 54.3.

To dig further, what if they had a 1st round grade on Rudolph and only took him because he was far and away the top player on their board? A little more googling and I found this: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethlisberger-texted-mason-rudolph-before-the-start-of-steelers-rookie-minicamp/.  Which says the Steelers had him as a first round grade. 

Steelers are planning for life after Big Ben point blank period.  Big Ben doesn't want to admit how close to the end he is.  He's already threatened retirement.  I don't blame the Steelers one bit.

It doesn't matter where Dobbs was drafted. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It doesn't matter where Dobbs was drafted. 

Why not? If Dobbs was a first or second round pick I would be right there with you.  A 4th round pick isn't a significant investment.  It's a crapshoot.  Do you care to explain why you feel it doesn't matter where he was drafted because I don't understand that logic.

For the Bills do you have higher expectations for tremaine Edmunds or tarron johnson?  Would you be more disappointed if Edmunds got cut before next year or johnson?

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

Why not? If Dobbs was a first or second round pick I would be right there with you.  A 4th round pick isn't a significant investment.  It's a crapshoot.  Do you care to explain why you feel it doesn't matter where he was drafted because I don't understand that logic.

For the Bills do you have higher expectations for tremaine Edmunds or tarron johnson?  Would you be more disappointed if Edmunds got cut before next year or johnson?

Once a player is on a team, where he was drafted no longer matters.  For example, Kyle Williams was in the same 2006 draft as John McCargo just as Stevie Johnson was in the same draft as James Hardy. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From Andy Benoit.

And why would he? It makes no sense. The Steelers have a Super Bowl ready team now. They have a serviceable veteran backup quarterback in Landry Jones, and behind him, last year’s fourth-round pick, Josh Dobbs. Yes, Roethlisberger has publicly contemplated retirement the last couple of years. But if the Steelers really thought Rudolph could be Roethlisberger’s heir, they would have drafted him with their late-first or late-second-round pick. So when Roethlisberger wonders aloud if the team feels it missed on the Dobbs pick… he’s merely reading the boldfaced writing on the wall. It’s the first thing every Steelers reporter and fan should have asked.

I kinda like Benoit but this logic makes little sense. He really doesnt comment on Rudolph's potential, if he was worthy of a 3rd round pick. I bet that if Rudolph was picked in round 1 or 2, they would have been criticized for reaching.

As for Big Ben, what a totally self-centered way of looking at the draft. He should have taken the classy route and mentored Rudolph for couple of years and ridden off into the sunset. Not saying he wont do it, but this is not a good way to start a guru-disciple relationship. Guy has been hobbling for a while and there is no way for even him to know if his skills can last 3-4 years. Even for his own sake, he should be focused on one more Superbowl and leaving his legacy as a Steeler team with a solid QB for the future. Instead he blew his chance for that positive first impression. 

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I kinda like Benoit but this logic makes little sense. He really doesnt comment on Rudolph's potential, if he was worthy of a 3rd round pick. I bet that if Rudolph was picked in round 1 or 2, they would have been criticized for reaching.

As for Big Ben, what a totally self-centered way of looking at the draft. He should have taken the classy route and mentored Rudolph for couple of years and ridden off into the sunset. Not saying he wont do it, but this is not a good way to start a guru-disciple relationship. Guy has been hobbling for a while and there is no way for even him to know if his skills can last 3-4 years. Even for his own sake, he should be focused on one more Superbowl and leaving his legacy as a Steeler team with a solid QB for the future. Instead he blew his chance for that positive first impression. 

Plenty of great NFL QBs have had the same posture when their teams select another QB behind them so it's not all that uncommon or surprising. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Plenty of great NFL QBs have had the same posture when their teams select another QB behind them so it's not all that uncommon or surprising. 

You contribute a lot to this board with very useful topics and links but sometimes you pick the weirdest fights.

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Again, not my point. Are you excusing Ben's quotes ? I am not understanding your position on this point. 

The point is that drafting Rudolph with a 3rd round pick and the Steelers in postion to contend for a title makes no sense to him. I get that.