Hawaiian Eruption Imminent?

Foxx

3 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Not really ooze:

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

They can also jet it too the surface, and if it's hot enough it can "ooze" really, really fast.

No one ever listens to me.  You'd think that after the "microwaving soup" thread years back, people would.  But they don't.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No one ever listens to me.  You'd think that after the "microwaving soup" thread years back, people would.  But they don't.

wha?

Still trying to get over 'too the surface'...

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

this is where one of my peeps lives, it is Leilani Avenue in a small subdivison in Puna.

"C'mon, guys, you can stop telling me to be careful already."  As a chunk of lava audibly lands on his roof.  :lol:

What kind of structure could hold lava back? Not hold it back, but divert it where you want.

Would it be an earthen stucture, just to divert it somewhere else.

How about a big reservoir of water.

:lol:

It's fluid and kinda slow... Gotta be something that could redirect.  Again, earthen structures set up to channel it elsewhere? Topographical control factors?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What kind of structure could hold lava back? Not hold it back, but divert it where you want.

Would it be an earthen stucture, just to divert it somewhere else.

How about a big reservoir of water.

:lol:

It's fluid and kinda slow... Gotta be something that could redirect.  Again, earthen structures set up to channel it elsewhere? Topographical control factors?

It's been done - Iceland and Sicily.  Generally, it only buys you time until the particular eruption stops.  

In Iceland, they hit the flow with about a billion gallons of seawater over half a year.  Sicily...berms and trenches to redirect the flow, plus concrete blocks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 7:03 PM, Foxx said:

this is where one of my peeps lives, it is Leilani Avenue in a small subdivison in Puna.

Not sure I'd be able to speak in that situation.  So primal.

Maybe shield volcanoes aren't so nice after all.  Quite insidious and sneaky... What a way to go, death clouds and flying projectiles.  I would rather just have it blow and be done with it (like St.Helens).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-kilaeua-volcano-explosive-eruptions-ballistic-rocks-ashfall-lava-usgs-warning-today-2018-05-09/

https://mobile.twitter.com/USGSVolcanoes/status/994282094904856576/photo/1

Dcxlgv0X0AIFEhq.jpeg

• 1 month later...